Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Good glacier sun glasses?

Throw them at me. What works? Which ones look good?

I have zero knowledge about them from before as I always just use my regular glasses.

On the cheaper end, I've been happy with the Julbo Sherpas. Reputable company, though these are near the bottom end of their line. Much better than regular sunglasses; I've slightly burned my corneas using aviators, but have had no problems with these. They don't fog much on me either, and they give enough protection that I often don't bother with goggles on nice days out touring.

^^Julbos are great! The Colorado has the Spectron 4 lenses which are really dark. They are cheap also. I have been wearing them for year-round use the past couple years.

Glacier glasses with side shields fog up terribly for me -- and, apparently, others: I seldom see glacier glasses on experienced mountain travelers around here.

I use decent quality 100% UV block/∼15%-18% VLT wrap-style sunglasses with a wide temple, which blocks light from the side but don't fog up. For high glacier (stratovolcano) routes I have a pair of wrap/thick temple glasses with darker (∼10% VLT) lenses.

Julbo Montebianco work well for me. I have both the spectron4 and camel lenses -- used to prefer the spectron4 but I've come around to the Camel for changing light conditions and the anti-fog coating. They started as glacier shades, but I wear a pair that have gotten too beat up for glacier use on around town pretty much daily now.

You can remove the side shields for more airflow if fogging is an issue or if they make you feel like a dork.

I've used the Montebianco exclusively for about 5 years now; jesski's used the Monterosa for 6-7 years. You can sometimes find them on absurd sale -- I think the best we've done is $20 for spectron4 lens and $50 for camel lens.

I haven't had any issues with eye strain with the side shields installed, but I haven't been on any expeditions where you're above 15k for days on end.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I've use Julbo glasses for years. I need new ones and am just looking for a good sale.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

The Clymb has some Julbo glasses on sale right now, including some with the camel lens. Though the cheap ones I saw there the other day (for $20 or $30) look like they're sold out.

I'm happy with my Julbo Shield's w/camel lenses. They have vents on the top and bottom of the frames which do a pretty good job.
    Last edited by bfly; 06-18-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Pit vipers

If you’re man enough
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Pit vipers

If you’re man enough
    Meh, they let too much light in from the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Meh, they let too much light in from the bottom
    #brokenSarcMeter
    . . .

Anything Julbo with their Spectron 4 lens is gonna be good when it's blindly bright. If you aren't going to be in super high elevation / brilliant sunlight conditions I'd go with the Camel lens. I personally like the Trek frame shape for normal skiing (I do wear the side-wing things) but if you want more coverage the Explorer 2.0 (or whatever it's called) is another option.

I have the Julbo Bivouak with Zebra or Camel or something. Really nice except for the plastic nose, which is sometimes uncomfortable and slips down, and the ear stick things, which are sometimes uncomfortable, and the fogging. Don't get them. Lenses are nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    <snip> Which ones look good?
    None of them. Not a single one.

Then again - are you some sort of fashionista when it comes to sunglasses?

Pity the Rawg isn't still here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I actually grabbed the pit viper “rubbers”....bought them as a spring fun novelty thing but I now look to grab them them on lift served and touring corn days.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Pit vipers

If you’re man enough
    "I use a cobra snake for a necktie", so yeah, I'm man enough.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    The Clymb has some Julbo glasses on sale right now, including some with the camel lens. Though the cheap ones I saw there the other day (for $20 or $30) look like they're sold out.
    Thanks, picked up some Trek Mountaineers for 1/2 off. Photochormatic from 2-4

iscariot

These puppies have been working great for bright alpine days up to now. Flip up polarized sunnies. Enough air flow for no fogging, enough general coverage to reduce glare bleed. Flip em up for looking into a dark pack or dicking around with boots to see details with fresh eyes. Add a bit of tape around the edges for extra glare proofing if spring/summer sun too strong on snow. They have a little insert for prescription glass lenses but it clips out and I just run em 'normally'. Only like 10 or 15 bucks on amazon.

I hate having had to frequently remove then put sunnies back on for fine detail work...these have been game changers for sunglass efficiency in the field or at home...really useful for doing outside/inside/outside work on sunny days. Just keep flipping em up or down, never put em down and forget them at some stage of outside/insiding.

So far haven't needed to...but...figure if the tint ain't dark enough for ultra sun lazer days, add a film of automotive window tint to dial in the darkness. Remove when not needed. Should work IF required.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51rl3cwZ6uL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	234048
    Last edited by swissiphic; 04-29-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

In my second eastside season now using these bad boys, I don’t even pack goggles. They are great, just get the darkest lens possible.

http://www.oakley.com/en/wind-jacket...oduct/WGOO7072
    "He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

Thanks everybody!

Going by consensus, I'll look into Julbo.

Other options are large lens sunglasses with wide temples like Electric's Big Beat/Backbone and Dragon's Mick Fanning/Kit/Domo sunglasses.

I prefer sunglasses like ones mentioned above over Julbos because they have better coverage thanks to their larger lenses which has all sorts of benefits. The key measurement is lens height. There are lots of biggish wraparound style sunglasses but very few can match the coverage from something like the Big Beat's 52mm tall lens, for example.

Also, I find that sport style sunglasses allow too much reflective light to spill in around the sides, tops, and bottoms when traveling on snow.

I ordered Julbo Explorer 2.0 with cameloen lenses. Seems like this will block anything? Regular sports style glasses are out of question. I have been using that for a long time, and it sucks when you are glacier skiing in the summer. Thats why I wanted something that actually works. Wether these will do that, is something I will find out. I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Also, I find that sport style sunglasses allow too much reflective light to spill in around the sides, tops, and bottoms when traveling on snow.
    Eezee fix for that. Note the highly breathable top of heat bald spot coverage with antibacterial dish rag from the dollar store. Game changer.

Name:  13151903_654884967984177_5757214998024258024_n.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  83.1 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    I ordered Julbo Explorer 2.0 with cameloen lenses. Seems like this will block anything? Regular sports style glasses are out of question. I have been using that for a long time, and it sucks when you are glacier skiing in the summer. Thats why I wanted something that actually works. Wether these will do that, is something I will find out. I'll report back.
    Yes, the Explorer 2.0 will block the most light...at the expense of fogging up. Which is why I like the Montebianco. Blocks enough light for multiple days of glacier skiing with no noticeable eye fatigue, but maybe not enough for a high altitude expedition. The Shield and Trek look somewhere in between the Explorer and Montebianco.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos