Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    I had some pickled morels yesterday that were pretty damn tasty. Just an idea for the future

heading back up your way this weekend for a couple days on the south fork and some mtb shredding. We just can't get enough of the teton valley!! All reports sound like its game on! yellow sallies, PMDs, and still a good amount of golden stones around? planning on floating Spring creek to Byington, a repeat of what we did last time. We were to early for big bugs on that section but had good success fishing drakes on the lower braids. Any insight on fishing and timing??? As always thanks in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by jpcmoriarty View Post
    Any insight on fishing and timing???
    Yeah, for the South Fork in late July, focus on the riffles. Unfortunately, this is what everyone else is doing and there's never enough riffles to go around. If you wait until the pmd hatch is rolling, you'll probably find a guide boat camped on every decent riffle for miles; grab a good riffle early, have lunch and wait for it to start. Don't plan on hopping from riffle to riffle. Kinda sucks, but that's the way it is during the high season. If you want good riffle fishing without dozens of river pimps cunting up the game, come back in October for the tiny bwos.

The Teton is fishing great but it's a tough place to fish on a windy day. Seems like 3 out of 4 days this summer have been real windy so keep an eye on the wind forecasts. On Tuesday, it was calm and, thanks to the 90 degree day, the pmd hatch was going strong by 9am. The water was covered with all stages of pmds and the fish were pigging out all day long. FYI, the S. Bates > Cache sections are overrun with play boaters between lunch and dinnertime.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 07-25-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Yeah, for the South Fork in late July, focus on the riffles. Unfortunately, this is what everyone else is doing and there's never enough riffles to go around. If you wait until the pmd hatch is rolling, you'll probably find a guide boat camped on every decent riffle for miles; grab a good riffle early, have lunch and wait for it to start. Don't plan on hopping from riffle to riffle. Kinda sucks, but that's the way it is during the high season. If you want good riffle fishing without dozens of river pimps...
    Thing that kills me now are the drift boat motors on guide boats. I’m waiting for jet skis to become the mode of choice to bomb around find an open riffle to post up on. Going to start having to launch early and cook bacon a la lift line pow days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3070.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	275.8 KB 
ID:	289370

Quote Originally Posted by skivan View Post
    Thing that kills me now are the drift boat motors on guide boats. I’m waiting for jet skis to become the mode of choice to bomb around find an open riffle to post up on. Going to start having to launch early and cook bacon a la lift line pow days.
    You don't have a motor on your DB? Dude get with the times.

I've seen people fishing off of jet skis on the SF. It was a few years ago and haven't seen any since but then again I don't fish the SF as much as I use to for the reasons ND mentioned. Lots of other less crowded options out there.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by skivan View Post
    Thing that kills me now are the drift boat motors on guide boats. I’m waiting for jet skis to become the mode of choice to bomb around find an open riffle to post up on.
    I don't know that it's really changed things that much. There's just too many boats, with or without a motor, and it has been that way for years. There has always been a large contingent of jet boaters on the SF during the summer months. It's been stupid crowded down there for about 15 years and riffle fishing compounds it. It makes a big river feel real small. There's only a few riffles per mile and everybody wants one. Move just a little bit below the riffle and a boat will high hole you. Get used to it. Summertime riffle fishing on the SF hit the point of diminishing returns a long time ago.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 07-25-2019 at 01:29 PM.

ND et all,
    thanks for the beta. We were thinking about putting on mid afternoon Saturday, finding a camp spot mid way though the canyon, then back on early Sunday. Getting off in time for a big bike ride Sunday afternoon. I'm glad you guys chimed in to set expectations, and all this crowdedness talk makes me nervous about finding a spot to camp. There does seem to be a lot of room at some of the bigger spots lower down.
    You think its still worth hammering the banks with a golden/dropper rig or just focussing on riffles and faster sections with various PMD stages??. Are those hatches typically an afternoon thing on the south fork? I think we could be in a good position to set up on a riffle section early before the motor guys make it up, but convincing wifey to sit anchored for multiple hours waiting on bugs is a hard sell.
    floating the Teton sounds like a good alternative or additional option. any overnight possibilities there? Wind forecast looks manageable and Getting out for short float monday morning before driving home could be sweet, especially if it goes off early. any recommendations for a easy 2-4 hr section? thanks again!!

You think its still worth hammering the banks with a golden/dropper rig or just focussing on riffles and faster sections with various PMD stages??. Are those hatches typically an afternoon thing on the south fork?

