Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
    I was called a FuckFace by an 80 year old man yesterday. My kiddo and I couldn’t stop laughing, which pissed him off even more. Basically, we were slowing down to come to a stop on a bike path. He came to a stop in front of us and honked, (he had no stop, he could have kept going) and started berating us for not stopping...when we were still 10-20 feet from a stop sign. I called him a moron, he called me a fuckface, hilarity ensued.
    Even wifey called him a grumpy old fuck.
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

Got doored off the road bike over the weekend. I was climbing up a quiet residential street that sees tons of cycling traffic (Mandeville Canyon for the LA mags) and basically got impaled on the corner of some woman's door when she swung it out into traffic. No major injuries, just bruising and road rash; handlebars and shifter are toast. Could have been much worse if I wasn't fat and slow, or there had been someone driving up behind me.

Thanks for the reminder to maintain door zone vigilance. Glad you're mostly OK.

flashbacks to my NYC childhood, where you always had to look into the cars to see if someone was in one, waiting to door you.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

I had to drop the car off at the shop this morning for some new rubber so I figured I'd throw a bike in and ride home rather than sitting there for 5 or 6 hours. The only road that goes from there to here is pretty twisty and hilly, this one section is a couple of 15mph turns with a 17% up grade at one point so I hit it hard and fast and rolled into it around 30 but slowed down to about 10 at the steep part. A genius in a CRV decided that was a perfect spot to pass me and go over the line totally onto the wrong side of the road. The outcome was predictable. The car coming the other way went to miss, ran up the bank and rolled into the front of the CRV that was accelerating around me. Big mess, big big mess. I wonder what they told the cops when they got there. I wasn't sticking around to find out.

Holy crap!

Oh man. Did you really just continue to pedal along?
    Uno mas

You just know that the mag that almost ran you over is going to be posting bout you in the “fucking bikers” thread....

I don't think anyone would admit to driving a CRV.

Never surprised by douchebags that are way over the double to avoid someone in their lane, some of these clowns are 15'+ from the bike or walker.
    Huge peeve is the "I was here first" theory a lot of drivers believe in. This is where oncoming driver reaches biker, walker or empty paper bag along their lane and swerves 5-8' over the center line and I have to abruptly hit the brakes to avoid getting hit.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Somewhere in this thread, folks were complaining about being passed too closely. Can't have it both ways.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Somewhere in this thread, folks were complaining about being passed too closely. Can't have it both ways.
    Always remember that someone will think you're a douchebag, no matter what you do, so just do what youd like the have done to yourself and move on with your life haha. I personally get a little spooked at the sound of rumble strips behind me when on a bike, so when driving i just make sure im in the far left side of the lane and i slow down a bit to pass bikers... in other words i share our side of the road haha. If we are on a 2 lane and i can see forever ill straddle the double yellow but start doing that a ways before reaching the biker so they dont hear the rumble strips 50' behind them.

On a fucking bicyclist note, i saw a middle aged gentleman in business formal clothes last night biking home from work on a souped up e-bike. guy was smashing up a long hill at 25mph barely trying. At an intersection he rides up onto the sidewalk to, i assume, use the push button to cross the street. Problem was he was still going 25mph and almost all ebikes ive ever seen are under-braked. guy overshoots the push button, swerves out of the way of 2 pedestrians and goes off the back of the sidewalk into the bushes haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    flashbacks to my NYC childhood, where you always had to look into the cars to see if someone was in one, waiting to door you.
    Is this supposed to mean they were waiting to door you intentionally? Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    On a fucking bicyclist note, i saw a middle aged gentleman in business formal clothes last night biking home from work on a souped up e-bike. guy was smashing up a long hill at 25mph barely trying. At an intersection he rides up onto the sidewalk to, i assume, use the push button to cross the street. Problem was he was still going 25mph and almost all ebikes ive ever seen are under-braked. guy overshoots the push button, swerves out of the way of 2 pedestrians and goes off the back of the sidewalk into the bushes haha.
    That's hilarious.

A lot of ebike riders seem new to the whole concept of bikes in general. Or maybe they underestimate the whole e part.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    A lot of ebike riders seem new to the whole concept of bikes in general.
    Makes sense, there are way more "cycle-curious but lazy" people out there than experienced riders.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Is this supposed to mean they were waiting to door you intentionally? Yikes.
    Hard to know, right? I mean, unless you make eye contact with them through the side mirror and then they open the door, you can't be certain. Regardless, if you see someone in a parked car up ahead, you just know you have to be prepared for that eventuality and try to avoid it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Regardless, if you see someone in a parked car up ahead, you just know you have to be prepared for that eventuality and try to avoid it.
    For sure. The way you phrased that I thought that maybe intentionally dooring people was a thing in NYC at the time. Like a variation of the knockout game. So many cars now have ultra dark tint on the rear window that I often have no idea if there's someone in there. I just give all parked cars at least 3-4' of space whenever possible.

I just came back to post that I think fuckface is a very good profanity.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Oh man. Did you really just continue to pedal along?
    Yes. Sticking around for the aftermath could easily end up getting you badly hurt when the guy that made the wrong move comes at you. I don't trust anyone around here not to freak out and do you know what kind of weapon or what have you they've got in the car? A friend of mine got shot in the leg last spring when the dude in the pickup that made a dumb move passed him then stopped and got out armed and pissed. Nope that won't be me.

I did go back about an hour later and it turned out that the car didn't roll all the way over. It ended up being a hard sideswipe with both cars ending up badly damaged but nobody got hurt. There's a head on in this section about once a month because people feel entitled to do dumb shit. Unfortunately there isn't another road to get you through this zone and it's also the only way to avoid going through the center of town and sitting in way too much traffic so it sees way more traffic than it was designed for 230 years ago.