Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    GhostofSeasonsPast = PSIA level billionty

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    Actually, dilation leads to a reduction in heart rate.
    Not if the reason for the dilation is increased muscle oxygen demand due to exercise. In response to increased oxygen demand cardiac rate and contractility both increase. In experimental situations where an isolated vasodilation is produced then yes heart rate can decrease. In real life vasodilation and increased heart rate often go hand in hand--in the early warm phase of sepsis for example. If vasodilation occurs if heart rate and stroke volume did not increase the blood pressure would fall (in early sepsis it does despite the increase in HR and SV).

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Not if the reason for the dilation is increased muscle oxygen demand due to exercise. In response to increased oxygen demand cardiac rate and contractility both increase. In experimental situations where an isolated vasodilation is produced then yes heart rate can decrease. In real life vasodilation and increased heart rate often go hand in hand--in the early warm phase of sepsis for example. If vasodilation occurs if heart rate and stroke volume did not increase the blood pressure would fall (in early sepsis it does despite the increase in HR and SV).
    You are confusing things. During intense aerobic exercise, heart rate can increase alongside vasodilation, because of the demands of the activity. However, vasodilation does decrease heart rate, other things being equal. And this makes sense. You were previously suggesting that heart rate waited for vasodilation as a predicate to increasing, and that is not correct. The early spike in heart rate that occurs if aerobic exercise is started with no warmup at all bears this out.

Rock a long intense warm-up if you want to, though, it's all good.
    Last edited by GhostofSeasonsPast; 04-25-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Mikaela usually just struggles through 1 pull up for her warm up routine. But that is the unathletic routine.

You are confusing things. During intense aerobic exercise, heart rate can increase alongside vasodilation, because of the demands of the activity. However, vasodilation does decrease heart rate, other things being equal. And this makes sense. You were previously suggesting that heart rate waited for vasodilation as a predicate to increasing, and that is not correct. The early spike in heart rate that occurs if aerobic exercise is started with no warmup at all bears this out.

Rock a long intense warm-up if you want to, though, it's all good.
    You're missing the point. All things are not equal. The vasodilation is occurring due to increased 02 demand which increases heart rate. The problem is this--if the muscles are not warmed up then full on exercise will be difficult and while heart rate will increase, it won't increase a lot because oxygen demand is not yet high. As vasodilation occurs 02 demand increases and heart rate increases accordingly. If the vessels are already dilated due to warm up full exercise can be done immediately and heart rate will rise immediately and reach peak quickly. The point is that for maximum performance you need a warm up, no matter how fit you are. Fortunately, for most of us skiing does not require maximum aerobic performance right off the bat. My warm up is walking from the car to the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    You're missing the point. All things are not equal. The vasodilation is occurring due to increased 02 demand which increases heart rate. The problem is this--if the muscles are not warmed up then full on exercise will be difficult and while heart rate will increase, it won't increase a lot because oxygen demand is not yet high. As vasodilation occurs 02 demand increases and heart rate increases accordingly. If the vessels are already dilated due to warm up full exercise can be done immediately and heart rate will rise immediately and reach peak quickly. The point is that for maximum performance you need a warm up, no matter how fit you are. Fortunately, for most of us skiing does not require maximum aerobic performance right off the bat. My warm up is walking from the car to the lift.
    No. Again, you're inverting it, whatever.

Doctors are almost always wrong, I'm going with the kid that thinks Shiffrin isn't a natural athlete but makes up for it by doing extra pull-ups

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Jessie Diggins' warm up.

This is my parking lot warmup.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

+1 on the technique and mindset. Lifting weights ain't going to cut it. You need to mix in cardio/interval training along with a good diet, lots of water and plenty of rest--year round, not just starting in November.

Find a way to make it happen if it's important to you. And find a way to get more time on the hill. Strength and physique alone won't make you a better skier though. Practice will. The kids are an excuse. My wife and I have 3 kids, work full-time and still manage to work out 4-5 days a week at 5:30 a.m and have for years. Pays dividends just about everywhere.

You nerds arguing cardio and recovery blah blah blah

The op is way more aerobicaly fit than I am, but I know I can go from an office chair or couch and ski him into the ground.

His weakness is clenching, and muscling. Relax and use your weight and gravity. Make less turns. Ski like a patroller. A patroller in the Rockies. Not a New England bibbity bibbity turny patroller.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

The op is way more aerobicaly fit than I am, but I know I can go from an office chair or couch and ski him into the ground.

His weakness is clenching, and muscling. Relax and use your weight and gravity. Make less turns. Ski like a patroller. A patroller in the Rockies. Not a New England bibbity bibbity turny patroller.
    Jesus!?!

You NEVER go full patroller.

great point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Jesus!?!

You NEVER go full patroller.
    haahhaahaha

I really think you may be right. Ive always have had issues with being to tense. Im ultra ADD and rarely ever feel relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardMech View Post
    I really think you may be right. Ive always have had issues with being to tense. Im ultra ADD and rarely ever feel relaxed.
    A friend gave me some THC mints when he moved north of the border. You can have them; might be good for the long boards.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Coffee and a dump.
    dilation leads to a reduction in heart rate.
    x3

That may be beyond the capacity of this forum to help.

Quote Originally Posted by thebrucemac View Post
    +1 on the technique and mindset. Lifting weights ain't going to cut it. You need to mix in cardio/interval training along with a good diet, lots of water and plenty of rest--year round, not just starting in November.

Find a way to make it happen if it's important to you. And find a way to get more time on the hill. Strength and physique alone won't make you a better skier though. Practice will. The kids are an excuse. My wife and I have 3 kids, work full-time and still manage to work out 4-5 days a week at 5:30 a.m and have for years. Pays dividends just about everywhere.
    On the practice front, to elaborate on this earlier post, we're at the end of this hemisphere's season but the op has a lot of months for dryland practice. Just to take one activity that can have movement carryover alongside conditioning benefit, inline skating done with a ski technique focus can help a lot. The op can Google some inline ski-specific drills, and video can help a lot on reviewing not just form but relaxation. You probably are not that tense while walking or running, because you're fairly skilled at those activities and less skilled for now at activities similar to skiing.

Knee bends would be a good way to warm up in the parking lot, perhaps followed by a couple of mini-leg blasters if you find you need more. You'll have to figure out for yourself how much warmup you need.
    WARNING Do not attempt knee bends in buckled ski boots unless you are clicked into your skis. (See Gaper Quotes.)
    WARNING--Do not attempt mini blasters in a snow covered parking lot. You will hurt yourself and by the time you are ready to ski all the fresh will be gone.

As others have said--the more fit you are and the better your ski technique the easier it will be to ski (duh). But being fit, improving your skiing, and warming up are not mutually exclusive, and warming up will give you some benefit a lot faster than the other two, which you should obviously not neglect.

Ski like a patroller. A patroller in the Rockies. Not a New England bibbity bibbity turny patroller.
    Skiing like a patroller is a sure fire way to send your technique into the ground like the Hindenburg
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Dulcolax?

Well I do take oxycodone everyday so that could be useful.

About ten years ago, first trip in many years, I threw out my back bending over buckling my boot. I skied for 4 hours anyway but was a total basket case and couldn't even tie my shoes without sitting down for several weeks after that.

Now I take it a little slower, not in such a rush to get on the lift. Then, do a little stretching at the top before the first somewhat mellow run or two before cranking things up..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Well I do take oxycodone everyday so that could be useful.
    Um...

That was my thought as well...

That does shed some new light on the problem.