Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    just my two cents after reading this thread just briefly:
    - get some Tech Binding (Ion, ATK) and set them at lower DIN and ski carefully -> this will prevent injuries better than an alpine heel with pin toes.
    - get a ski in a proper length you prefer and mount them a bit more classic -> ski will be less balanced but right there for a proper kick when you make KICK-turns. Otherwise practice a bit, that is an easy one and skiing on 160cm is the bigger pain
    - Movement skis should be on your list as mentioned (Alp tracks line is sweet)

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    - get some Tech Binding (Ion, ATK) and set them at lower DIN and ski carefully -> this will prevent injuries better than an alpine heel with pin toes.
    Is there a rule of thumb for this? In other words, if you wanted to ensure the ski does not pre-release, but are looking for them to release easily, do you back off two settings from recommended?
    - get a ski in a proper length you prefer and mount them a bit more classic -> ski will be less balanced but right there for a proper kick when you make KICK-turns. Otherwise practice a bit, that is an easy one and skiing on 160cm is the bigger pain
    +1

- Movement skis should be on your list as mentioned (Alp tracks line is sweet)
    agreed that time must be spent on practising kick turns , and ive got the summer yoga plan all worked out !!! the skis ive chosen are 168cm which is +3cm over my height and ive no issue skiing this length in all conditions , and will get them mounted to suit the descent not the ascent , i don't like longer skis personally as they look and feel wrong for me , i don't doubt that a longer ski floats better and its a better option in the hands of a more experienced aggressive type skier , but it doesn't work for me .
    movement are a great company and make some great skis , but gone for the kastle for reasons stated above

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Is there a rule of thumb for this? In other words, if you wanted to ensure the ski does not pre-release, but are looking for them to release easily, do you back off two settings from recommended?
    I mostly start from recommended and than I tighten the screw half a turn for every pre-release till I am more less satisfied. But on my touring sticks I ski quite defensive, I am not heavy and not overly "chargy" if its rough. I guess my father beeing a surgeon and meeting more guys with to high DIN than with pre release has influenced me quite a bit here.

So this is just my personal opinion but also consider that an alpine heel is still no alpine binder.

@scblurlt: great you found your ski - seems like a good choice from what I read around here.
    Last edited by LeoK; 05-03-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4467.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	237476

Just to finalise ,my touring set up for next season is now complete
    Kastle tx 98 168cm
    Kastle 65/35 skins
    Tecton binding
    Fischer travers non carbon boots
    BD vapour carbon poles

Thanks for all advice and options , can’t wait to get out and tour again soon:-)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Of the skis mentioned, for best all around use:

Atomic Backland 95
    Kästle TX 98
    Salomon MTN 95
    Zero g 108

Also consider the Black Crows Orb and Navis

For surfier skis that will mostly be used on soft snow in good conditions:

Black Crows Camox Freebird

Even though the zero g 85 and 95 are still good skis, by most accounts they have been surpassed by the first tier skis listed above.
    This. ^^^
    (I know, I'm late to the party...)

I can attest for most of this, having skied & owned the MTN 95, 0G 108, 0G 85, and the Backland 95.

I found the MTN 95 a bit more playful in soft snow than the Atomic 95, with the Atomic being a bit stiffer throughout the tip. I prefer the Atomics over the MTN Explores, having skied them back to back in various conditions. But both are great skis. And for deeper snow and an obviously larger weight penalty, the 0G 108 is quite the good ski across a wide range of conditions.

As for the OP's weight criteria, pretty sure my Atomic 177's came in <1350g, while my MTN 95 in 177 was >1500g IIRC.

And yes, both the MTN 95 and the Atomic 95 seem to ski a whole lot better/easier than the 0G 85/95 across every condition that one can imagine skiing. Don't get me wrong, the smaller 0Gs rally hard, especially on 2D snow, but I'd argue that the Atomic does as well while doing much better across the gamut of skiing conditions. I no longer have my 0Gs nor do I have the MTN 95s. The Backland won - it was truly a pleasant surprise in my quiver this year.

Quote Originally Posted by truax View Post
    This. ^^^
    (I know, I'm late to the party...)

I can attest for most of this, having skied & owned the MTN 95, 0G 108, 0G 85, and the Backland 95.

I found the MTN 95 a bit more playful in soft snow than the Atomic 95, with the Atomic being a bit stiffer throughout the tip. I prefer the Atomics over the MTN Explores, having skied them back to back in various conditions. But both are great skis. And for deeper snow and an obviously larger weight penalty, the 0G 108 is quite the good ski across a wide range of conditions.

As for the OP's weight criteria, pretty sure my Atomic 177's came in <1350g, while my MTN 95 in 177 was >1500g IIRC.

And yes, both the MTN 95 and the Atomic 95 seem to ski a whole lot better/easier than the 0G 85/95 across every condition that one can imagine skiing. Don't get me wrong, the smaller 0Gs rally hard, especially on 2D snow, but I'd argue that the Atomic does as well while doing much better across the gamut of skiing conditions. I no longer have my 0Gs nor do I have the MTN 95s. The Backland won - it was truly a pleasant surprise in my quiver this year.
    Agree with much of Truax's analysis - The Zero G 95 "rallies hard" and works better for most people if it's detuned substantially, the MTN 95 is the surfiest, easiest to pivot and arguably best in powder, and the Backland 95 somewhere in between. I have skied them all and like them all. Here's our group of industry insiders last week, who had remarkably similar tastes in skis:

Name:	wildcow_1811_1000.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	507.6 KB 
ID:	238465

Ha, I miss those guys, hope to be hitting with them next year

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Here's our group of industry insiders last week, who had remarkably similar tastes in skis:

Name:	wildcow_1811_1000.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	507.6 KB 
ID:	238465
    Similar tastes in skis but only one has sublime taste in bindings.

Good choice on the Kastles. You will be a happy skier.