Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    I'm being dense here and not understanding. Will oil make them more prone to loosening?

Yes. Use anti seize compound if you're worried about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I'm being dense here and not understanding. Will oil make them more prone to loosening?
    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

might be wrong thread but thought i'd ask...have a 2005 toyota matrix with a minor leak of front transfer case/driveshaft thingy seal. Had level checked every oil change, doesn't lose much. Had it checked again and shop said the bolt is seized. Previous to this, a different shop checked it last fall, probably over torqued.

24mm steel bolt in alu housing. Pretty thin in profile. Went to assess it myself and the last shop probably used a 12 point wrench; corners of bolt rounded off.

Any pro tips on how to get this bolt off? One shop recommended hammer and chisel and back it out incrementally. Replace bolt after as the chiseling will nuke the bolt. Skeptical.
    Master of mediocrity.

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    good lead....tried the file bolt hex surface a bit flatter/attach vice grips tight/use wrench for xtra leverage. Polished the bolt nicely and ground it round. punched with chisel and hammer and made some nice dents but no bolt movement. don't have any thing to heat it with and would probably burn the neighborhood down if i tried that tactic anyways.

Sigh....shoulda stuck to ski teching. off to the shop she goes. sux...no replacement bolts in canada..have to order replacement from california apparently.

Total cost of repair and new bolt is likely gonna be the price of a good used pair of fat skis.
    Master of mediocrity.

Sucks. I liked the idea of welding on a nut. Heat always wins. You're taking it to your favorite mechanic, right? The one that you bring donuts and cider to occasionally?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Wtf? Propane torch is cheap and will probably get the job done. I would hit the bolt with penetrating lube for a few days, a few heat cycles, and use a grinder to get the head down to the next size.

And bullshit the bolt can't be found in Canada. I would give good odds you can find a replacement at the hardware store. At most you may need to cut to size and clean up the edge. And if for some reason reason the car company is sourcing non-standard bolts (think about it, they're not) I am sure there is someone with a lathe closer than California.

Your bike stand is a multipurpose, rubberized clamp. Works great for holding your fork or seatpost for servicing and probably a host of other things also... Like your bike.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

My cat figured out how to open the human friendly flat inside door handle to get outside. Obvious answer is to install round door knobs to fix the problem..but small round ones suck for humans carrying skis/pack/two bags of groceries and or double fisting beers and you wanna elbow the outside handle down to open door... tried indoor round/outdoor flat but innards were different specs so no go. DIY fix is to cut off the top of a plastic cashew nut container and zip tie it to the indoor handle. Easy to rotate with the human hand and cat proof.

Name:  vlcsnap-2018-05-25-09h47m00s232.png
Views: 680
Size:  199.2 KB

Name:  vlcsnap-2018-05-25-09h48m30s180.png
Views: 687
Size:  258.4 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20180525_09_06_13_Pro.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	236979

Name:	WIN_20180525_09_06_44_Pro.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	236978
    Master of mediocrity.

I sense your cat wants GTFO of your place. Let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I sense your cat wants GTFO of your place. Let it go.
    Nah...they like it here while i do tgr-ing.

Name:	WIN_20180526_10_06_23_Pro.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	237079
    Master of mediocrity.

Outdoor ski bench for summer tunes/waxing. Just spread the legs to have continuously variable height for easy 'just right' setting. After scraping skis, mow the grass to nuke the debris.

Inspired by a buddy's motorcycle hoist.

Name:  33677202_2091063424254507_4039997674869489664_n.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:	P1090638.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	237701

Name:	P1090639.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	237702

Name:	P1090640.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	237703

Name:	P1090641.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	237704

Name:	P1090642.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	237705
    Master of mediocrity.

Voile straps. More versatile than duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Outdoor ski bench for summer tunes/waxing. Just spread the legs to have continuously variable height for easy 'just right' setting. After scraping skis, mow the grass to nuke the debris.
    If you don't have an adjustable ladder, or want to set up/break down even faster, just buy two plastic sawhorses from Harbor Freight for about $10 each (remember the perpetual 20% off coupon) and tune your skis/board on those.

