Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Take away all sources of joy and entertainment for a few days. Toiling in the hot sun was his only option for stimulation that weekend. He loves to swing a hammer and use his drill, but maybe because using them on actual adult projects is still pretty new.

He loves to feel like he's helping, and in this case, he totally is. I didn't have to pull one nail out of the old fence. I stacked up panels and he went to town on them. I think the important thing is that it was HIS job... Not the typical "dad has to supervise and maybe jump in to do this better" type thing. I gave him an extensive safety lesson, a few crow bar pointers, and then he was in charge of breaking down panels.

He worked so fucking hard I was shocked. So then I had him drill in the bottom of each fence board as I held them level. Then he got to do the last panel all on his own. Throughout the project, i focused on building a sense of ownership and a "winter is coming" sense of urgency and necessity. I also emphasized "work hard, play hard." Suddenly, he realized dad wouldn't always be a dick about wanting to eat less-than-healthy food or playing video games as long as we were earning the rewards through hard work. Wish someone taught me that at age 11. But it's too soon to declare victory just yet...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just cut my skins and am not all that happy with the effort

Nothing like shooting first asking questions later...cuz TGR

Anybody have a decent methodology for getting the skin edges PERFECT? Not close enough, not good enough, but dead on balls accurate

It seems like there’s no reference point for center and you just have to eyeball it

Anybody really anal about these things?

Use the edge of the ski as a straightedge.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

DIY Git Shit Done 'Pro Tips' Thread

I followed the recommended cut procedure but it leaves plenty of room for improvement
    Shift over by width of edge then shift other way to get second edge
    Looking for better controlled output
    It’s not awful but it’s not great either

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post

Anybody have a decent methodology for getting the skin edges PERFECT? Not close enough, not good enough, but dead on balls accurate

It seems like there’s no reference point for center and you just have to eyeball it

Buy/use the G3 offset skin cutter which can be purchased seperately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugjhLKuY6U0 I sell Colltex skins but always use the G3 cutter to fit them.

K2 have a similar tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46M6ihFBFhg

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Buy/use the G3 offset skin cutter which can be purchased seperately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugjhLKuY6U0 I
    Yep... after having perfected a technique with BD cutter, I discovered the G3 cutter, easy as pie
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I think I have one I can give you if you want it.

DIY Git Shit Done 'Pro Tips' Thread

Well, ok, then...the G3 tool looks waay better. My old K2 one in my box of ski tools was an old style like the BD one that I just used to hack my new skins

Thx all!

Abe, if you’ve got an extra you’re willing to part with, that be awesome...lemme know how I can help make that happen

Edit: REI has them near me, so for $8, I can head down there
    Last edited by acinpdx; 10-14-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Stating the obvious, be sure and anchor the ski so it does not move while installing the skins and cutting.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I just snap off a new blade and use an OLFA razor knife, i think it makes a cleaner edge and its easier to handle
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Well, ok, then...the G3 tool looks waay better. My old K2 one in my box of ski tools was an old style like the BD one that I just used to hack my new skins

Thx all!

Abe, if you’ve got an extra you’re willing to part with, that be awesome...lemme know how I can help make that happen

Edit: REI has them near me, so for $8, I can head down there
    If you buy one new, it should have the updated edge offset and will be money.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181015_075619.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	251073

The old G3 cutters would trim a little too much skin, leaving about an edge worth of base showing on both sides which is too much IMO.

^^^ that’s what I wanted to do

Mine is a bit wonky, tho still effective

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    If you buy one new, it should have the updated edge offset and will be money.

The old G3 cutters would trim a little too much skin, leaving about an edge worth of base showing on both sides which is too much IMO.
    thats ^^ what I thot, Ideally you want to see edge but NO base material

I do think these skin trimming tools are great for the average person, I had a roomey who from looking around his house should not be allowed to own tools so I purposely said nothing/just watched ( I was ready to intervene) him use the old G3 tool to see if he would fuck it up but it worked fine
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Seems appropriate for this time of year: first few years I had kids we struggled with the normal bullshit pumpkin carving tools. They suck. At some point the lightbulb went on. We now carve with drywall saws, a power jigsaw and cordless drills. A holesaw and a cordless drill = perfect round hole in a pumpkin.

You can be in and out on the pumpkin carving thing in 15 minutes for 4 pumpkins.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Seems appropriate for this time of year: first few years I had kids we struggled with the normal bullshit pumpkin carving tools. They suck. At some point the lightbulb went on. We now carve with drywall saws, a power jigsaw and cordless drills. A holesaw and a cordless drill = perfect round hole in a pumpkin.

You can be in and out on the pumpkin carving thing in 15 minutes for 4 pumpkins.
    Dremel and X-Acto too. And 15 minutes only works if you're not doing a sweet ass tribute to Hela from the newly released (in 2017) Thor movie.

Took me every bit of 90 minutes, but worth it.

No idea what I'm gonna do this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post

Brilliant. Good tips.

Here's mine:

Ikea furniture screws are relatively easy to strip wood with. So instead of hand-tightening all of them, use a low-limit torque setting on a cordless drill. Start low and then ramp up once you get a sense for where the setting gets you. I think it's like setting #5-8 on my Makita 18v. Sometimes I'll finish by hand, but most times not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Buy pre-cut skins for your skis

acinpdx; if you find an older g3 cutter...it's been a number of years but i think i added a mm or two spacer to close that base gap for the skin trim.
    Master of mediocrity.

The pomoca skin trimming tool is the best I've used.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Project bring a slumping retaining wall back to close to vertical project.

Used a car jack and lots of chunks of 2 x 6ish wood. Laid a long 2 x 6 down to stack the the little guys onto. Used a tree trunk as a support for the system.

Worked good!

Name:  P1100004.JPG
Views: 437
Size:  336.6 KB

Name:  P1100011.JPG
Views: 431
Size:  282.7 KB

Name:  P1100006.JPG
Views: 442
Size:  327.1 KB

Name:  P1100008.JPG
Views: 433
Size:  317.7 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sintered base repair sheets can be cut to make perfect shims to tighten the fit of Yakima and Thule, etc connectors around 1" tubing or pipe. The Yakima Road Warrior is more useful when the 1" tubing can utilize connectors:

Name:	IMG_5787.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	436.7 KB 
ID:	252131

Name:	IMG_5785.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	252132
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Aaahhh! I’ve been looking for a material that fits that damn problem. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

^^^
    it's a 'Peppy and cheap' solution and working great.

After cutting all kinds of materials with my 1,000 lb, 40 year old worm drive SkilSaw, I picked up a 4 1/2" compact saw with guide track. It is a very handy saw, light and powerful enough for cutting up to 2x's.

Also VERY handy, is having (3) lightweight RIGID Flip Top Portable Work Supports around for painting, tablesaw and chop saw outfeeds, extend a work bench, among other uses, including a mini table/work surface. They are easier to set up and work as well as roller outfeed supports. You can add a bolt to lock the tipping feature, too.

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

When putting screen over a hole a bird chewed into the attic vent, make sure the bird doesn’t fly out at you when you are 15’ up in the air.