Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I thought a lot of those sandwiches were Aramid not aluminum?
    Yeah, I doubt it's aluminum. I'm not positive what the material is, but it certainly doesn't look like metal.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Yeah, and the metallurgy that makes high-bypass turbofan engines possible is remarkable unto itself.
    I work with aircraft engine components. The engineering, design, and manufacturing processes that goes into these parts is incredibly impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Unfortunately, in one incident the pilots shut down the good engine instead of the bad engine on approach which resulted in a crash.
    Are you talking about British Midlands?

They shut down the wrong engine because the bad engine surged so strongly that they thought the other side had lost power. A classic case of not believing the indications in favor of your gut.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    We were on Ocean Beach in San Diego when a flight lost its engine on takeoff directly above us at a pretty low altitude. It was right after takeoff prolly less than a minute. They looped back and landed safely. I'll never forget that sound.
    That's exactly where I live, right under the flight path. My 630am alarm clock as seen from bed:

Name:  plane.JPG
Views: 414
Size:  31.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    ^^^ I have literally thousands of hours of flying airplanes with CFM56 engines, with only one minor engine related incident. It's a proven workhorse.
    It's the Look Pivot of aircraft engines.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Was flying southwest the day before right next to the engine. Hmm.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    Absolutely both are practiced, regularly.

Flight simulators are used to teach systems (hydraulics, electricals, flight controls, computers, etc), practice system failures, and then throw just about every emergency possibly at a crew to give them a chance to establish some familiarity. Everybody thinks sims are fun times, they're not, basically torture boxes to have everything thrown at you.

Very professional and calm handling by controllers and pilots alike. Can't imagine how it was for the Flight Attendants.

The event happened very high, so the pax was most likely incapacitated very quickly. Sticking your head out the window at 34k tends to be hazardous to one's health, between the lack of oxygen, frigid temperatures and wind blast. Wow what a way to go, it was clearly her time.

Keep your seat belts on, folks.
    Yup. That's right! You spent a ton of time in the same flight sim as me if memory serves me correctly. Except our sim time was way more boring than doing rapid D drills or engine flameouts. Haha. You ever do any sim ride alongs with the pilots, though? I've done a few and like you said, they make every emergency so familiar that by the time things really DO hit the fan, it's practically rote and the pilot can remain cool as a cucumber. My sim time did have lots of emergencies, but it was more like APU/PTO fires that we had to "call in" the emergency. All ground stuff at the engineer panel. Raise the plane. Lower the plane. Raise it again. Lower it again. "Oh, boy. Another fire. Hooray." Yawn. Torture boxes is right. The quiet hum of all the computer fans would always tempt to lull me to sleep. Heck, it knocked out my aging instructor in the seat behind me on more than one occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Was flying southwest the day before right next to the engine. Hmm.
    Hmmmmm.... who gives a fuck? So were 150K or so other people of the 2.5 million who flew in the US yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    It's the Look Pivot of aircraft engines.
    That is one hell of an awesome analogy!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    That's exactly where I live, right under the flight path. My 630am alarm clock as seen from bed:

Name:  plane.JPG
Views: 414
Size:  31.9 KB
    Nice spot. I kinda wanna move back down there. I'll hit you up for beer at pizza port next time we are in town.

Yeah we had our own LM sims to simulate rapid D, cargo fires, cargo jettison, manual gear extension and unlock, gear up landings, ditching etc. All via an interactive touchscreen representation of the cargo bay.

Once a year we had to do our 'Interior Safety Inspection' (basically a power-up that also turned on the APU if we were just on GPU power) in the cockpit sim. Sometimes that was fun, our only time to try our hands at flying the sim once we'd gotten our items out of the way, but one of the senior guys at Boeing became a total killjoy and decided that extra time was better served further hashing out the electrical bus and the DC cross tie and shit like that. 4 hour sim block of doing the IS over and over and over...

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    hopefully, she was out for all of it.
    half out, half in apparently

How fast would the treadmill have to be going to get sucked out a busted window? Would the window pane stay on the treadmill?

Captain T.J. Shults, US Naval Aviation USN Captain, First Woman Fighter (F-18) Pilot.
    Could help explain her calmness.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

do you guys expect a pilot is going to just go apeshit screaming and running around?
    Is that what you do when something goes wrong?
    What else is there to do, you communicate with the tower and fly the plane to the nearest safe landing.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    do you guys expect a pilot is going to just go apeshit screaming and running around?
    Name:  1_Stryker_Sweating.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  37.9 KB
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Is that what you do when something goes wrong?
    What else is there to do, you communicate with the tower and fly the plane to the nearest safe landing.
    You never had any of your fire crews give an excited or disjointed radio report when something went south?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    You never had any of your fire crews give an excited or disjointed radio report when something went south?
    It’s a little different in the fire world. It’s much harder to sound calm and collected on the radio when you are out of O2 from running uphill or disoriented in a smoke filled warehouse and your face piece is sucked against your eyes, regardless of the level of training.

But yeah, she’s a bad ass, no argument.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    It’s a little different in the fire world. It’s much harder to sound calm and collected on the radio when you are out of O2 from running uphill or disoriented in a smoke filled warehouse and your face piece is sucked against your eyes, regardless of the level of training.

But yeah, she’s a bad ass, no argument.
    So what you're saying is the obstacles to clear, calm communication are drastically less significant in the fire world than this woman dealt with? That's my reading. You're one guy, or one guy and crew who are all willing participants, this woman had a few hundred lives and a craft worth tens of millions of dollars in her hands, there is hardly a comparison to be made at all.

Her plane rapidly decompressed as it lost an engine which may also have been on fire, chunks of aircraft, unknown additional damage... so she had to get control of the aircraft and get her oxygen mask on before she passed out, start her descent, etc. Time of useful consciousness is less than minute at that altitude without the mask. That might get even a practiced person breathing hard if not a tad excited.

Actually, she was probably thinking "well at least I don't have to land this thing on a carrier at night"

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    So what you're saying is the obstacles to clear, calm communication are drastically less significant in the fire world than this woman dealt with? That's my reading. You're one guy, or one guy and crew who are all willing participants, this woman had a few hundred lives and a craft worth tens of millions of dollars in her hands, there is hardly a comparison to be made at all.
    What I'm saying is, her obstacle to clear and calm communication was her own stress, whereas on the fire-ground the obstacle is being able to actually breathe. There was no intent of an icy-veined dick measuring contest intended, despite your hopes. But, I believe that you're being intentionally obtuse.

zion I'm sure you aren't implying that FFs only give disjointed excited reports if they are physically exerting themselves. I've listened to plenty of emergency workers of all walks given excited reports due to their being worked up over a situation they trained for.

Of course he's not saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    fair enough. I've seen the whole bell curve.

Only a little tangential, but I wish there were a reliable way to know who is who in advance of an emergent situation, because it can be hard to tell (or easy sometimes I guess) who is going to do well when things get critical.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    icy-veined dick measuring contest
    I think I've found my next screen name!

Fun fact: when it gets icy, my dick measures like negative 2 inches.
    My dick sees more ice than most.
    Name:  tapatalk_1362465679720.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  68.0 KB

They just called the plane "crippled" on teh tv news....I thought that was on the list of retired PC words. Maybe we're bringing it back...that retarded faggot of a plane probably deserved some Lester Holt shit talk.

You don't really look all that happy about your ice helmet.