Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    Shelburne is closer of course. The Museum is interesting but very buttoned-up New England style as I recall; Bread and Puppet is hippy freaks doing giant puppet shows in a psychedelic, yet family friendly, way, with lots of interesting food booths etc. I remember in the mid-late 80s when I went they did some US imperialism in Latin America thing acted out with the giant puppets. So two different things for sure!
    I just know that the giant ship that is part of the museum is cool AF and my kid will freaking love it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Middlebury is a pretty small town, but it does have an A&W Drive In that you should stop at for lunch. For dinner head north on Route 7 to the Starry Night Cafe in Ferrisburgh.

If you bring mountain bikes, try Chandler Ridge/Leicester Hollow Loop near Lake Dunmore. Battell Woods in town has limited trails but worth a spin.

Hiking out of Ripton is good including the Skylight Pond or The Cooley Glen/Emily Proctor Trail loop.

You are just a ride up and over Lincoln Gap (make sure your brakes are in fine working order) from Warren and the Mad River Valley so a trip to Lawsons Finest Liquids is fun.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoova View Post
    I have a related question that I thought I'd drop here instead of starting a new thread: My oldest just committed to play lacrosse at Middlebury. I've only been there once for about 4 hours earlier this summer when the coach toured the kid around campus. Mrs. Smoova wants to go back with the family (17 and 14 year old boys) so she can see where the kid will spend 4 years. We have an airbnb in town July 19-21. Since walking around campus again will only occupy a couple hours, I'm open to any suggestions on additional things to do and restaurants to visit. Thanks
    In town, walk the pedestrian bridge between frog hollow and the marble works over otter creek. Nearby, get creemes in Bristol, then drive up to Lincoln stopping at obvious swim holes on the New Haven River. Hike Mt Abe from the gap, then take the natural turnpike to Ripton and drive back through East Middlebury.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post

My FIL has 80 acres with a tree farm outside Walden. When I visit it's back to the old days, get up smoke weed, hit up the general store for some sammys, go on a hike to a quarry, do some cliff jumping, go to some backwoodsy restaurant and eat a pizza and have a couple beers out on the picnic table.
    Well that sounds fucking awesome.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I'm not sure if I was high functioning, lucky or what but I graduated from UVM in 4 years with a double major, worked full time at Smuggs and skied, partied and fucked off all the time.

Then I graduated, ramped up the partying and fucking off, asked myself why, put all my shit in an '89 Civic and moved to Winter Park. Other than a few panic attacks and a few consequential poor decisions, I think I came out the otherside OK.

My FIL has 80 acres with a tree farm outside Walden. When I visit it's back to the old days, get up smoke weed, hit up the general store for some sammys, go on a hike to a quarry, do some cliff jumping, go to some backwoodsy restaurant and eat a pizza and have a couple beers out on the picnic table.
    I was just high. Functioning didn't enter the picture until I met my now wife.

There was a quarry in Woodbury we hit up a lot. I'd have to get baked to be able to find it again.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    In town, walk the pedestrian bridge between frog hollow and the marble works over otter creek. Nearby, get creemes in Bristol, then drive up to Lincoln stopping at obvious swim holes on the New Haven River. Hike Mt Abe from the gap, then take the natural turnpike to Ripton and drive back through East Middlebury.
    Thank you!

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Rock quarries in Barre for a walk and sandwiches

Pay a couple bucks and jump on one of the sail tours on the lake

Zip line at Smuggs

Head over the notch and find the swimming hole across the mountain road from the Matterhorn in Stowe.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenstateofmind View Post
    Rock quarries in Barre for a walk and sandwiches

Pay a couple bucks and jump on one of the sail tours on the lake

Zip line at Smuggs

Head over the notch and find the swimming hole across the mountain road from the Matterhorn in Stowe.
    Shit, they still let people swim there? Was that called Fosters? I forget most of the names of the Stowe area holes. But I jumped in there once at the end of April after a really hot day working outside. There was still snow in the shadows. It felt good.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    It's got a new name I guess. Brewster River Gorge
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/GpbNji3YKF4uFzyj7
    My googling seems to show that these are actually separate places but very close to each other. Maybe we'll check out both.

My kid is most psyched about ECHO and the Spirit of Ethan Allen cruise, so we'll probably do those, she seemed pretty into the idea of the causeway so if we can rent a kids bike in Colchester we may do that. Swimming hole idea also had her intrigued but that is probably dependent on how into our Airbnb pool she is.

My family is notorious for moving slow and doing nothing, so all plans subject to change.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My googling seems to show that these are actually separate places but very close to each other. Maybe we'll check out both.

