Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Snowbasin next to fall to Vail?

Is this a strategic move?

"HUNTSVILLE — Snowbasin Resort will have a new general manager next month.

Davy Ratchford will replace retiring General Manager John Loomis, who has been at the resort for six years, the company said in a press release Thursday, April 19.

Ratchford was previously the senior director of marketing and strategic alliance at Park City Mountain and the director of marketing at Vail Mountain in Colorado and Northstar Resort in California. "

http://www.standard.net/Business/201...hford#cxrecs_s

Tram from Weber, tram from Weber!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Not unless they buy Sun Valley first

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Snowbasin has no on hill accommodation so it might not be a good candidate for increasing skier visits from out of towners and Epic Pass sales

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Snowbasin has no on hill accommodation so it might not be a good candidate for increasing skier visits from out of towners and Epic Pass sales
    This

Vail could snatch it up and develop..or talisker whatever...the current snowbasin owners (Earl's kids) aren't all that interested in either resort. I imagine snowbasin loses money. Mostly due to no beds...Earl wanted no beds..he liked it. Times are a changing, but you see beds near snowbasin soon enough either way

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Jay Peak

If I were Vail, I would really want Wachusett or Hunter Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    If I were Vail, I would really want Wachusett or Hunter Mountain.
    Both solid east coast choices what is vails east coast portfolio? Do they own anything in new england?

Only one small mom-and-pop operation. You may have heard of it. It's called Stowe.

I heard his first move is going to be placing a huge yellow 'No Jumping' sign on top of Boss Hog.

I hate Vail, however I would be in favor of this. Vail resorts would bring the Eden valley /Mtn Green into the 21st century. Working in Ogden, I would love to have a cool Ski Town/Resort Village to live in that would be closer to work than my current situation where I have to hoof it from Holladay.

Snowbasin seems like it seems like it has a ton of untapped potential as does the Eden Valley. Would love to see someone invest in developing resort infastructure.

Confused how you’re reading the hiring of a former Vail employee as a sign of a pending Vail takeover. Maybe the guy just wanted a promotion.

Agreed. And to reiterate, Sun Valley owns Snowbasin.

Fuck a corporate resort village. Go move to Park City.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    I hate Vail, however I would be in favor of this. Vail resorts would bring the Eden valley /Mtn Green into the 21st century. Working in Ogden, I would love to have a cool Ski Town/Resort Village to live in that would be closer to work than my current situation where I have to hoof it from Holladay.
    Wait you hate Vail, but would like another cookie cutter gentrified "resort village?"

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Agreed. And to reiterate, Sun Valley owns Snowbasin.

Fuck a corporate resort village. Go move to Park City.
    Before getting all cool and tough , remember that there is no unique local flavor in the area surrounding Basin , outside of generations of Mormonism.

Unfortunately a contrived resort village is the only way to turn Snowbasin into a world class resort.

All that’s needed is a few thousand mixed use condo units, a few gastro pubs, maybe a cool mixed use ranch/flyfishing/ golf community like Marabou In Steamboat minutes from the hill.

Something like Beaver Creek would fit the bill nicely

Would be a nice addition to the area imo

Your opinion sucks, imo.

Tell us more about the best pizza in Salt Lake City.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Before Earl passed away I recall him working on trying to do a land swap with the NFS that would allow for lodging to be built at Snowbasin. That was several years ago but since then nothing. He certainly had enough cash to build all the hotels and condos he wanted to but there was something about acquiring land or permits etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Before Earl passed away I recall him working on trying to do a land swap with the NFS that would allow for lodging to be built at Snowbasin. That was several years ago but since then nothing. He certainly had enough cash to build all the hotels and condos he wanted to but there was something about acquiring land or permits etc.
    I had always heard he simply didn't want beds...he liked it just the way it was. Who knows, I agree though dude had buckets of cash it wasn't money for sure

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    It's all in the master plan. Hotel at the base of Strawberry and condos all the way down to Trapper's Loop and below. Includes 2-3 golf courses.

Before getting all cool and tough , remember that there is no unique local flavor in the area surrounding Basin , outside of generations of Mormonism.
    Have you been to huntsville? or spent any time in eden? that's one of the most flavorful valleys in utah.
    go up to snowbasin in the summer during one of their free blues concerts, plenty of flavor up there in the summer too.

Unfortunately a contrived resort village is the only way to turn Snowbasin into a world class resort.
    terrain makes a resort world class, which snowbasin already has. adding a golf course and overpriced burgers and beers only ostracizes actual skiers. I would argue that all these gentrified "world class resorts" are flavorless and bland, every one of em is exactly the same and lack the charm that true ski towns and ski areas possess.

maybe a cool mixed use ranch/flyfishing/ golf community like Marabou In Steamboat minutes from the hill.
    oh like the wolf creek development in Eden?

MarsB hit the nail on the head.... your opinion sucks, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    Have you been to huntsville? or spent any time in eden? that's one of the most flavorful valleys in utah.
    go up to snowbasin in the summer during one of their free blues concerts, plenty of flavor up there in the summer too.

terrain makes a resort world class, which snowbasin already has. adding a golf course and overpriced burgers and beers only ostracizes actual skiers. I would argue that all these gentrified "world class resorts" are flavorless and bland, every one of em is exactly the same and lack the charm that true ski towns and ski areas possess.

oh like the wolf creek development in Eden?

MarsB hit the nail on the head.... your opinion sucks, imo.
    Marabou is Nothing like the wolf creek development you dolt .

Wolf Creek is very boring and the golf course is pretty overrated , along with the real estate offerings.

I’m talking a master planner community at the base of Snowbasin influenced by New Urbanism along the lines of Seaside FL

That Snowbasin has not built yet another MacSkiBucks city is one of the best thing to happen in the ski (real estate) business. I love that area because of that very lack of development.

That lack of development is the very reason I love this area! The only things missing at Snowbasin are the lines, the hassle, the traffic, the crowds, and the kind of pressure that has turned powder days into powder minutes. Not mention the environmental devastation of shoving development where it clearly does not belong.

It will be a very sorry day when the liftys at Snowbasin no longer seat you on a chair lift, give you a big smile, and tell you "Tell all your friends that you had a great day skiing at Snowbird".

I’m talking a master planner community at the base of Snowbasin influenced by New Urbanism along the lines of Seaside FL
    wait, your idea of a world class ski town is a gentrified beach town in florida? GTFO.
    and I'm the dolt

That Snowbasin has not built yet another MacSkiBucks city is one of the best thing to happen in the ski (real estate) business. That lack of development is the very reason I love this area! The only things missing at Snowbasin are the lines, the hassle, the traffic, the crowds, and the kind of pressure that has turned powder days into powder minutes. Not mention the environmental devastation of shoving massive condo developments where they clearly do not belong!

It will be a very sorry day when the liftys at Snowbasin no longer seat you on a chair lift, give you a big smile, and tell you "Tell all your friends that you had a great day skiing at Snowbird".