Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Emergency landing

Sucked. Out. Of. The. Fucking. Window!
    Saw that on the news this AM, gonna have to watch seat choose on 737 fights.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

^Window was 8 rows back from the engine... really think seat choice matters? Your chance of dying on a given US commercial flight is roughly 1 in 25 MILLION. Your chance of getting struck by lighting over the course of a year is 1 in 1 Million. Chances that a US skier (including inbounds skiers) will die in an avalanche this year is 2.5 in 1 Million. Your chance of dying in a car crash this year 1 in 10,000.

Name:  180417204557-02-ntsb-southwest-exlarge-169.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  46.8 KB
    Fan missing one blade. Damage (multiple gashes visible in the leading edge, pylon, fuselage) is consistent with losing an entire compressor disc, probably from the low pressure compressors (at least) based on where the damage is on the engine nacelle. Modern civil turbofan engines are designed to contain blade failure, but that design feature failed here.

I wonder if the poor lady died from trauma from shrapnel or from getting half sucked out First US commercial aviation death since Continental 3407 in 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Yet another reason to wear your seatbelt whenever you're seated.

Man those people were just sitting there, everything was cool, normal rhythms of a flight still getting underway...and BAM. Fuck I hate shit like that. RIP.

This web page is terrifying ...

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-s...ents-incidents

Check the Aloha Air flight from 1988. Fan blades sheared off the engine and ripped off half the roof. Cray.

Tammie Jo Shults' name has not been officially released by Southwest Airlines, but passengers who were on the flight have identified her as the pilot. Many of them are praising her for how she handled the emergency Tuesday.

In air traffic control audio, a female pilot spoke calmly and slowly, describing the emergency that was unraveling more than 30,000 feet in the air -- all the while trying to land a damaged plane suffering engine failure.
    Training pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post

Check the Aloha Air flight from 1988. Fan blades sheared off the engine and ripped off half the roof. Cray.
    Jesus Christ, the first story is incredible.

I have always worn my seatbelt at all times. I wonder if she was. Could have pulled her right out.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Training pays off.
    Listen to the ATC recording. She is so unbelievably calm and professional as she communicates and describes the situation that you'd think she was remarking on the lack of turbulence. Bad ass! Former USN F-18 pilot. She was probably just happy nobody was shooting at her. I'll try to find the link to the recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    ^Window was 8 rows back from the engine... really think seat choice matters? Your chance of dying on a given US commercial flight is roughly 1 in 25 MILLION. Your chance of getting struck by lighting over the course of a year is 1 in 1 Million. Chances that a US skier (including inbounds skiers) will die in an avalanche this year is 2.5 in 1 Million. Your chance of dying in a car crash this year 1 in 10,000.

Name:  180417204557-02-ntsb-southwest-exlarge-169.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  46.8 KB
    Fan missing one blade. Damage (multiple gashes visible in the leading edge, pylon, fuselage) is consistent with losing an entire compressor disc, probably from the low pressure compressors (at least) based on where the damage is on the engine nacelle. Modern civil turbofan engines are designed to contain blade failure, but that design feature failed here.

I wonder if the poor lady died from trauma from shrapnel or from getting half sucked out First US commercial aviation death since Continental 3407 in 2009.
    That last item is an amazing fact. You wonder if 9/11 and its aftermath is the prime reason?

actually i don't wonder that at all

I wonder if the poor lady died from trauma from shrapnel or from getting half sucked out .
    I wondered that too. What altitude were they at? Exposure at cruising altitude would be a bitch.

I always try to stay out of rows 7-9 on (turboprop) Q400's, but this is pretty random. Hell of a way to go.

@ Z3: They were at 32,500 feet.

getting pulled almost instantly halfway out of one of those little windows is probably not great either. hopefully, she was out for all of it.

Another CFM56-7 uncontained fan blade failure 2 years ago (also on a SWA 737-700). SWA is the primary user of the 737-700 which is the primary user of the CFM56-7 series of turbofan (GE manufactured turbofan). SWA3472 was at FL310 when the engine went kablooie, punctured the cabin, depressurized, landed safely with no injuries.

Listen to the ATC recording. She is so unbelievably calm and professional as she communicates and describes the situation that you'd think she was remarking on the lack of turbulence. Bad ass! Former USN F-18 pilot. She was probably just happy nobody was shooting at her. I'll try to find the link to the recording.
    Here is the ATC recording: https://soundcloud.com/themorningcal...ure-april-14th I love her cheerful "have a good day!" Good controllers too... listen to the whole thing!

Got sucked into reading that quora thread. Human error is a bitch. Window installer too lazy to check manual for bolt spec. And this gem:

At the time of the incident, Canada was converting to the metric system. As part of this process, the new 767s being acquired by Air Canada were the first to be calibrated for metric units (litres and kilograms) instead of customary units (gallons and pounds). All other aircraft were still operating with Imperial units (gallons and pounds). The pilots miscalculated the fuel required for the trip in pounds instead of kilograms.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post

I knew all those but the first one... WOAH!

Aloha 243 was a fuselage metal fatigue issue (plus possible pressurization system malfunction), NOT an uncontained fan blade failure, but some amazing pilot work. UA811 was another major fuselage failure.

The most amazing pilot work I know of for an uncontained engine failure was UA232 where #2 shredded all the DC-10 hydraulics (no flight controls). Miracle anyone survived!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That last item is an amazing fact. You wonder if 9/11 and its aftermath is the prime reason?
    I'm uncertain which part of my comment you were referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    actually i don't wonder that at all
    Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    getting pulled almost instantly halfway out of one of those little windows is probably not great either. hopefully, she was out for all of it.

Reminds me of this.

https://youtu.be/i1PikITKKYY
    crab in my shoe mouth

I usually sit aisle seat in the very back. Not sure that would help in this situation but you always get your beer first.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I knew all those but the first one... WOAH!

Aloha 243 was a fuselage metal fatigue issue (plus possible pressurization system malfunction), NOT an uncontained fan blade failure, but some amazing pilot work. UA811 was another major fuselage failure.

The most amazing pilot work I know of for an uncontained engine failure was UA232 where #2 shredded all the DC-10 hydraulics (no flight controls). Miracle anyone survived!

I'm uncertain which part of my comment you were referring to?
    The last number. First death since 2009.

What was the wind speed at the time she was out there?

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post

Sweet!
    crab in my shoe mouth