If the wheel on your cheap computer mouse starts going nuts and moving randomly when you roll it up or down, you don't need a new mouse. Open it up and spray contact cleaner inside the mechanical encoder on one end of the spindle. (Expensive mice often have optical encoders that don't gunk up as fast. If it's optical, just blow the dust out with canned air.)

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    , just buy two plastic sawhorses from Harbor Freight for about $10 each
    No!!!
    I broke those so fast it was amazing. Had to replace the hinges with scrap wood braces.

Much prefer the stackable ones at HD.

At risk of TMI, flaming and ridicule here but...could help a fellow bad back mag out...

If you put out yer back, literally can't sit without spasms and extreme pain and temp paralysis and need lower lumber support for the throne. Shoebox with two stacked 2x6es cushioned with a folded hand towel and taped shut.

Game changer.

Name:	P1090698.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	792.4 KB 
ID:	239937
    Master of mediocrity.

If you don't have an adjustable ladder, or want to set up/break down even faster, just buy two plastic sawhorses from Harbor Freight for about $10 each (remember the perpetual 20% off coupon) and tune your skis/board on those..)
    constrcution guy told me they all call them ^^ saw horses "triggers"

that looks like another game changer for guido no need to spend money on PT, defintley a game changer when you literally need to " git shit done "
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-26-2018 at 11:13 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If you don't have an adjustable ladder, or want to set up/break down even faster, just buy two plastic sawhorses from Harbor Freight for about $10 each (remember the perpetual 20% off coupon) and tune your skis/board on those.
    Buy a pair of metal folding legs like these (they were like $40 on amazon last year) http://www.ruggedbuddy.com/Store.html
    and a 2*12" of the length you'd like. Permanent, foldable, workbench for your skis.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Buy a pair of metal folding legs like these (they were like $40 on amazon last year) http://www.ruggedbuddy.com/Store.html
    and a 2*12" of the length you'd like. Permanent, foldable, workbench for your skis.
    I prefer this solution for less than the price of one of those rugged buddy's:

2x Ebco Steel Sawhorses
    1x 2x6

Cut 2x6 longer than saw horses, drill holes into top of sawhorses, secure 2x6. Now you have your portable workbench at less than half the cost ($40 vs. $120 for two) and can easily replace the top for a new surface. Bonus: saw or drill too deep and you saw into the disposable 2x6; also can clamp onto it from any side.

If you're looking to give yourself work, 2x6 can be cut with gaps such that you have slots sawing for 2x4s

Edit: this dude did his dumb. Cut the 2x6 longer so you have about 2" of overhang on each end
    Attached Images Attached Images  

DIY Git Shit Done 'Pro Tips' Thread

I have a bunch of those from when my office furniture was door slabs over sawhorses...very useful items

Anybody have thoughts or experience on how to modify a touring boot to increase the range of motion? It’s obviously summer and I’ve got too much time to think about next season... trying to avoid buying a new pair of boots, and I feel like increasing the ROM on my current touring shoes (salomon qst 130) would fix most of the problems I’ve had.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Anybody have thoughts or experience on how to modify a touring boot to increase the range of motion? It’s obviously summer and I’ve got too much time to think about next season... trying to avoid buying a new pair of boots, and I feel like increasing the ROM on my current touring shoes (salomon qst 130) would fix most of the problems I’ve had.
    Forward ROM, rearward ROM or both?
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Forward ROM, rearward ROM or both?
    If you’ve got ideas on both, I’ll listen!

Not sure if this video has been shared yet, but it and the whole channel are wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I prefer this solution for less than the price of one of those rugged buddy's:
    those are definitely cheaper. the advantage of the rugged buddy (and it's expensive now, no doubt) is it folds up flatter for stroage.

here's a tip: buy a Fein Multimaster. They kick ass, very useful for all kinds of task. And the newer models have far less vibration so they don't fuck up your elbows.