Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Getting into Canada

Looks like I'm going to need to go to Canada at least once a year for a while for sales meetings for the new line I just picked up. Unfortunately over 20 years ago I had an alcohol offense in California that I wasn't aware of relating to a car accident so I never fought it and it turned into a suspended license. From what I understand that can make it tough to get into Canada, is it still that way? What do I need to do to find out if I'm blocked and get that changed?

in my experince its the second alcohol offense that really pisses off the canadians... you might be ok with just the one.

If you have been deemed inadmissible to canada then there is a whole laundry list of bullshit you need to do that you can find on the canadian consulate website.

Included in that list... get a letter from the FBI clearing you of any warrants or outstanding charges.

If you are inadmissible its a serious headache.

I would try contacting a canadian border patrol office and ask if you are admissible.

Just follow these guys.

the caption said it was refugees fleeing into Canada from the US but honestly it looks like they just went to get some groceries

^^Haha

I'll be in NYC a few times coming up this spring. Maybe I'll just pop into the embassy and find out what's up.

Tried that once.

Couldnt get withing 20 yds of the elevator.

Maybe the NYC office will be more mellow than Detroit but... kind of doubt it.

I would worried about getting back into the US
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Puts a new meaning to the words "illegal alien" when you are one. I've driven in a bunch of times without a problem. I heard that they were losing so much tourist biz that they will give you one "get out of jail free" card. Or pay a few thou so they can call you rehabilitated. My advice is wing it and enjoy the rush of being a wanted man.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Contact the Canada Border Services and ask. It's better to find out now then risk a rejection which will permanently fuck up any future attempts.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/menu-eng.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    Contact the Canada Border Services and ask. It's better to find out now then risk a rejection which will permanently fuck up any future attempts.

Yes... "wing it" is bad advice unless you Don't care about being banned for life from Canada.

I know a guy who thought he might not be allowed in Canada and he tried to "wing it".... they will never let him into Canada again.

Im never going to jump through all the hoops necessary to be admissible... so there goes my dream of driving the trans labrador highway.

Every once in a while I sneak over to my friends grandmothers house by boat though.
    Maybe thats enough Canada for me.

Shit, by that point you're in Canada already, Labrador awaits! I mean if they catch you what do they do, send you back?

Own up to it at work, and let them sort it out with immigration. Given the time period, it should not be an issue. For myself, I've been given shit (and paid) at border crossings, but never at an airport.

Ive though about that and yeah.. maybe I just get sent back.... but maybe that takes a few weeks of sitting in random jails... in Labrador... getting transported back to U.S.

At that point... even if Im spared of any serious jail time... risk>reward

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a few weeks of processing and transport in there.

Would be TR worthy with it's own thread. Sounds like maybe the OP might be nervous and sweating when his handed his passport with a shaking hand in his position. Guess my advice works for me and muskie fishermen.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I went Heli skiing in Canada this year. One of guys there had a buddy that paid for the trip and they both flew in from LA. The buddy had a recent DUI. When going through immigration, they turned the buddy around and put him on the next flight back to LA. The "guy" got a free Heli week without said guy.

I also have a friend that did nothing, when flying into Canada a few years ago, that the canucks held him in the airport for hours with no apparent reason, which caused him to miss his next fight and miss a day a skiing. I suppose they just don't want our money.

Found this with the googles http://www.canadaduientrylaw.com

To be eligible to apply for Criminal Rehab, five years must have passed since the completion of your sentence which includes payment of fines, driving courses, community service, probation, and any other conditions which may have been imposed on you.

If it has been more than ten years since the completion of your sentence, and you have nothing else on your criminal record, Canadian immigration authorities may disregard your prior DUI conviction and allow you to visit the country. If you have two or more drunk driving violations or other excludable criminal convictions on your record, however, you will never be deemed rehabilitated by virtue of time and may be inadmissible to Canada without a Temporary Resident Permit or Criminal Rehabilitation even 20+ years later.

I have been hearing more and more stories about this.

Canada does not just want to talk about what you have been convicted of, they get into what you have been arrested for.

I decided some time ago, it's not even worth the effort to try skiing in Canada. And make sure a flight to AK does not even stop there.
    I don't think I am alone in this line of thought
    Last edited by MTT; 04-20-2018 at 09:40 AM.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I don't get Canada. Toronto is full of fuckers that come from countries like Kahdgkahgagistan who can't get into the USofA, yet if you have a blemish on your record and are a US citizen you can't get in?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

10 year limitation. They could ask about it, but doubtful. Only time they ever asked about mine was for a work visa. Just say you're there for "meetings" (never use word work) and it will likely never come up. It's not like when they scan your passport it flashes DUI.....

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    10 year limitation. They could ask about it, but doubtful. Only time they ever asked about mine was for a work visa. Just say you're there for "meetings" (never use word work) and it will likely never come up. It's not like when they scan your passport it flashes DUI.....

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Because of the post 9-11 stuff they have access to NCIC. And rumor is, they use it.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post

That's what I need. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Found this with the googles http://www.canadaduientrylaw.com
    I seem to ask google the wrong question as often as not

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    I went Heli skiing in Canada this year. One of guys there had a buddy that paid for the trip and they both flew in from LA. The buddy had a recent DUI. When going through immigration, they turned the buddy around and put him on the next flight back to LA. The "guy" got a free Heli week without said guy.

I also have a friend that did nothing, when flying into Canada a few years ago, that the canucks held him in the airport for hours with no apparent reason, which caused him to miss his next fight and miss a day a skiing. I suppose they just don't want our money.
    more that its a small percentage of people that get busted drinking and driving, so what little money the drunk driving segment of society has to offer canada in terms of tourist revenue isn't worth the hassle of dealing with the kind of people that think it's cool to drive drunk. when someone has already proven that they have no regard for the safety and well being of others, why would they expect to be welcomed with arms wide open just because they've got a little bit of money to spend?

so no, we don't want your money, we good.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I don't get Canada. Toronto is full of fuckers that come from countries like Kahdgkahgagistan who can't get into the USofA, yet if you have a blemish on your record and are a US citizen you can't get in?
    so in your opinion -anyone- from "Kahdgkahgagistan" ranks lower than a drunk from the states? either you really have a low opinion of people from Kahdgkahgagistan, or a rather inflated perception of how the rest of the world views americans.

i'll take the fucker from Kahdgkahgagistan please

Thats some verbage on the second link,

you criminals might wana read it

Not a Lawyer but I used to like watching Perry Mason, how I read it
    boils down to A matter of how different governments view a simple DUI

no telling how CBSA will view your INDICTABLE OFFENSE

better lawyer up and get rehabilitated eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It appears you got them. I'm sure some are fine upstanding citizens and some are drunks. Can you get a DUI riding a donkey in Kahdgkahgagistan and does it go on your record?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang