Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    FKNA fellas, nicely done. You could tell early it would be a beaut of a day. Glad it was good for youse guys. Next time for me too.

Fugi - No kitty yet, debating my criteria still but almost ready. Lost the ole gal in March. Prolly gonna help an older cat with a sweet retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Good day on the water boys! Cant wait to do it again. Sorry the fishing was slow, I should have checked the flows, but the weather was awesome, the beer was cold and the company was awesome
    Good time indeed, thanks for floating us!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Well done gents. Is your property in Swan Valley Teleee? That ramp looks like one my buddy purchased some property near 18 months ago. Not a public launch.

Found a couple more pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1560390973.718870.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	830.9 KB 
ID:	285664

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1560390994.704895.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	826.3 KB 
ID:	285665

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1560391017.142657.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	544.9 KB 
ID:	285666

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1560391045.280173.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	513.7 KB 
ID:	285667

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1560391079.268302.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	680.2 KB 
ID:	285668

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1560391123.439241.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	285669
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Pic of the Henry's Fork on the drive home. We need to hit this.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1560391482.656584.jpg 
Size:	702.4 KB 
ID:	285670

Edit to add: fuck this one-day fishing licence bullshit. I can tell I will end up buying an annual license...

More shit to add: I see Idaho offers a 3-year non-resident license.
    #commitment

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    Well done gents. Is your property in Swan Valley Teleee? That ramp looks like one my buddy purchased some property near 18 months ago. Not a public launch.
    Yea I am Swan Valley, defintiely not on a private ramp. I am not one of the valleys high rollers by any means.

Harry, glad someone took some pictures, I was way to lazy to take any. The Hank is for sure on the list to get out and fish this summer.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

^ Your spot sounds perfect! Not sure how the guy I know worked it with the ramp owner. Sounds like he charges them an annual fee for the gate key for those who live near by. Def not high roller status.

_[

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Pic of the Henry's Fork on the drive home. We need to hit this.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1560391482.656584.jpg 
Size:	702.4 KB 
ID:	285670
    I sat in that line for over 30 minutes last week; probably be a hour wait once the July 4th traffic starts up. NOTE TO ANY MAGS HEADING TO ISLAND PARK: The Big Hill construction on hwy20 is a goat fuck. North bound trucks and RVs have to climb four miles in low gear creating looooooong waits for north bound traffic to get up the single lane pilot car section. It is faster and far less exasperating to drive the extra 12 miles up scenic hwy 47 past Mesa Falls. If you are driving up from the Valley, use the Lamont cutoff and go straight up to Warm River, you'll save a lot of frustration.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-13-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    ^ Your spot sounds perfect! Not sure how the guy I know worked it with the ramp owner. Sounds like he charges them an annual fee for the gate key for those who live near by. Def not high roller status.
    A private ramp certainly wouldn't suck! It is the perfect spot for us, small and surrounded by great fishing! It is pretty awesome to drive across the road to drop the boat in the water. Harry was exaggerating when he said 100 yards, but not by much.
    Thanks for the heads up on the Ashton hill I will be avoiding that like the plague.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    I sat in that line for over 30 minutes last week; probably be a hour wait once the July 4th traffic starts up. NOTE TO ANY MAGS HEADING TO ISLAND PARK: The Big Hill construction on hwy20 is a goat fuck. North bound trucks and RVs have to climb four miles in low gear creating looooooong waits for north bound traffic to get up the single lane pilot car section. It is faster and far less exasperating to drive the extra 12 miles up scenic hwy 47 past Mesa Falls. If you are driving up from the Valley, use the Lamont cutoff and go straight up to Warm River, you'll save a lot of frustration.
    Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the Ashton hill I will be avoiding that like the plague.
    Yeah, was at a dead stop on that bridge on my way north for a good 20-25 minutes when I took that pic. About the same delay earlier on my way south. If I had known about that way around I would have taken it.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    whats goin on
    count me in for sums

may not be till july though
    and
    feel free to join me and beats the fuck outta me as to who else will show up this year aside from host lando and louie
    and jerk it luau style 1st week of aug at buff bills state park cody for a suk style bake n floats
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Sounds good, get on up here SFB! We are here until mid - August. You never know I just may join you in my homeland a day 2. It would be fun to get out and fish the waters of my youth!
    I am gone for the next 2 weeks ( I have somethings to settle with the silver kings), bt then we will be here until we go back to Colorado mid August

Name:	20190618_181746 (2).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	286247

anyone with much experience on the firehole? I'm wondering if the caddis and PMD still hatch there when it's a high of 49 degrees and overcast. thermal heating could help and maybe some bwo's would come out of hiding.

have fished it a little bit on warmer sunnier days in june. would be a long drive just to swing nymphs for small fish with elderly fishermen lowholing you and highholing you, but its surprisingly fun when there's a hatch on.

wow, that's quite a haul of morels. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    wow, that's quite a haul of morels. Well done.
    Thanks. But, that's nothin'. Just 1.25 gallons. For me, an average day of burn picking is a full 5 gallon bucket. Less and I feel like it's sort of a failed trip.

