Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Warm up exercises for the lot

I find that it takes a while for my legs to really warm up and ski in a way I know Im physically capable of. By the time I hit that point I have to leave soon (I unfortunately cant ski for more than a few hours due to life), and certain muscles start to get tired, limiting my performance.

It would be nice to be able to warm up in the lot to help reach peak performance earlier.

Furious masterbation.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Getting my boots on works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Furious masterbation.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Considering I parked yesterday next to flowing alpy and his daughter, I dont think that will go over well.

Some light aerobic exercise and some light ski-related movement can help to get things "flossed" and fresh, but you are probably getting some of this just by getting from the car and across the lot. A quick bout or two of running in place and walking on curbs can be a bit of movement caffeine as well. Maybe try some quick boot skiing or some skating before getting on, and just after getting off the lift.

Beyond that, this is actually sounding like both a movement and a recovery / aerobic fitness issue. If you aren't doing a ski-related activity 3 to ideally 6 or 7 days a week, it will feel clumsy for a while. If you don't have good base aerobic fitness for skiing, your recovery after each run will get progressively worse. The result is that you can be shot fitness-wise right when the movements feel like they are coming back.

If you can't ski as often as you like, think about roller skiing or inline skating as options with some movement crossover. Some MTB drills also have some modest crossover. And if you aren't getting some low-level aerobic work multiple times a week to aid recovery, try to work that in also.

No offense, but it’s your on hill technique.
    Not relaxed enough when starting out. Clenching and gripping.
    Ski smooth, flowing, relaxed.
    Furious anything is not the answer

Green wax?
    . . .

If your quads are weak, train all week with blasters

http://mtntactical.com/exercises/mnt110-leg-blaster/
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BeardMech View Post
    Considering I parked yesterday next to flowing alpy and his daughter, I dont think that will go over well.
    I’m pretty sure alpy will have something available to loosen you right up.

For every sport Ive done, Ive always needed to warm up for an extended period of time and usually can last for a while once warmed up with no decline in performance, but since. Ive had kids its been an issue. I lift weights at home 4 days a week and ski twice (in mid spring I skin up somewhere for an hour or two once and lift ski once). I have trouble getting that much aerobic exercise because of my three little kids and compared to say college when I was road cycling 20-60 miles 3 to 4 times a week.

I have always been tense for some reason and still am figuring how to stay relaxed with out focusing on it 24/7.

If I have a full day I can ski for an hour, wait around for 45 and then ski the rest of the day fine.

Leg blasters are probably a good idea though.

I have always been tense for some reason
    do you sit for your job?

For every sport Ive done, Ive always needed to warm up for an extended period of time and usually can last for a while once warmed up with no decline in performance, but since. Ive had kids its been an issue. I lift weights at home 4 days a week and ski twice (in mid spring I skin up somewhere for an hour or two once and lift ski once). I have trouble getting that much aerobic exercise because of my three little kids and compared to say college when I was road cycling 20-60 miles 3 to 4 times a week.

I have always been tense for some reason and still am figuring how to stay relaxed with out focusing on it 24/7.

If I have a full day I can ski for an hour, wait around for 45 and then ski the rest of the day fine.

Leg blasters are probably a good idea though.
    Leg blasters will work your anaerobic endurance, but not recovery so much. Still not a bad idea if you aren't doing other or enough anaerobic endurance work.

Sports-wise, extended warmup normally is going to be counterproductive. Some warmup is certainly needed.

Your skiing an hour, then waiting, then being fine the rest of the day probably is tension tiring you for the first session, then either or both better technique/relaxation or less strenuous skiing thereafter.

Hearing that you lift weights at home 4x/week and then ski twice, I personally would consider cutting one or two of the home weight workouts, and replacing those with something like skating / xc sking / biking/ trail running.

In terms of tension while skiing, a warm-up run where you focus on some drills to get re-acquainted with your skis, each day, can help, though socially it can make it hard for people to ski with you.

Also, smiling and doing some mild neck rolls right before a run can make it harder to start the run tense.
    Last edited by GhostofSeasonsPast; 04-22-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    do you sit for your job?
    Some. Im a stay at home dad right now since all my kids are under 3. I walk outside with my kids, but other than that I dont really get that many chances to go outside for aerobic exercises. Ill try and see if I can at least squeeze a day in cycling.

I dated a girl whose warmup exercise in the parking lot was a mickey of Fireball. Fun times.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Some. Im a stay at home dad right now since all my kids are under 3. I walk outside with my kids, but other than that I dont really get that many chances to go outside for aerobic exercises. Ill try and see if I can at least squeeze a day in cycling.
    Good for you! Get a bike trailer and take them with.
    I learned to get up before the family, 5AMish and that was my time. My youngest is now 25, I still get up early.

