WTB: Older Four Wheel Camper- Fleet model

Looking for a simple, lightweight pop up truck camper for my 2000 Toyota Tundra access cab.

I'd really like something lightweight and low profile:
    FWC- late 80-early 90s Fleet model
    Lite- Craft
    Older Northstar
    Older Phoenix...

Budget capped at about 3k

I'm in Montrose, CO

I hunted in canada for 2 years, none avail that were not trashed or MUCH more then $3K.

hope you find one, but its a bit of a unicorn

Keep an eye on wander the west and expo portal

Couldn't agree more, I searched for 2 plus years for a good used one. Eventually went brand new, totally worth it! Get your deposit in now if you want it for the summer, the wait is 14+ weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I hunted in canada for 2 years, none avail that were not trashed or MUCH more then $3K.

hope you find one, but its a bit of a unicorn

I hunted CL for 2 years and picked up a mint 1978/9 grandby with a new liner and heater for $800 off a retired couple who got a different truck.

Scan CL. I totally retrofitted the interior before all the vanlife crap, and my shit is way better than theirs is now.

Just keep doing a daily search. Searchtempest will help.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

also worth looking at truck/camper combos, buy the combo, re-sell the truck.

Good luck. Per FWC's used camper fit guide, a newer (post-2002) Hawk should fit a 2000 Tundra.

Check out the lift panels. The old birch plywood ones tend to rot out. (The new synthetic lift panels are a big improvement.) The lift panels can be replaced, although it's a PITA, requires drilling out and reinstalling 100+ pop rivets. It was a full day project for me.

I bought my first FWC, a 2000 Hawk, in 2004 after a full year of searching, found it via Wander the West. It was located 1,000 from my house, worth the drive. Best $4500 I ever spent. We beat the shit out of it. I sold it to a dirtbag couple 10 years later, then bought a new Hawk.

Bump- Still looking... I missed a really nice Phoenix, but it was like, 13 hours away- typical... I've got about 4 weeks until I leave for my extended Idaho trip and would like to have one by then...

I've broadened my search to include Sun-lite campers. These actually sound pretty good. They're made in Idaho with a fir/pine wood construction covered with aluminum sheeting w/a fiberglass outer and weigh in at just under 1k for the "Skyhawk" model.

Here's an older Phoenix in N Idaho

https://spokane.craigslist.org/rvs/d...569616207.html

Bump- still looking... I drove 5 hours today to check out an older Phoenix on the front range. The guy told me it was in good shape and just needed to be cleaned up-pictures look decent, although no close ups.

I got there and took one look at it and was instantly pissed. The whole thing had water damage and was full of dry rot and mice crap. That mother f@cker-what the f@ck is wrong with people!!?

Lesson learned-yes, I chose to drive there, but the douche-bag pretty much misrepresented what he is trying to sell...

Search continues...

YMMV but i wouldn't even really fuck with the Front Range unless you've got a personal in.

The only thing bigger here than vanlife is tacos with FWC. And folks willing to spend 3k on garbage that will last 1/5th the time of something they'd get if they spent 6k.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 04-29-2018 at 09:31 AM.

You could follow "Used Four Wheel Campers" on the facebook. $3K is not going to get you far on a FWC though. You are probably looking at a rebuild. That Phoenix might have been a good candidate for full rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    You could follow "Used Four Wheel Campers" on the facebook. $3K is not going to get you far on a FWC though. You are probably looking at a rebuild. That Phoenix might have been a good candidate for full rebuild.
    Yeah, having a low budget makes it that much harder to find something that's functional. My last camper- a Hallmark Laveta, I got for $2,600. Everything on it worked and it just needed some deep cleaning, re-calking, sealing, new LEDs,...

I might have to up my budget to closer to 5k-maybe save up a few more bucks...

Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Thanks, but too heavy and too spendy for what it is. Maybe if I was a trustfunder living in J-hole, but then again, I'd have a brand new Four Wheel Camper if that was the case...

Found One!- not a FWC, but a nice Northstar TC 700. Camper is sound and just needs a bit of TLC to be ready for camper season- Stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    also worth looking at truck/camper combos, buy the combo, re-sell the truck.
    https://up.craigslist.org/cto/d/hd-s...577780719.html

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    Found One!- not a FWC, but a nice Northstar TC 700. Camper is sound and just needs a bit of TLC to be ready for camper season- Stoked!
    Nice dude! congrats. Now go camping.

I’ve got an old Fleet that is falling apart. Needs to be stripped to the frame and redone inside and out. Top and fabric are ok.

Who wants it? I’ll deliver
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.