The weather just won't cooperate this year. Today is the first day of summer, or so I hear. It snowed last night. Now, it's 45 degrees at high noon. For fishing or morel picking, this "summer" sucks so far. The cold is squashing hatches and shrooms. If this was a normal summer, I would have picked over 50 gallons by now.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-21-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    anyone with much experience on the firehole? I'm wondering if the caddis and PMD still hatch there when it's a high of 49 degrees and overcast. thermal heating could help and maybe some bwo's would come out of hiding.

have fished it a little bit on warmer sunnier days in june. would be a long drive just to swing nymphs for small fish with elderly fishermen lowholing you and highholing you, but its surprisingly fun when there's a hatch on.
    Heard the yellow sallies were all over there Saturday , but that was a sunny day...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Wydaho Circle jerk

I find the Firehole tough to figure out, although I am admittedly a Jong about bugs. I think the thermal features heating the water has a huge effect. Having said that, I know people who have it dialed and do really well.

To me, the Gibbons is way easier. I always catch fish when I am on the Gibbons. I park at Madison Junction and walk upstream using large weighted nymphs.

I find the Firehole tough to figure out, although I am admittedly a Jong about bugs. I think the thermal features heating the water has a huge effect. Having said that, I know people who have it dialed and do really well.

To me, the Gibbons is way easier. I always catch fish when I am on the Gibbons. I park at Madison Junction and walk upstream using large weighted nymphs.

sorry if no one gives a shit about a firehole trip report bc I didn't care before today, but hitting 50s by 10:00 and staying there all day and partly sunny is apparently the ticket for a solid all-day caddis hatch on the firehole. Fish going nuts as far as the eye could see, and i guess I see why that river is world famous. The fish are all small and they're just selective enough to keep it interesting without being dickheads about it. or maybe they were dickheads and I just have too much of my net worth tied up in various caddis patterns. After nailing some decent firehole fish with easy casts and drifts, it was fun to move on to trying to cast to the farthest fish I could reach and to somehow try to keep a good drift going. Good practice for fishing some better spring creeks or small streams with bigger meaner pickier fish later in the year, and perhaps the key to keeping the firehole interesting for more than a couple of hours.

Not sure how Saturday would have been bc I doubt it got above 40 degrees for long and I too know little about bugs. Handful of yellow sallies in the air today and no PMDs but pmd/sally nymphs are in the water waiting for higher temps again. I went in early June when it was 70 and sunny to find sporadic hatches and a lot of good runs and pools drowned by clear but fast water. Still fish in the right spots then. Now all those drowned out runs are perfect and the fish are rising everywhere. Water was quite warm and it was interesting to come across a steaming hot spring and find rainbows above it but only browns below.

Harry, everyone says “swing soft hackles on firehole” and maybe you have, but you should try it sometime if you haven’t. You can feel this little 8-12 inch fish just assassinate your fly on the tight line. you can find fish in knee deep riffles where you wouldn't think to cast a dry. All in all, the hank or south fork in a boat is far preferable, but damn, the firehole is fun and the perfect river for june.

PMD or Yellow Sally Nymph?

Name:	IMG_4683.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	429.9 KB 
ID:	286586

...whatever it is, the fish bum rushed this prince nymph variation before they started rising to caddis Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5462.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	441.6 KB 
ID:	286587

this obvious and well-known section was packed with 5 cars in the AM but deserted in the afternoon. hiking a bit into the woods yielded solitude. lots of people anywhere the river was literally next to the road. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	286588

in conclusion, the firehole may be underwhelming to those who've been there/done that and mecca to a certain type of 65yo heartland american male, but it provided solid entertainment for this jong today.

hopefully back to this next weekend: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1101.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	286589

Heading up your way this week, hanging with friends in Victor, riding bikes ect. Thinking about bringing the boat for a overnight on the south fork Saturday/Sunday. Was looking at doing Conant to Byington section. How’s the fishing? Big bugs on that stretch yet? Recommendations for campsite/ shuttle service?
    As always thanks for the beta!!

Great you scored that boat. Its worth doing the canyon as an overnight. Bring firepan/groover, and Julie’s for shuttle. There are great camps and I like to get down lower in canyon so the second day isn’t as rushed. There are maps at the put ins. Eat and harvest rainbows! Likely rubberlegs still but have foam on hand, and consider floating lower down in the river if reports and weather align for big bugs on top.

..... Firehole....
    Lester, you still around ? I will be fishing in The Park tomorrow, want to meet up ? You can show me your dry fly juju on the Firehole, and I can show you my nymphing mojo on the Gibbons. Meet at Madison Junction ?

Lester, you still around ? I will be fishing in The Park tomorrow, want to meet up ? You can show me your dry fly juju on the Firehole, and I can show you my nymphing mojo on the Gibbons. Meet at Madison Junction ?
    a bit late to reply, but I'm down in Jackson and working. let me know how it went!

Name:	20190627_202305 (2).jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	893.6 KB 
ID:	287254

Name:	20190630_103944 (2).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	997.7 KB 
ID:	287255

appx. 20 lbs dehydrated down to around 2 lbs for long term storage, 5lbs cooked confit in the freezer and another 5lbs got eaten fresh. All in all, a real shitty, dangerous and unpleasant burn to pick. I'd be amazed if the BTNF sold a single commercial permit and even more amazed if anyone who spent $300 picked enough to justify the cost. I'm an expert at this and I had to grind my ass off to get to my three gallon limits. 10 straight days of high winds sucked the life out of that place. I was the last man standing yesterday. Everyone else had tucked tail and gone home in defeat. I'm feeling a bit humbled too.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-30-2019 at 11:34 AM.