Talk to me about security cameras

I need a camera pointed at the parking lot in my condo complex. There are issues with a tenant. I want video.

Just one would suffice. Can I do wireless with batteries? WiFi connection? Expensive?

Many variables involved- outdoor camera - how high up is it going to have to be mounted and on what (side of building, under the eve or a roof, etc.) ? Lens focal length, night vision, and a few other things. Wireless will usually work (assuming wifi is in reach of course... otherwise you have to consider cellular options) otherwise wired light fixture or doorbell options?? Motion sensor so it only records when there is activity probably is a given feature. As for battery, how long do you need to have it run before either replacing the batteries or recharging? Ring (the doorbell company), Nest consumer type of cameras maybe good enough?? Otherwise, Hikvision or Ubiquiti maybe worth a look for solid video surveillance more on the professional side of things- but most of their solutions are based on some sort of power- over the cabling to it or some sort of AC source.

Look in to game cameras

Will one camera provide enough coverage, or do you need more than one?

I work for some restaurant/bar establishments that have AvertX installations that work pretty well. They do require Ethernet runs to the camera locations from the DVR (and use PoE), as well as a little tweaking if you max out the number of cameras and still want extended (10-day or more) video retention, but overall they work well for not a lot of cash. Our systems are 1080p, not 4k, and I'm not sure I'd want to make that jump given the additional storage requirements.

Sounds like a one-off setup. Wifi is usually sketch for long-term installations - they're too easy to knock off the network and then you lose video, and Murphy's law says it will do so when you need it the most.

Probably some super skeevy, cheap camera is what you're looking for.

Longer term installs, regular IP camera's with variable focal length is pretty nice. [They way you don't have to determine the exact zoom/magnification/FOV before you buy the camera. And you can re-position, re-purpose cameras more easily.]

IPCam talk might be a good start.
    https://ipcamtalk.com/

BTW, I'm using a couple of IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras and I'm very pleased. PoE and wired though. Excellent quality. But not so great for one-off setups, IMO. [Unless you're willing to handle POE and wiring them up, and are OK with the ~$150-200 price tag.]

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    we use a Ring system
    Alpy is a parking lot photo expert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I think a lot of good questions have been posed and I would guess that budget probably depends on how big the issues are with the tenant.

Take a look at the Netgear Arlo pro. I think they have some versatile solutions that could probably fit your needs without breaking the bank.

Seth

Benny you making friends again?

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Take a look at https://www.wyzecam.com/.

When you say "my" condo complex do you mean you own it or you live there? If it's the former you have multiple options and should probably have a wired system in place anyway. If it's the latter, your options are probably a bit more limited, the condo association may frown on individual owners installing cameras all over the place. That said, I have an Arlo wireless system in place. 4 cameras, easy to put up/set up. As someone else said, the key is putting the camera in the right place so you get what you want and not what you don't or nothing at all. The nice thing about these is they are so easy to place, the cameras and mounts are magnetic so you can put them almost anywhere and move them easily. They are also tiny and hard to see if you're not looking. The have all sorts of adjustment options and you can do it all from your phone. Day video is sharp and colorful, night vision is infrared (black and white) but still pretty sharp. I have one on a barn/shed (see the wildlife thread) that is about 100 feet from the router and it works fine. Battery life varies on use/temperature but average about 3 months per camera. App notifies you when a camera is activated, as well as low battery. You can set the recording time to whatever you want or watch live. . Netgear stores the vids on their cloud for 2 weeks if you need to go back and review so you need no storage and it's free for up to 4 cams. I like them a lot, perfect for my needs.

http://www.arlo.com/en-us/
    The Sheriff is near!

Hmmm...thanks, that looks good.

The promotional video on their site is incredibly irritating and uninformative.