Floating the Teton sounds like a good alternative or additional option. any overnight possibilities there? Getting out for short float monday morning before driving home could be sweet, especially if it goes off early. any recommendations for a easy 2-4 hr section? thanks again!!
    Well, you should plan to fish banks because you ain't going to get on every riffle!

On the SF, the pmd hatch usually begins late morning to lunchtime, depending on how hot it is. The Teton's water is warmer so pmds tend to start mid-morning to late morning. Both rivers can have a pmd spinner fall early in the morning though, so the fish may already be feeding hard before the new hatch of duns shows up. There is usually a spinner fall in the early evening as well. Generally, look to fish emergers and duns in the riffle and its seam. Fish spinners in the slower water below the riffles, in foam lines and along off-current banks. There's usually a fair amount of caddis around in the evenings, as well.

The only public camping option on the Teton in the basin is at the Rainey put-in. You'll be sharing it with RVs. The Cache > Harrops section is 6 miles long but all other sections are only 3 to 4 miles between ramps.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 07-25-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Well, you should plan to fish banks because you ain't going to get on every riffle!

On the SF, the pmd hatch usually begins late morning to lunchtime, depending on how hot it is. The Teton is warmer so pmds tend to start mid-morning to late morning. Both rivers can have a pmd spinner fall early in the morning though, so the fish may already be feeding hard before the new hatch of duns shows up. There is usually a spinner fall in the early evening as well. Generally, look to fish emergers and duns in the riffle and its seam. Fish spinners in the slower water below the riffles and along off-current banks. There's usually a fair amount of caddis around in the evenings, as well.

The only public camping option on the Teton in the basin is at the Rainey put-in. You'll be sharing it with RVs. The Cache > Harrops section is 6 miles long but all other sections are only 3 to 4 miles between ramps.

Thanks man!

Thanks man!
    FYI: Spring Creek > Byington is 28 miles.

Putting on mid-afternoon Saturday, floating into the canyon, finding a camp, setting up camp, breaking camp, floating to Byington, taking out and putting away gear, then driving the 50 miles back up to the Valley - that doesn't leave much time at all for fishing, especially riffle fishing since you aren't moving while you do that. I very much doubt you will make it back to the Valley in time to do any riding. If you can't put on earlier, you should probably choose between the overnighter and riding.

Bumpers

Got the itch to dust off my Idaho permit
    Wasnt too hard to talk BobMc and my kid into an early morning sunday departure from Zion to float SFork.

Anyone down to skip church and float with us? I wont tell your bishop if you dont tell mine. We will be safe on that big river!

What's a good float for a day? Palisades to conent? Hopper dropper with a rubber leg?
    Beta is muy bueno

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TheFugitive; 08-29-2019 at 11:17 PM.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

I could be up for that. Holla and tell me the plan. Youse guys are welcome to crash at my place too. Be good to see you three.

Schwerty, you around?

Wydaho Circle jerk

I’d love to join you guys but I’m heading over to the Henry’s fork with the fam to camp and fish for the wknd. Bummed! Wetting a line with you guys would be a blast. Raincheck.

Dam to conant would work for a bigger day,(depending on stops). You can make it shorter and take out at spring creek bridge or put in at husky.

Just off the horn with a guide buddy and client of mine. He said pmds are still kicking around most days in the middle of the day. Largely a terrestrial game. Hoppers, foam, ants, beetles, attractors...etc. Nymphing has been really good in deeper water. Standard shit for that river. Rubber legs variations, bitch creeks and smaller attractor patterns specifically red. But shit, it could be purple in a few days. Who knows?
    Streamers have been doing alright. Apparently, smaller to mid size stuff has been outperforming big junk. I’d throw a tandem rig with both flavors.

If you guys feel like zipping over to the Henry’s, I will be at the Warm river CG tonight through Sunday afternoon. Will have my boat for kid floating entertainment. I’ll probably be walking streams in the morning and evening. You guys are welcome to drop by and join me or just have a safety mtg concerning the river. Lots of kids btwn 7-15. Group site. We will probably be the only people in the group site with a tent and drift boat if you stroll over that way.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I could be up for that. Holla and tell me the plan. Youse guys are welcome to crash at my place too. Be good to see you three.

Schwerty, you around?
    Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I’d love to join you guys but I’m heading over to the Henry’s fork with the fam to camp and fish for the wknd. Bummed! Wetting a line with you guys would be a blast. Raincheck.

Dam to conant would work for a bigger day,(depending on stops). You can make it shorter and take out at spring creek bridge or put in at husky.

