Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    Railroad Ranch one week out. From what I understand in reading all the books is that bumper boats are full tilt this time of year. The current plan is to leave the skiff in the narth. Walk and wade is totally fine with my old man and I. All mags are welcome to join but just a reminder, we fucking suck at fishing. Any suggestions, wisdom, must bring along, do and do not in and around IP or any other insight are greatly appreciated.
    Don't know what books you're reading but there is never bumper boats on the ranch ever. The crowds are gone. We're hitting the dog days of summer. All the major hatches are done. You'll still get some pmds, maybe some flavs beetles and ants. It's the early morning and late afternoon game. All that doesn't matter anyway because if you really suck at fishing you won't catch anything there anyway. You should bring your skiff and just float and nymph box canyon. The Madison is in striking distance from IP so there's that. Fuck Ponds spend your money at the Trouthunter.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdhunter View Post
    Fuck Ponds spend your money at the Trouthunter.
    This.

Railroad Ranch one week out. From what I understand in reading all the books is that bumper boats are full tilt this time of year. The current plan is to leave the skiff in the narth. Walk and wade is totally fine with my old man and I. All mags are welcome to join but just a reminder, we fucking suck at fishing. Any suggestions, wisdom, must bring along, do and do not in and around IP or any other insight are greatly appreciated.
    If you go to the Trouthunter website and read their blog, you'll find some long posts from Rene and one of his senior guides about how the fishing in the Railroad Ranch section is the lamest its been in about 20 years. They put the blame on too much sediment coming out of IP reservoir and too many anglers pressuring a declining fishery. Fish mortality due to the increasingly common use of streamers with large hooks was another concern. Their conclusion is that there aren't good numbers of large fish on the Ranch anymore. The population is now dominated by smaller fish. The large fish remaining tend to concentrate in a handful of relatively deeper spots and they have anglers posted up on them all day long. Which is totally lame. That is a startlingly honest assessment from a lodge for whom the RR is their daily bread and butter.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 07-24-2018 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    the Railroad Ranch section is the lamest its been in about 20 years. They put the blame on too much sediment coming out of IP reservoir and too many anglers pressuring a declining fishery.
    I fish it on average once each summer and this is what I found as well. It probably needs to go on a regular flushing cycle out of the dam to get good gravel back.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Just a thought about bringing that skiff, moose, but you might want to call around the local shops and see what is happening on Hebgen. When its on (and the wind is cooperating), the callibaetis gulper fishing at Hebgen is way better than dicking around on the Ranch chasing picky fish that have seen 1000 lines. Call Galloups place and get the Hebgen report.

Clearly I have come to the right place. I have so much to learn and all options are on the table. Trouthunters will be stop number 1. The ranch is where we are staying so we can travel to Hebgen and the Madison very easily. I am not delusional about my abilities so I am very open to all pieces of advice. I hear what you all are saying about bringing the skiff, the only issue is that from Harriman we head to Hailey/Ketchum for 4 days. I will look around to see if renting a yacht for the day while in the IP area might be a better option then towing the HeadhunterII all over Wydaho. I greatly appreciate all of the knowledge being shared!

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Just a thought about bringing that skiff, moose, but you might want to call around the local shops and see what is happening on Hebgen. When its on (and the wind is cooperating), the callibaetis gulper fishing at Hebgen is way better than dicking around on the Ranch chasing picky fish that have seen 1000 lines. Call Galloups place and get the Hebgen report.
    Hey! That's not wydaho you dicks. I still think he should go to ponds but I guess if you're near hebgen the happy hour will do.....

Drinking with Rich at the TroutHunter bar after hours is worth it alone.

Pretty much what Necky said. I had a feeling late last summer when IP reservoir was drawn down to 3% and the HF was flowing turpid water that bad things were to come. Luckily we got a bunch of fall rain and it filled nicely and winter flows were good. I've haven't missed a Ranchy opener in 22 years. I thought last year sucked until this years opener sucked even worse. I thought something was up when the water above the Ranchy always fishes good in Marchy, April and May with good midgies, Baety and March Browny hatches and this year it didn't. All I kept hearing is the water needs to warm a bit and it will explode. Well it warmed and it didn't explode. I probably have 10 to 15 days on the Ranchy this year and this year is the worst year I've ever had there. The Green Drakey hatch was pitiful, the seagulls really didn't even show up for that. Another thing I noticed is the weedy beddys came into play a lot sooner this year. Even if you hooked a fish on 6 or 7X chances are you wouldn't land it. Although I did see the biggest fish and ever heard of being caught on the Ranchy this year I wouldn't waste any time there. I know guys who usually fish the Ranchy every day from the opener until October that have moved on to better things. The Browny Drakey hatch was decent but that's not surprising cus they like it siltty.

