Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Snowbasin has no on hill accommodation so it might not be a good candidate for increasing skier visits from out of towners and Epic Pass sales
    That's the same thing they said about the jewel of Vail's crown, Wilmot Mountain!

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post

The only things missing at Snowbasin are the lines, the hassle, the traffic, the crowds, and the kind of pressure that has turned powder days into powder minutes. Not mention the environmental devastation of shoving development where it clearly does not belong.
    You haven't been there on a weekend for a while have you? Or maybe I'm just too jaded from Snowbasin 15 years ago and everywhere else is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    You haven't been there on a weekend for a while have you? Or maybe I'm just too jaded from Snowbasin 15 years ago and everywhere else is worse.
    Yeah, I went there on a Saturday this year thinking I'd be avoiding the Cottonwood Canyon crowds. I had a very warped old timers vision of that place, pre Olympics. Oh, was I wrong. It was a record day. Snowed twice that week for the first time in a long time during a dismal season. Holy crap, was it crowded. And, the line stretched back to the parking lot from where I took that picture.

Nice mountain though. Never do a Saturday.

I was stunned that there is still not one bed at the base. Weird.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28238864_573823992981424_7474693328974029305_o.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	264.0 KB 
ID:	233750

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    wait, your idea of a world class ski town is a gentrified beach town in florida? GTFO.
    and I'm the dolt
    Suggesting a new urbanist village is the most on point thing SirHeady has posted. (I am more speaking to how development should be planned, rather than if it should occur)

1st, seaside is the most prominent example of good planning practices in the city planning and urban design world. No it is not gentrified as Seaside was entirely planned and built on a greenfield development (unless you are talking about the 5 houses adjacent to it). If you have not researched the development and zoning code of seaside, I highly encourage you to. It's 20 page form based code(most jurisdictions are in the 1000s of pages) focuses on the form of buildings instead of use, allowing neighborhoods flexibility, and the ability to adapt over time. It focuses on providing smaller blocks and providing a great pedestrian realm.

The biggest criticism of seaside is that it is a resort town and some aspects are not applicable to traditional city and suburban development. That is not the case here as this would be a resort village as well.

While cookie cutter Vail and intrawest villages cater to pedestrians through pedestrian only villages, the framework of those developments is very poor and impossible to adapt to. The buildings are very similar and very fake. Form based codes like in seaside can provide authenticity and interest in building form.

https://seaside.library.nd.edu

Sent from my LG-H810 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Agreed. And to reiterate, Sun Valley owns Snowbasin.

Fuck a corporate resort village. Go move to Park City.
    Kinda what I think. Basin has been the "un-park city." For everybody that wants it that bad, you can always drive an hour and get your fill...
    https://GearLobo.com
    "Good things come to those who bait"
    My greatest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

Snowbasin next to fall to Vail?

Last edited by spanky; 02-12-2019 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Fixed broken link
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Snowbasin next to fall to Vail?

Snowbasin’s great. Very underrated expert skiing. And so it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Snowbasin’s great. Very underrated expert skiing. And so it goes...
    the "expert" terrain I always felt was lacking there. Sure there are a few good steep shots, but the place is mostly low angle and considerably lower in elevation than a lot of other SLC area resorts.

The crowds used to be a lot smaller until they released the super cheap season passes, and it was great for mid week pow days with zero crowds before that. If it snows its a fun place. I am typically bored about mid day with terrain choices.

Post #3 almost got it:

Quote Originally Posted by 5Beder View Post
    Not unless they buy Sun Valley first

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    the "expert" terrain I always felt was lacking there. Sure there are a few good steep shots, but the place is mostly low angle and considerably lower in elevation than a lot of other SLC area resorts.

The crowds used to be a lot smaller until they released the super cheap season passes, and it was great for mid week pow days with zero crowds before that. If it snows its a fun place. I am typically bored about mid day with terrain choices.
    Eh I kinda thought the terrain in Middle Bowl cirque and under Mt Ogden was fun. And some other chute I hiked to. I’ve only been a few times and both times it snowed a lot so...

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Eh I kinda thought the terrain in Middle Bowl cirque and under Mt Ogden was fun. And some other chute I hiked to. I’ve only been a few times and both times it snowed a lot so...
    They’ll still be called one-dollar cookies but they’ll cost $5 if you don’t purchase them in advance over the summer.

I didn’t measure the pitch or anything but No Name is one of my favs. If they name it, imma riot. Maybe they’ll replace the Allen Peak Tram with a full size gondi. :-/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Used to make at least one trip a season to the Basin from Park City. Usually on a weekday and with a bag of Boomers and a gang of enthusiasts. John Paul/No Name area was worthy and they didn't seem to give a shit if you hiked some of the rowdier lines.

I recall one guy repeatedly asking, "Is the sky always that blue"?

Snowbasin takes a while to figure out and skis kind of oddly, having to know which benches to ski out.