Just off the horn with a guide buddy and client of mine. He said pmds are still kicking around most days in the middle of the day. Largely a terrestrial game. Hoppers, foam, ants, beetles, attractors...etc. Nymphing has been really good in deeper water. Standard shit for that river. Rubber legs variations, bitch creeks and smaller attractor patterns specifically red. But shit, it could be purple in a few days. Who knows?
    Streamers have been doing alright. Apparently, smaller to mid size stuff has been outperforming big junk. I’d throw a tandem rig with both flavors.

If you guys feel like zipping over to the Henry’s, I will be at the Warm river CG tonight through Sunday afternoon. Will have my boat for kid floating entertainment. I’ll probably be walking streams in the morning and evening. You guys are welcome to drop by and join me or just have a safety mtg concerning the river. Lots of kids btwn 7-15. Group site. We will probably be the only people in the group site with a tent and drift boat if you stroll over that way.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Yeah boys!

Welp things being as they are with last minute plans we are pushing. I brain farted Sfb using the raft for Lodore we are rigging it up for him today. The rad guy he is offered up the hog for us to use but bob and I's risk tolerance in someone else's boat on new water is pretty low. Were gonna bag it and hit the Webers and Provos

DJ thanks for the offer! If we stay there we are floating the teton snakes and maybe a SF on the way out. I have a 4 day weekend Sept 20-24. Maybe if SFB has gumption after Lodore or if Bob or my kid cant make it you can have to open spot in my raft

Any recommended campsites for the SF?
    Bunny Don't Surf

^^ if you guys do the South Fork on that weekend, let me know. I had a great time down there with Telee. No worries if there is no room in a boat for me, if that happens I am perfectly content to hang out in camp and do bong hits all day with Djongo.

If sfb comes, make sure he brings Mr. Coffee. Essential gear.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

watched some hecuba spinners frantically flying around tryna plow yesterday evening. beautiful sight. didn't see any spent bugs on the surface, but fish smashed a #12 parachute all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    ^^ if you guys do the South Fork on that weekend, let me know. I had a great time down there with Telee. No worries if there is no room in a boat for me, if that happens I am perfectly content to hang out in camp and do bong hits all day with Djongo.

If sfb comes, make sure he brings Mr. Coffee. Essential gear.

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    watched some hecuba spinners frantically flying around tryna plow yesterday evening. beautiful sight. didn't see any spent bugs on the surface, but fish smashed a #12 parachute all the same.
    Still looking at Friday Sat Sunday 20-23. Will book a campsite this week. It'll probably get super cold lol but IDGAF! Come one come all!
    Bunny Don't Surf

^^^ I have to work Saturday so will arrive about 6 or 7 pm Saturday night depending on where the campsite is. Save me room for my small tent. Looking forward to meeting The Fugitive !

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Still looking at Friday Sat Sunday 20-23. Will book a campsite this week. It'll probably get super cold lol but IDGAF! Come one come all!
    There is an outside chance that I may be swinging through on Saturday on my way to points North, let me know where you land, I may swing by for a cocktail and some lies
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Sorry, I never met up with y'alls thus summer. Dealing with some life shit, hopefully next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    There is an outside chance that I may be swinging through on Saturday on my way to points North, let me know where you land, I may swing by for a cocktail and some lies
    Awwww hell. Working on getting Captn Greels to go. The property values will plummet and they may run out of Whiskey!

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Sorry, I never met up with y'alls thus summer. Dealing with some life shit, hopefully next time around.
    No worries SnapT the river will be there. And some of us fuckos will be there on the weekend after next if life eases up a bit.
    Last edited by TheFugitive; 09-09-2019 at 06:08 PM.
    Bunny Don't Surf

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    jus so ya knows i pioed the raft in hells 1/2 acre aint no dry box or front lean bar no more
    if ya make another payment i could replace em
    but otherwise 89 miles and 9 days of river bummery have exhausted my float related fundages
    there is a spare tire for the trailer and we did gain a rear roller bar
    and the new floor looked fine suk side up
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    jus so ya knows i pioed the raft in hells 1/2 acre aint no dry box or front lean bar no more
    if ya make another payment i could replace em
    but otherwise 89 miles and 9 days of river bummery have exhausted my float related fundages
    there is a spare tire for the trailer and we did gain a rear roller bar
    and the new floor looked fine suk side up
    Awwwww fuck!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Awwwww fuck!
    I may possibly have a boat sitting around next weekend in Swan Valley if you need one. Let me know and I will see what I can do.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Wydaho Circle jerk

^^ Telee... Are you going to be there ? I figured after the Smith you would be headed to CO ? It would be fun to fish with you again.