Moosey, Just spent the last 4 days camping on Hebgy. It's just getting going. Calibaetys have been coming off around 930 - 10ishy. They're also eating caddis. Experiment, you'll be surprised at the dries they'll eat. If the wind stays down which it has been lately fish were up till around 1:00 1:30ishy. Than again in the evening. Stay on the water until dark 30. Caught some nice brownys right at dark on big and uglies. We made one evening session on Quakie that was pretty good so that's an option too. The only place I think I know that rents boatys is clear the hell down in Ashton. Maybe someone else knows of some place in IP or West. BTW, are you staying in the yurts at Harrimen? Those are pretty cool.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    From my cold dead hands.

Pretty much what Necky said. I had a feeling late last summer when IP reservoir was drawn down to 3% and the HF was flowing turpid water that bad things were to come. Luckily we got a bunch of fall rain and it filled nicely and winter flows were good. I've haven't missed a Ranchy opener in 22 years. I thought last year sucked until this years opener sucked even worse. I thought something was up when the water above the Ranchy always fishes good in Marchy, April and May with good midgies, Baety and March Browny hatches and this year it didn't. All I kept hearing is the water needs to warm a bit and it will explode. Well it warmed and it didn't explode. I probably have 10 to 15 days on the Ranchy this year and this year is the worst year I've ever had there. The Green Drakey hatch was pitiful, the seagulls really didn't even show up for that. Another thing I noticed is the weedy beddys came into play a lot sooner this year. Even if you hooked a fish on 6 or 7X chances are you wouldn't land it. Although I did see the biggest fish and ever heard of being caught on the Ranchy this year I wouldn't waste any time there. I know guys who usually fish the Ranchy every day from the opener until October that have moved on to better things. The Browny Drakey hatch was decent but that's not surprising cus they like it siltty.

Moosey, Just spent the last 4 days camping on Hebgy. It's just getting going. Calibaetys have been coming off around 930 - 10ishy. They're also eating caddis. Experiment, you'll be surprised at the dries they'll eat. If the wind stays down which it has been lately fish were up till around 1:00 1:30ishy. Than again in the evening. Stay on the water until dark 30. Caught some nice brownys right at dark on big and uglies. We made one evening session on Quakie that was pretty good so that's an option too. The only place I think I know that rents boatys is clear the hell down in Ashton. Maybe someone else knows of some place in IP or West. BTW, are you staying in the yurts at Harrimen? Those are pretty cool.
    This post was pretty much un-readabley...
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i understood it all and i aints been there in a good 6 years
    although i still confuse the silly flat bowed drifty's ya call skiffs
    with the flats boats
    one of these years im gonna not ski or fish bum enough to gets my skiffs on
    https://www.hogislandboatworks.com/p...specifications
    oh and keepin with the jerkin circles
    codys way cooler
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

That's because you're a dumb fucking cunt like your idol roosy.

You're a front rangey faggot, why are you even looking at the wydaho circle jerk thread?

Do you have any beta to add? Didn't think so.

Now run along and go take some more of those roddy in mouthy photos.
    Haha. You are the dumbass that added a Y to everything trying to be cool or funny. Man, I would love to punch you in the face some day.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Haha. You are the dumbass that added a Y to everything trying to be cool or funny. Man, I would love to punch you in the face some day.
    Trying to be cool or funny, no. Just mocking your idol roosy. Try to keep up dumbfuck.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    From my cold dead hands.

SFB - Yo bruddah, when ya comin'up? Still going up to Harry's next month? Why not swing by, hang and fish fer a day? Maybe wrangle some of the local fisher folks to have a shindig at the hut.

Green light's always on for ya! - and the pupper...

I thought it was funny.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ranch may suck but the stretch after the meadow to Riverside has always produced when I've fished it.

Agreed with box canyon sentiment....if you want to catch fish on a limited time allotment, it's pretty sure fire.

Just fished the Madison last week.... It was so so. Not worth the drive IMHO.

