Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    New opportunity presented itself yesterday when I went to replace a squishy piece of window trim. This installation is less than 10 years old per neighbor. Cut out a few inches past what's rotten, grafted in new studs, runner, replaced missing sheathing rebuilt the sill pan with TiteSeal, reinstalled window temporarily for overnight security.

Today, pulling most of the siding, reflashing the window, and reinstalling. I got some Owens Corning deck defense (similar properties to tyvek wrap) from the roofers that are here and that'll allow me some time to decide if I want to redo the siding or try to reuse what's here.

Just a bandaid job to get down the road. This whole wall and several feet of subfloor would need to be rebuilt to do it right.

Lesson learned on window water intrusion vigilance. Previous owner had these put in less than 10 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    What was intrusion point?

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    What was intrusion point?
    Either the Z flashing that was placed above the top trim board (instead of above the window) or more likely the overly-thick lower trim board that was sloped in toward the house. Could have been a window maintenance issue as well. I definitely noticed something funky around that trim board last year and did nothing about it.

you should build a new custom home somewhere closer to skiing
    with an extra suite for ovenight guests
    i know a guy

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    you should build a new custom home somewhere closer to skiing
    with an extra suite for ovenight guests
    i know a guy
    Sounds like a plan. Just need a location.

Always rent a bigger piece of machinery than you think you need, you'll need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    Save the heavy rubber bands from broccoli clusters and put them in your tuning kit. Use them to hold back ski brakes while you're filing and waxing.
    While these work, they break really quick. All rubber-bands do.

Paracord, and a spring cord-lock.
    Small loop tied in one end Run the other end through the loop and the cord-lock after. Tie a small knot to keep the cord-lock from coming off.
    Now you have an "adjustable" band. Thread the brake arms and tighten the cord-lock.

They won't break or wear out any time in your lifetime, even if you're six.
    Cord-locks from ebay are like $1.50 a dozen.
    You probably already have miles of accessory cord. [If you don't you're in the wrong thread, eh?]

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    voile ski straps work good in a pinch
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    voile ski straps work good in a pinch
    Piece of bailing wire bent into a c shape works for me. Cost is around $0.02

Ok cost is more of you have to go buy bailing wire. But if you don’t already have some on-hand, again you’re probably in the wrong thread (stuff is only about as useful as duct tape)

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    On the eraser front, the little japanese rust erasers http://www.korin.com/Rust-Eraser-Sabitoru_3 - amazon and others sell them, they are cheap, are pretty cool for cleaning up things that got slightly too rusty.
    These are a larger version of the same sort of thing--come in fine, medium, and coarse
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/k...702d65930009cb

Not sure how I managed to go most of my life without a cordless impact driver. Picked one up as part of a set when buying a new drill a couple weeks ago. Needed to pull apart part of my deck over the weekend and the driver was so much easier than previous times with a drill. Just sit and wait while the screw works its way out rather than overdriving the screw, stripping the head, and having to use an easy-out to get it out.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    On the eraser front, the little japanese rust erasers http://www.korin.com/Rust-Eraser-Sabitoru_3 - amazon and others sell them, they are cheap, are pretty cool for cleaning up things that got slightly too rusty.
    For removing rust on chrome plated metal: spray wd40 on a copper scouring pad (just non-soap-infused copper - steel wool or scothbrite will scratch the chrome) and scrub away. Then wipe clean with a soft cloth. Unless the piece is severely rusted (where there'd be chrome peeling up), the rust usually just happens through tiny pores - this treatment normally leaves clean-looking, shiny chrome (if possibly somewhat patina'd - the state of the underlying chrome is what it is, but the results are usually surprisingly excellent). I've used this for restoring vintage bikes, and have gotten some trainwreck-looking pieces looking very nice indeed, with ease. Just try not to get the WD on painted surfaces.
    Last edited by skizix; 04-25-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Not sure how I managed to go most of my life without a cordless impact driver. Picked one up as part of a set when buying a new drill a couple weeks ago. Needed to pull apart part of my deck over the weekend and the driver was so much easier than previous times with a drill. Just sit and wait while the screw works its way out rather than overdriving the screw, stripping the head, and having to use an easy-out to get it out.
    This - and using an impact driver on mechanical projects has been a revelation. My projects lean heavily to the old and rusty.

