Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I just wanted to go inside and warm up and my mom and sister were insisting on an extensive barrage of portraits.

No hood ? I got 6 ice suits to work on at the shop, they zip up the front from belly button to neck they got hoods and they are red so faster eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Your chance of dying on a given US commercial flight is roughly 1 in 25 MILLION. Your chance of getting struck by lighting over the course of a year is 1 in 1 Million. Chances that a US skier (including inbounds skiers) will die in an avalanche this year is 2.5 in 1 Million. Your chance of dying in a car crash this year 1 in 10,000.

On the way home from Rogers pass one year so I told buddy I was gona text the gf to tell her we are out of aviy danger

he said "dude we are statistically way more likely to die driving home !"
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Gonna rant a little here.

Who the fuck cares that the Captain was a female?

When will this gender metric no longer matter, no longer be of note? I've been raised with the belief that we're all equal in ability...

Meanwhile I've watched the USAF PA parade 'all-female flight crews!' like it's something of note, for years. At some point, simply being there and doing your job isn't an accomplishment. Especially if you really are equal like has been screamed for how long now?

It isn't the Captain pumping this up, of course, it's most everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Her plane rapidly decompressed as it lost an engine which may also have been on fire, chunks of aircraft, unknown additional damage... so she had to get control of the aircraft and get her oxygen mask on before she passed out, start her descent, etc. Time of useful consciousness is less than minute at that altitude without the mask.
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    whereas on the fire-ground the obstacle is being able to actually breathe.
    Hmmm......

Why wouldn’t regular maintenance pick up a flaw or wear like this? This definitely freaks the shit out of me.

Materials defect not visible to the naked eye? Who knows at this point.

Molly fucked up...big time.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Why wouldn’t regular maintenance pick up a flaw or wear like this? This definitely freaks the shit out of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Materials defect not visible to the naked eye? Who knows at this point.
    ^^^ yep, much to early to tell, but something like impending fatigue failure would not necessarily be visible to the naked eye. Radiography would pick it up. I don't know what the procedures are for inspecting aircraft engines.

https://www.usatoday.com/story

https://en.wikipedia.org Ultrasonic_testing

Southwest has begun ultrasound inspections of its entire fleet of 737 aircraft. United Airlines executives said Wednesday they will inspect 698 engines in their fleet similar to the accident engine.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    When will this gender metric no longer matter, no longer be of note?
    Your screen name is Jumper Bones. I assume Jumphis Bones works for you too then?

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post

Southwest has begun ultrasound inspections of its entire fleet of 737 aircraft. United Airlines executives said Wednesday they will inspect 698 engines in their fleet similar to the accident engine.
    I'm flying SW Saturday and Sunday, get busy boys!

Not worried though.

Gonna rant a little here.

People apparently. But you're right.

While we're at it, there were two pilots.

At some point, simply being there and doing your job isn't an accomplishment.
    My wife cares: she hates flying with female pilots and makes note of every bump on the landings. I kinda hope we get this lady sometime so I can point out her history--after we reach the gate. (My wife's really just a nervous flyer, but don't try to tell her that.)

You make a valid point, though. There may be nothing so patriarchal as the backhanded compliment of acting like being born female makes normal achievements unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm flying SW Saturday and Sunday, get busy boys!

Not worried though.
    Bring your "My Pillow" and put it against the window, fall asleep, win!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Not to single you out, but why do airplane accidents freak people out so much? This is the first accidental death on a U.S. carrier in nearly a decade.

Bring your "My Pillow" and put it against the window, fall asleep, win!
    As long as you wake up inside the plane it's all good!

That’s good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Not to single you out, but why do airplane accidents freak people out so much? This is the first accidental death on a U.S. carrier in nearly a decade.
    Agree - I wish I wasn’t so freaked by plane accidents but I am.

blood streaks down the outside of the fuselage from the broken window?

Other passengers were able to pull Riordan into the plane, where passenger Peggy Phillips, a retired nurse, rushed to her aide after hearing a call for anyone who knew CPR, reports ABC-6. Together with an onboard EMT, Phillips gave Riordan CPR for 20 minutes through the plane's emergency landing in Philadelphia.
    "It just wasn't going to be enough," Phillips told NBC-10.
    It wasn't. Riordan, a bank executive from Albuquerque, New Mexico, died from her injuries.
    "It happened so fast," Phillips told ABC-6. "If you can possibly imagine going through the window of an airplane at about 600 miles an hour and hitting either the fuselage or the wing with your body - with your face - then I think I can probably tell you there was significant trauma."
    Philadelphia’s medical examiner said Wednesday that Riordan died of blunt impact trauma to her head, neck and torso.

I can tell you one thing: there's no way her face hit the damn wing.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Not to single you out, but why do airplane accidents freak people out so much?
    1. Survivability of an accident. Auto accidents have near 100% survivability. Plane accident survivability is significantly lower (statistically speaking) albeit still greater than 95%.
    2. Accidents may occur 30,000 feet off the ground.
    3. A DC-10 cartwheeling down a runway and bursting into flames is hard to forget.

Agree - I wish I wasn’t so freaked by plane accidents but I am.
    you got a much greater chance of being killed walking into a highschool in America
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    What I'm saying is, her obstacle to clear and calm communication was her own stress, whereas on the fire-ground the obstacle is being able to actually breathe. There was no intent of an icy-veined dick measuring contest intended, despite your hopes. But, I believe that you're being intentionally obtuse.
    Yeah there's tons of air at 34k feet flying at like 600mph with a hole in your aircraft.

I'm sure wildland firefighters have it totally harder than what this pilot experienced.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you got a much greater chance of being killed walking into a highschool in America
    Speaking of highly unlikely. The common thread is news coverage. If the news seems like it will happen to you next, you might be missing what makes it news.

Turns out the victim was one of my best friend's from college's Aunt. Such a wild situation.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"