Part of the problem is that my wife works 5 12 hour night shifts a week. Its hard enough sometimes getting out to ski because she has to sleep.

I gotta get a new bike. Though do they make a trailer for 3 kids? I have twin boys and daughter all under 3. Its even hard going to the park. With 3 kids compared to 1, im spread thin out side with them, as they love running in 3 different directions.

I guess Im just out of shape, especially compared to the rest of the people on this forum Id wager.

Part of the problem is that my wife works 5 12 hour night shifts a week. Its hard enough sometimes getting out to ski because she has to sleep.

I gotta get a new bike. Though do they make a trailer for 3 kids? I have twin boys and daughter all under 3. Its even hard going to the park. With 3 kids compared to 1, im spread thin out side with them, as they love running in 3 different directions.

I guess Im just out of shape, especially compared to the rest of the people on this forum Id wager.
    Probably not out of shape compared to many on here, don't worry.

Warm up exercises for the lot

I have a bad back. This is my parking lot routine: I do 15 leg swings front to back, and then same side-ward for each leg. Then 10-15 squats and 10-15-20ish Cossack squats, depending on how hard I plan to ski in the first run. All exercises increase in range throughout the set. Hope this helps.

While getting in shape is obviously a good thing it doesn't matter how good of shape you're in, you still need to warm up for best performance. Look how much time swimmers, runners, skaters spend warming up before races. You have to do intense enough exercise for the arteries in the muscles to dilate and for the heart rate to increase to pump more blood. This doesn't happen immediately when you start to exercise. Of course you have to have developed good enough endurance that your warm up doesn't tire you out before the event starts.

The older you get the longer it takes for the vasodilation and increased heart rate to happen. I don't have a skiing warm up routine. I should.

i just ride slowly and make a lot of turns for a couple runs. get warm, get a feel for my board on the snow.
    Last edited by wyeaster; 04-24-2018 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    While getting in shape is obviously a good thing it doesn't matter how good of shape you're in, you still need to warm up for best performance. Look how much time swimmers, runners, skaters spend warming up before races. ..
    Using Michael Phelps as an example, he normally stopped warming up at least 20 minutes before racing, and that was with a fantastic base aerobic system that allowed any effects of warming up to clear very quickly. Put a typical nonelite athlete through a similar warmup and they would be shot. At the start of a race, you want your CNS ready to go but your aerobic system completely recovered. This actually extends to stretching, where you want some bouncy stretches but long, slow stretching before athletic performance hurts, not helps.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    i just ride slowly and make a lot of turns for a couple runs. get warm, get a feel for my board on the snow.
    I like this except on a powder day, you have to be ready to go (at least around here). For a powder day try this:

Get your senses tuned in by driving to the hill like a madman.

Park your car and throw your shit on like you are a fireman who needs to ski to the fire. You should be breathing quite heavily by now, especially at altitude. Make sure that you are gearing up faster than anybody else you can see, but don't let them catch you looking at them, remember its not a race except that it is.

Do your best "I walk this fast all the time" fast as fuck walk or jog to the lift line and put your skis on. Then, stand there for 45 minutes or so, and keep leaning forward in your boots.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    No offense, but it’s your on hill technique.
    ^ this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    Using Michael Phelps as an example, he normally stopped warming up at least 20 minutes before racing, and that was with a fantastic base aerobic system that allowed any effects of warming up to clear very quickly. Put a typical nonelite athlete through a similar warmup and they would be shot. At the start of a race, you want your CNS ready to go but your aerobic system completely recovered. This actually extends to stretching, where you want some bouncy stretches but long, slow stretching before athletic performance hurts, not helps.
    Watching my kids' (1 cc, one swimmer) warmups back in HS, I realized I couldn't do their warmups, let alone their races.

At 20 minutes, you still have the vasodilation effect. Heart rate will have largely recovered but as a young person (maybe not swimming young) he is still able to get his heart rate up quickly. I'm not sure about this but I believe heart rate responds to vasodilation--until your arteries (actually it's the arterioles) dilate your muscles can't use much oxygen so there's no reason for your heart rate to increase. As the arteries dilate and your muscles get more and more oxygen that they consume your heart rate raises to meet demand. As I said, the older you are the longer vasodilation and tachycardia (fast heart rate) takes. On an exercise bike it takes me 20 minutes or so to maximize my heart rate. Hiking I have learned to start slow, sometimes really slow if I ate recently and gradually speed it up. As a skier--well, I don't take it slow on powder days. The pleasure overcomes the pain.

Coffee and a dump. Ski relaxed/low impact the first run. Add some some other shit if you're nursing and injury.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    ... I'm not sure about this but I believe heart rate responds to vasodilation--until your arteries (actually it's the arterioles) dilate your muscles can't use much oxygen so there's no reason for your heart rate to increase. ...
    Actually, dilation leads to a reduction in heart rate.