JP skis fun too with a tanker of fun features.

No expert terrain? Huh?

I appreciate the more laid back vibe as well.

Management there does frequently exhibit extreme spinal curvature resulting in occluded vision and opacity.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Nice bathrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    Before getting all cool and tough , remember that there is no unique local flavor in the area surrounding Basin , outside of generations of Mormonism.

Unfortunately a contrived resort village is the only way to turn Snowbasin into a world class resort.

All that’s needed is a few thousand mixed use condo units, a few gastro pubs, maybe a cool mixed use ranch/flyfishing/ golf community like Marabou In Steamboat minutes from the hill.

Something like Beaver Creek would fit the bill nicely

Would be a nice addition to the area imo

Maybe a Pizza Hut. And some pseudo Euro looking buildings. OMG, it will be awesome.

Dude, you sure know how to kill a ski resort. Sure, you won't need to commute to wok, but you'll pay more for housing, your resort will be over run, and Vail will in the end, give you the big fuck you. Careful what you wish for.

"remember that there is no unique local flavor in the area surrounding Basin , outside of generations of Mormonism"

That's local flavor. It's just a flavor you personally don't like.

When people say they like the "flavor" of a rural area, they generally mean the flavor created by ex-big-city residents moving in and founding "funky" cafes/coffeeshops/recreational businesses with their inheritance or trust fund, where "funk" is defined as thrift store furnishings.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Nice bathrooms.
    Throne-basin

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    Before getting all cool and tough , remember that there is no unique local flavor in the area surrounding Basin , outside of generations of Mormonism.

Unfortunately a contrived resort village is the only way to turn Snowbasin into a world class resort.

All that’s needed is a few thousand mixed use condo units, a few gastro pubs, maybe a cool mixed use ranch/flyfishing/ golf community like Marabou In Steamboat minutes from the hill.

Something like Beaver Creek would fit the bill nicely

Would be a nice addition to the area imo

with apologies to Heady, the thing I like about Sb is it is Not BC, or Steamboat --
    … your in Ogden (?) Why would you want Sb to be more like Park City ! ? !!
    enjoy your 'hill' - please --
    If you want a crowd , go to Park City or Snowbird

enough. tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

I don't know, that's not exactly Ogden. I got there in an easy hour plus twenty from a Sandy hotel. With that new road, it's SLC, too. And there's an awful lot of people in SLC.

It really is a strange place. The lodges, the bathrooms, the whole infrastructure is so tacky, over the top Western "Luxury", and yet there's not one bed or "Village". And it's been like that for a long time now. Weird. I liked the old SB.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I had always heard he simply didn't want beds...he liked it just the way it was. Who knows, I agree though dude had buckets of cash it wasn't money for sure

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    There was a proposed land swap and my understanding is it went no where. Seems odd that a guy who owned the Little America hotel chain would not want lodging.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    There was a proposed land swap and my understanding is it went no where. Seems odd that a guy who owned the Little America hotel chain would not want lodging.
    Our old pal Earl Holding. I believe there was a land swap for the Olympics. Trust me the PTB in Utah are lusting for the Pubic Lands around the ski areas. If we let them steal them, they will.
    Last edited by new yabyum; 02-10-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    It went somewhere. 1400 acres of federal land became private.
    And he did want lodging, there is a hotel and hundreds of condos laid out in the master plan. Master plan also shows a golf course (maybe two?), and ski-in/out homesites all the way down to, and below, Trappers Loop road east of Strawberry. The economy and sewer district difficulties slowed everything down. I have no idea the state of things now and if it's still being pursued.
    https://www.standard.net/lifestyle/r...124062d65.html

Further expansion of the Snow Basin base will lead to another road shit show like LCC in no time.

A tram from Weber state would not only defray traffic and diminish auto pollution, but it would also benefit small, diverse businesses in Ogden.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Further expansion of the Snow Basin base will lead to another road shit show like LCC in no time.

A tram from Weber state would not only defray traffic and diminish auto pollution, but it would also benefit small, diverse businesses in Ogden.
    I was going up trappers loop and it got backed up northbound by gapers turning left with people coming up Ogden canyon turning right into basin.

After 15 minutes of no movement I went back down and around 12 th st. If it’s a weekend I only go trappers on way home from skiing. It’s tough cause I love the scenery up there but basin has been a junk show as of late.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I was going up trappers loop and it got backed up northbound by gapers turning left with people coming up Ogden canyon turning right into basin.

After 15 minutes of no movement I went back down and around 12 th st. If it’s a weekend I only go trappers on way home from skiing. It’s tough cause I love the scenery up there but basin has been a junk show as of late.
    A tram from Weber would be so cool.
    I've only skied around there over the last 15 years but this year, the delayed or lack of opening Strawberry has been annoying. Is it due to lack of control work or mechanical issues or wind?