I had my small impact driver for carpentry shit and I was struggling trying not to fuck up some fasteners someone had torqued to holeefuck specs, when my bro was like - why don't you use that?

baaam - there was light.

This what the little stretched sucker looked like when she came out.

Name:  screw.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  17.5 KB

If it's white, yer allright.

If it's brown, go around.

If it's pink, poke it.

If it's green, smoke it.

It's black, might be hash, give me that.

If it's orange, it's an orange.

Re impact driver. Got one with a half inch ratchet head and use it for lug nuts when changing out winter tires. For that purpose alone it's worth the money. Ryobi's "air strike" finish nailer has also been indispensable.

Re impact driver. Got one with a half inch ratchet head and use it for lug nuts when changing out winter tires. For that purpose alone it's worth the money. Ryobi's "air strike" finish nailer has also been indispensable.

Yea, Harbor Freight Impact driver and a floor jack make changing tires a cinch... time to take the snows off right now actually
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

After cutting cable housing for your bicycle, but before sliding the caps on each end, stick a small scratch awl in each end to make the housing ends perfectly round again.

Headlamps > flashlights. Armytek and Zebralight make some really nice ones if you're willing to pay more to avoid figuring out what's good in the morass of ebay or aliexpress.

Any coffee grinder is a motorized grinder if you have a cordless drill.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Broccoli rubber bands are pretty stout. I've never broken one in over ten years of using them. Rubber stretchy bracelets are even stouter and work well too.

Rubber stretchy bracelets are even stouter and work well too.
    O- rings from auto parts stores are $$$. Sized out for fatter and skinny. Pretty sure Ace carries o- rings as well.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180426_043904772.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	479.9 KB 
ID:	233827 Or gear ties also work really well

A pound of #84 rubberbands is ~$6
    That Don't Make No Sense

Re impact driver. Got one with a half inch ratchet head and use it for lug nuts when changing out winter tires. For that purpose alone it's worth the money.
    Yeah, but you lose the cool sound from a pneumatic driver. ;-) I was a little surprised how well and durable my cordless hammer drill bore into concrete for anchors. Having a drill and a driver combo expedites projects by eliminating drill bit and driver swapping.

For our camp trailer the driver works great for quickly cranking the scissor jack stabilizers. It saves a bunch of tedious hand cranking.....as long as the jacks aren't bent out of shape by nailing stuff dragging the trailer over high clearance objects.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Restoring hazy headlight lenses with a $20 Mothers NuLens kit and a couple hours of tedium is worth it in the end:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4721.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	233829

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4720.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	233830

I haven't put a clear coat on to keep it from happening again. But, per the video, the Rustoleum Ultra Clear Coat looks like it'll do the job.

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

By far, my favorite brake retainer is a slice of used motorcycle inner tube.
    One tube makes dozens of them.
    Strong and long lasting.

I cam here to post about impact drivers, looks like that has been covered.

This spring I splurged on the best pair of adjustable die crimpers for big wires (8-4/0) I could find under $200 and a good pair of removable die crimpers for smaller gauges (10 AWG and less). Not only has it been a revelation to not use the bullshit, plyer-style crimpers for electrical projects but when I factor in all the beer I have received in exchange for their use I will be way ahead by the end of year.

Any coffee grinder is a motorized grinder if you have a cordless drill.
    we rigged a $30 hand-cranked, ceramic burr grinder to the motor of a bladed grinder from goodwill. Enjoy a tasty beverage, laugh at those spending $300 to grind their coffee beans.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post

we rigged a $30 hand-cranked, ceramic burr grinder to the motor of a bladed grinder from goodwill. Enjoy a tasty beverage, laugh at those spending $300 to grind their coffee beans.
    I have both of those things and would love to do that!

Sounds kinda like my cousin’s weed-whacker powered blender. Great for camping margaritas

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Sounds kinda like my cousin’s weed-whacker powered blender. Great for camping margaritas
    Looks like I ought to see about rigging my drill to our hand crank Camping blender.

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com