Trip completed. MANY thanks to all of you whom contributed to its success. We stayed in one of the rental cabins with a view that allowed for safe keeping of my old man while wading and stupid easy access at trying to sucker a fish. Dragging the boat over would have been the right call if it was an out and back trip. No room for the yacht on the Big Wood and Silver Creek after departing Island Park. Joe at TroutHunter was super helpful and graciously hooked up the kids with stickers and goodies while I absorbed all that he was throwing at me. Young Meeks at Lost River in 5B was the man. Busted out the map and sent us on a mission. That shop is open till 10pm too which is critical when major life decisions are made at the last minute. No world records set, just a father and his son getting to fish together. A husband and wife escaping their children to dip a line and feast on local fare all while sharing smiles and debauchery along the way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1524.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	688.3 KB 
ID:	243427
    Morning views.

Name:	IMG_1575.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	562.9 KB 
ID:	243428
    Pelicans vs Dad.

Name:	IMG_1587.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	243429
    Ranch Rainbow out of water... Flame suit on...3.2.1 GO

Name:	IMG_1660.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	243431
    After working my way through Arco and past Blizzard Mtn I hit up Silver Creek.

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	243430
    Stepped out of the water and was immediately greeted by mom. Looking down on me she backed up and made plenty of noise to let me know how happy she was that I was there. I almost shit myself when she moved as I had no clue she was there. As I backed up slowly and away these two watched me the whole time.

Name:	IMG_1665.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	243432
    Big Wood with the ol' lady and friends delivered fun times that must be repeated soon.

Name:	IMG_1553.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	243433
    Ranch housemates. Killed 3 in the night. Apparently the Railroad Ranch is a no kill zone... "next time use your fishing net to get them out safely." You tell that to my wife buddy.

Looks like a win win, homie.

Cool trip and pics, but you are definitely lame to kill the bats. Lame on many levels, but that fat bat is full of mosquitos.

Buy a few bat houses to make up for your stupidity:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Coveside-Co...8aArzDEALw_wcB

I'd love to tell your wife about the benefits of a healthy bat population.
    Last edited by plugboots; 08-06-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Yeah, killin bats, what the fuck man?

He lives in N. Idaho, see this thread for further explanation: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...o-Sandpoint-ID

Well fuck... Had I known you were heading to 5B, I would have taken you out for a day. Lost River is a great shop.

Trip completed. MANY thanks to all of you whom contributed to its success. We stayed in one of the rental cabins with a view that allowed for safe keeping of my old man while wading and stupid easy access at trying to sucker a fish. Dragging the boat over would have been the right call if it was an out and back trip. No room for the yacht on the Big Wood and Silver Creek after departing Island Park. Joe at TroutHunter was super helpful and graciously hooked up the kids with stickers and goodies while I absorbed all that he was throwing at me. Young Meeks at Lost River in 5B was the man. Busted out the map and sent us on a mission. That shop is open till 10pm too which is critical when major life decisions are made at the last minute. No world records set, just a father and his son getting to fish together. A husband and wife escaping their children to dip a line and feast on local fare all while sharing smiles and debauchery along the way.

Name:	IMG_1524.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	688.3 KB 
ID:	243427
    Morning views.

Name:	IMG_1575.jpg 
Size:	562.9 KB 
ID:	243428
    Pelicans vs Dad.

Name:	IMG_1587.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	243429
    Ranch Rainbow out of water... Flame suit on...3.2.1 GO

Name:	IMG_1660.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	243431
    After working my way through Arco and past Blizzard Mtn I hit up Silver Creek.

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	243430
    Stepped out of the water and was immediately greeted by mom. Looking down on me she backed up and made plenty of noise to let me know how happy she was that I was there. I almost shit myself when she moved as I had no clue she was there. As I backed up slowly and away these two watched me the whole time.

Name:	IMG_1665.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	243432
    Big Wood with the ol' lady and friends delivered fun times that must be repeated soon.

Name:	IMG_1553.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	243433
    Ranch housemates. Killed 3 in the night. Apparently the Railroad Ranch is a no kill zone... "next time use your fishing net to get them out safely." You tell that to my wife buddy.
    oh shit, I'm getting dizzy...

The trick to getting bats out of the house is to open the door and then go to the opposite side of the room from the door. Use a broom or a fishing net , whatever, make yourself bigger and then slowly try to herd to bat to the door by making your "sonic profile" as large as you can. The bat is pinging and it can find the door. If you are flopping around in the middle of the room swinging shit at the bat then it just gets confused and panicked and it can't find the door.

Looks like a Wyoming circle jerk is commencing this weekend. Gonna be a few of us at the Fonts this weekend, anyone invited that would like to come. (Even Birdhunter)

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Even Birdhunter)
    You two would probably get along well. I heard he’s a huge bait dunker.

Dibs witnessed me murder a bat with a cowboy hat one time. Fairly certain it was rapid, so you’re all very welcome.