Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    You think insurance companies are going to pay for near misses? Or are you just talking about actual injury-inducing accidents?
    With maybe some especially egregious exceptions, I think there'd need to be contact.

More or less the same as car on car accidents. If there's an accident, the criminal penalties tend to be minor, even if there's an injury. But the civil ramifications are often significant.

Fucking drivers killed a friend of mine from graduate school on her commute to the State dept yesterday.

Fuck. Drivers.

Condolences. That sucks.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Oh, man. Another senseless death caused by people who aren't careful with the deadly lump they weild in the world like nothing can ever go wrong.

Vibes!
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I'm so sorry

Thanks. Was moving my grandmother into hospice when I got a text from a mutual friend. She was a good one. Made it through living in Damascus early in the Syrian revolution to be killed on a bike commute in DC. Tragic.

That’s horrible, I’m so sorry to hear that.

Got hit while riding out to my kid's soccer game this afternoon. Stopped at a red light waiting to turn left, left turning driver cut the corner straight into me, dead center between the headlights. Luckily I saw it coming and was able to hop off the bike and jump to the side. Totally fine. Bike flew 20 ft but shows shockingly little damage. Her insurance is sure as shit buying me a new one, though. Ruined a glorious fall afternoon.

Dude! Fuck! Glad you’re ok, that’s some scary shit. Left turn lanes always feel a bit exposed. Blech .

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Got hit while riding out to my kid's soccer game this afternoon. Stopped at a red light waiting to turn left, left turning driver cut the corner straight into me, dead center between the headlights. Luckily I saw it coming and was able to hop off the bike and jump to the side. Totally fine. Bike flew 20 ft but shows shockingly little damage. Her insurance is sure as shit buying me a new one, though. Ruined a glorious fall afternoon.
    JFC, was she texting, or just staring straight through you? Like, you cant be going that fast turning left so how do you not slam on the brakes or jerk the wheel right in time?

Im guessing she was super freaked out an apologetic saying she didnt see you, right? Ugh.

Between the shock of hitting something and the relief that she hadn't killed someone she was pretty subdued, almost vacant. She said sorry but waited for me to call 911. Middle age white lady in a white Porsche Cayenne with a middle schooler in the car. She didn't admit anything to me about being on her phone. The cop would only tell me that that information would be in the report.

I'm assuming she was on her phone. She was so oblivious to my presence I think she would have run right into a wall.

When we were done with the cops I told her in the most genuine tone I could muster to enjoy the rest her day.

I know if it was my mother she would have been thinking about what she was making for dinner
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Between the shock of hitting something and the relief that she hadn't killed someone she was pretty subdued, almost vacant. She said sorry but waited for me to call 911. Middle age white lady in a white Porsche Cayenne with a middle schooler in the car. She didn't admit anything to me about being on her phone. The cop would only tell me that that information would be in the report.

I'm assuming she was on her phone. She was so oblivious to my presence I think she would have run right into a wall.

When we were done with the cops I told her in the most genuine tone I could muster to enjoy the rest her day.
    Damn. Id assume she gets some kind of moving violation for crossing into the oncoming lane, ontop of being at fault for the accident. I hope you get a sweet bike out of the deal at least.

Glad YOU are OK.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Glad YOU are OK.
    x2, holy shit Dan.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/oregon-cou...-passing-truck

preliminary investigation found that the two bicyclists and the truck were all going north on the roadway when the load of lumber shifted on the flatbed and struck the bicyclists, said CHP Officer Vince Pompliano.

x3, so glad man. i hope her insurance drops her.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    x3, so glad man. i hope her insurance drops her.
    serz. if not for your spidey skillz you would have had some body damage.

in 2004 i got run over on my road bike in Jupiter FL (actually the guy hit us both!) by a uninsured 3rd rate landscaper towing a small trailer. Buddy broke his femur and something else and i was spared the bones, but had soft tissue damage which took a while to heal. That's the last time i did any road biking. even on the enduro bike i stay off the roads as much as possible......trees don't move.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Glad YOU are OK.
    Me too. Holy shit! Happy your reflexes are sharp
    Keep us posted about how this all turns out.

WTF does "the lumber shifted" mean? It fell out of the truck and hit the couple? That seems most likely but the article never actually says. But the haphazard way some idiots pile unsecured loads into flatbeds is scary, even if you're in a car.

DTM glad you didn't end up a pancake. Scary.

You have a lot more class than I do. Well done, glad you saw it coming.

Thanks, guys. Spidey skills and being lucky there wasn't a car waiting for the light in the adjacent lane. May have not have been able to get far enough out of the way and got squeezed between.

It's insane that you can do something that egregious and be free to go afterwards. Should have been arrested on the spot and charged with reckless endangerment.

Jesus Dan. Glad that turned out ok.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Dang Dan. Congrats on a successful game of frogger. Hope you at least get a nice bike out of it.

Holy hell dude. Glad you came out physically unscathed.