My kid is most psyched about ECHO and the Spirit of Ethan Allen cruise, so we'll probably do those, she seemed pretty into the idea of the causeway so if we can rent a kids bike in Colchester we may do that. Swimming hole idea also had her intrigued but that is probably dependent on how into our Airbnb pool she is.

My family is notorious for moving slow and doing nothing, so all plans subject to change.
    Go up 108 from Jeff village towards the notch. Around the first really big corner take a left on canyon road (just past a brick building that seems like it is in the road) and a right just before the covered bridge into a parking lot. Follow the trails along the river until you are forced to cross it. Continue following the river towards the sound of falling water. Explore the river and the trails along it that climb the hill above the falls lookers left. It's not going to blow you away, but its a fun jaunt and place to get wet.

And how come you haven't PMed me yet?

Go up 108 from Jeff village towards the notch. Around the first really big corner take a left on canyon road (just past a brick building that seems like it is in the road) and a right just before the covered bridge into a parking lot. Follow the trails along the river until you are forced to cross it. Continue following the river towards the sound of falling water. Explore the river and the trails along it that climb the hill above the falls lookers left. It's not going to blow you away, but its a fun jaunt and place to get wet.
    yah, if you are already in the area it's a good stop. not as good as the other swim holes already mentioned although no swimming holes should be on the internets. but we're all doomed anyway.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    yah, if you are already in the area it's a good stop. not as good as the other swim holes already mentioned although no swimming holes should be on the internets. but we're all doomed anyway.
    This one is already out there.

We just took the kids (5, 3) up the toll road and did the short hike up Mt Mansfield this past Sunday and they had fun!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210711_125854.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	379412

Or perhaps a hike to Niquette Bay for some swimming

Name:	IMG_20210530_140054.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.00 MB 
ID:	379413

We've been to a few of these so far since we got here but are always looking for more things to do here too!

Things To Do In Burlington When You Are Dead?

Here’s a shot from the summit of Camels Hump on Monday..….a bit cool/cloudy/windy up there. Made for a quick lunch…

Name:	Image1626224658.423117.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	379415

Name:	Image1626224818.489769.jpg 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	379418

And from Foam….lol.

Name:	Image1626224698.853131.jpg 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	379416

FKNA…from the Hilton Burlington…

Name:	Image1626224774.655053.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	379417

Shit, they still let people swim there? Was that called Fosters? I forget most of the names of the Stowe area holes. But I jumped in there once at the end of April after a really hot day working outside. There was still snow in the shadows. It felt good.
    I think we’re talking about the same place. It’s no secret, it’s right off the road. The one on 108 by the covered bridge gets really busy these days.

The rail trails from Jeff is a nice family bike ride to btw. We also have a great family friendly single track network called Saxon hill in Essex. Basically if you can get your hands on two wheels, you can ride it.

Thanks for all the help, and apologies to the local mags that I didn't reach out to (there's a long story there that I will tell sometime, maybe).

We hit the Shelburne Musuem, ECHO, Church Street, Spirit of Ethan Allen cruise, and walked the Causeway (renting bikes didn't work out, but I am glad that we at least walked it, because that is COOL). Also just did a lot of driving back roads. Didn't eat out much, but did hit Al's French Frys, and did get a lot of creemees. We ate at Ray's Seafood because my wife wasn't interested in the recommendations y'all provided and did her own research, read an article that said it was a worthy spot. It was not. Unless you like all of your fish options fried and indistinguishable from each other.

Thanks for all the help, and apologies to the local mags that I didn't reach out to (there's a long story there that I will tell sometime, maybe).

We hit the Shelburne Musuem, ECHO, Church Street, Spirit of Ethan Allen cruise, and walked the Causeway (renting bikes didn't work out, but I am glad that we at least walked it, because that is COOL). Also just did a lot of driving back roads. Didn't eat out much, but did hit Al's French Frys, and did get a lot of creemees. We ate at Ray's Seafood because my wife wasn't interested in the recommendations y'all provided and did her own research, read an article that said it was a worthy spot. It was not. Unless you like all of your fish options fried and indistinguishable from each other.
    Shoulda ditched the wife and partied with the collective.

Wait, you mean there’s more than one fish? Are those other fishes also Square?

Hope you weren’t on the causeway when this happened.

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessa...ester-causeway

the old "this is ok, but ya shoulda been here yesterday" ball buster from the jaded local...... sweet.

Rays Seafood? Reviews?? Lol

The rest looks nice.

Looks like you nailed the places you wanted to visit while in town. I hope you ordered the fried chicken at Al’s.

I’m sorry to hear that a meal was wasted by going to Ray’s. It’s not even in the top dozen choices in Winooski, nevertheless Burlington.

Next time you are in Burly or I’m in Boulder….

Now I really want the back story on why I didn't get at least a PM.