Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Canada should ban all of the people that voted for Trump.
    It would be just that much more pleasant.
    Sadly, if we were to vote for our leader directly, there is a percentage of our population that would cast a vote for a Trump. I’m not sure they would apologize for it either.

I'm a non welcome southern neighbor and have traveled across the DMZ a few times successfully. Last time was 2 years ago. I make sure I'm never the driver but I've never seen the passports run through the system.. Pretty sure if they nab on an old infraction you get a one time pass. Unless you or the crossing guard is a dick. Be cool.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Pretty sure Canada Border Services doesn't rely on google searches when screening for admissibility. Just sayin
    I didn’t imply this, merely meant meant I cannot find what I actually ended up plea bargaining to with the local municipality.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I'm a non welcome southern neighbor and have traveled across the DMZ a few times successfully. Last time was 2 years ago. I make sure I'm never the driver but I've never seen the passports run through the system.. Pretty sure if they nab on an old infraction you get a one time pass. Unless you or the crossing guard is a dick. Be cool.
    This is what I was thinking...something to be said with me not being a douche in the border crossing situation, traveling with my family and it happening 20 years ago, but that’s an assumption.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

IME the Canadian border agents are welcoming to a family carload on a holiday. Turning back old DUI's is a low priority as it's bad for business. OTOH, the Barney Fife's on the US side can be dicks. I've been pulled out of the car twice. Once coming back from a sales call when my partner didn't keep his mouth shut and mentioned the samples we were bringing back in the trunk. The other time was when I crossed as a hitch hiker sporting a peacoat ponytail "hiippy" look and caught a ride crossing the border with this guy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brower_bulldog2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	294157
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Hey kids, I’m gonna resurrect this thread, and seek advice from you fine people. (Always the best Idea, right?)
    So 11+ years ago when I was a drunken fool, I got two DUI’s in a three year period. (I have been sober since, thanks!).
    Is there any possibility of ‘rehabilitation’, and if so, what is the best way to proceed?
    Are there any good lawyers that specialize in this?
    Willing to throw some decent money at the problem (but so are lots of assholes like me).
    This is all post-Covid speculation, of course. Is 11 years enough, or is it forever?
    EDIT: perused a bunch of official info, seems like it’s possible, but a time consuming process..
    But perhaps with the border closed there is significantly less workload? .
    Would love to hear some first hand or anonymous accounts of success!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I know someone who has a 10+ year old weed misdemeanor charge. They still putting the hammer on Americans trying to enter Canada with those kinds of minor non-DUI related charges?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I know someone who has a 10+ year old weed misdemeanor charge. They still putting the hammer on Americans trying to enter Canada with those kinds of minor non-DUI related charges?
    isnt the problem the definition of what is a misdeamor in Canada vs America ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    isnt the problem the definition of what is a misdeamor in Canada vs America ?

So, you hosers, my application to re-enter Canada was approved today! It took almost two years to process due to COVID. So psyched! Poutine in Squamish next summer!

So, you hosers, my application to re-enter Canada was approved today! It took almost two years to process due to COVID. So psyched! Poutine in Squamish next summer!
    No offence…. But the only place in Canada with good poutine is Quebec.

However… when you’re heading that way I would suggest a meet up at Sonny Chiba’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post

However… when you’re heading that way I would suggest a meet up at Sonny Chiba’s.
    Good poutine can be found on occasion in the west. Was at Art Wells a few years ago, and there was this Québécois couple in a food truck that did them so right. She was ramming spuds through the press and manning the deep fryer, and he managed the perfectly seasoned gravy over the fries, with real cheese curds. And in true Québécois fashion, right in front of his lady, he was propositioning every young lass that stepped up to the window. They couldn’t keep up with the crowd after the evening shows. They had a pulled pork topping option too.

Shit, got a serious craving now. And we hope to catch that festival the next time it’s held. Top marks from the whole family, that festival.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Good poutine can be found on occasion in the west. Was at Art Wells a few years ago, and there was this Québécois couple in a food truck that did them so right. She was ramming spuds through the press and manning the deep fryer, and he managed the perfectly seasoned gravy over the fries, with real cheese curds. And in true Québécois fashion, right in front of his lady, he was propositioning every young lass that stepped up to the window. They couldn’t keep up with the crowd after the evening shows. They had a pulled pork topping option too.

Shit, got a serious craving now. And we hope to catch that festival the next time it’s held. Top marks from the whole family, that festival.
    Look…. I grew up in the east but have lived in the west for 20 years… We butcher poutine (and chicken wings out here but that almost needs its own thread)

The shit ass poutine from the airport in Quebec City with the skinned over “brown gravy” blows the doors off any poutine out here, including the québécois places like the one on Main in Van…. And as you you say it’s about the curds… Imported curds are refrigerated and lose the squeak… In Quebec those fuckers are room temp and melt perfectly.

The coast has amazing food of all kinds but poutine (and chicken wings) are not it. If I offended anyone, sorry eh.

Damn. That's a long time.

I'm going on a Canadian hut trip with a couple fellow Americans in January. One of the people on the trip has a DUI from 2008 and a minor in possession charge from 2006. They have been worried about getting into Canada, so they are trying to go through the correct legal channels.

Did you use a lawyer, and which path did you go down to be allowed into Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post

Yeah, I know, I went to school in Stowe, was up there all the time. But I would rather bike in Squamish. Kevo, I will PM you with my lawyer info.
    Last edited by rideit; 09-08-2022 at 10:30 PM.

A dude I know got a OWI back in April 2007. Nothing else since. But can he fly to Calgary this winter to go skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post

I used paddle with a quebecois who claimed a food truck in Hixon had the real poutine, Pierre said you must have the real cheese curds,

the HBM ski hill bar had 10 kinds of poutine when the manager was a Quebecois gal but I think its lapsed a bit since she left to have kids

Quote Originally Posted by RUBBERDUCK View Post
    A dude I know got a OWI back in April 2007. Nothing else since. But can he fly to Calgary this winter to go skiing?
    I don’t know his circumstances, so can’t say. But he would be doing some gambling to assume he could. If he tries and doesn’t get in, he can be denied for a much longer time. Tell him to do some research on his case. (Conviction, expunged, BAC, etc).
    Not something to fuck around with and hope for the best, IMO.

Thots n prayers for you non-canadians having to deal with federal Canadian simple servants