Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pads- Knee/Elbow '18

What are some good pads for ENDURO-BRO riding .
    My hudge legs ripped my old GForm knee pads. I never really liked them anyway, the elbows aren't too bad. Too hard to get on/off on sweaty legs. Anything new and better on the market this season? They would mostly be used on Xtreme XC riding. Stuff them in the pack till I get to the top of the climb then put them on for a super gnar descent.

Not looking for DH pads, but I'd like a little more protection than the Gforms in the form of a hard plate maybe.

Race Face Ambush is good stuff.
    Protective, d30 padding, not terribly hot/heavy and you can wear/remove the knees without taking off your shoes.

Anything with hard shell plastic may lean more to teh DH side that you'd like.

Not enduro worthy but good for extreme xc - I went back to these Lizard skins pads recently. Had a pair of them before that I really liked. They're not heavy duty and can move if you slide in a crash but protection is ok for xc. What I found is I would use them a lot more often than other pads since they are quick and easy on/off without removing shoes. Better pads don't help if you're too lazy to put them on. Price is good too.

https://www.lizardskins.com/mtb/prot...gear/soft-knee

For rowdier rides with less xc and more big up to big down, I still use the 661 Evo knee pads. They stuff into a pack nicely, but I usually just keep them down around my ankles where they go mostly unnoticed, then I pull them up for the descents. If the ride has a big descend followed by another big climb, I'll just reach down and slide them down. Waaaay better than sitting on the dirt, pulling off my shoes, stuffing them in the pack and putting my shoes back on.

For rides where I'm doing more pedaling mid-ride (ie after the initial climb), I use my Fox Launch Enduro pads. Comfortable enough that I can keep them up for the whole ride if needed, but still start with them down on my ankles if the rides starts with a big climb.

Only elbow pad I've used that I like is the POC Joint VPD Air. They aren't perfect, but I don't know if such a thing exists. Definitely not breaking them out unless things are going to get rowdy and stay rowdy. Do not like to leave them on for any climbing or xc riding just because having shit on my arms sucks if it's not actively helping me have more fun.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Pads- Knee/Elbow '18

ixs flow, awesome knee pads, they have a new zipper one but the regular is also great and I don’t see a problem riding with them down my ankles, a little too bulky to stash inside a pack! maybe the tld speed if tou want to go really lightweight

I used tld speed elbow pads for a season but got tired and decided to endure the recovery time if I crash, I’m usually riding on ls shirts to help a bit...

https://zeitbike.com/brands/tsg.html Scroll down. Nice variety and some of the sale prices are really good. Free shipping at $50.

I’ve really been liking the Alpinestars Paragon. More breathable than most, even the Gforms, but pretty heavy duty protection. Cheap too, $45. I pedal all day and everywhere in them.

https://www.alpinestars.com/paragon-knee-protector-fa18
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I've been wearing the Alpine Stars Paragons as well and have been pretty happy with them. No super hard slams but the usual OTBs and they've done a decent job of staying in place. A little warm on a hot summer day but what isn't? They're comfy and I've worn them for some 20 mile days with 3-5k of climbing without issue.

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/sport/b...ayer-knee-pad/

I'm liking the Dakine Slayer knee pads, they are asymmetrically cut L & R to fit better

for forearm/elbows some old 661 2x4's

both ^^ use a mesh sleeve to keep them in place which is important IME, you wana buy them in person cuz fit is pretty important so they don't fall down or shift on impact, I tried every pad on the display wall
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

is there really no "YourMom" alias to respond with a TR to such a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.dakine.com/en-us/sport/b...ayer-knee-pad/

I'm liking the Dakine Slayer knee pads, they are asymmetrically cut L & R to fit better
    Ditto. Lost my first pair of Slayers, replaced them with another pair. Comfortable, secure, good level of protection for my everyday riding.

I really like these/
    https://www.troyleedesigns.com/5400-...tity=1&color=7

They split the difference between some of the hard shell and soft minimal protection stuff. Also come in a longer knee/shin version I believe.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

^^^ Those TLD knee pads are and were some of the shittiest I've ever worn. Those things were constantly slipping down my legs on rides. The elastic on them wore out within a month.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    ^^^ Those TLD knee pads are and were some of the shittiest I've ever worn. Those things were constantly slipping down my legs on rides. The elastic on them wore out within a month.
    Potato-potahto.

Worked well for me, stay up well, haven't blown out, and have taken some decent falls without shredding.

For the burlier days, I've a pair of Ion K-Lite Zips. Very comfy. Not bad to pedal in, just more than I want in a daily driver wear set.

The polar opposite is a set of Race Face things that are not much more than some well front-padded knee warmers. I like those quite a bit as well.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

For arms, I rarely wear anything. When I do though, I like forearm protection as much as elbow, that’s where you usually take most of the damage. I’ve got the Dianese trailskins for that. I wear them low, all the way down to my wrist, with the upper velcro just above my elbow. I’ve only fallen on them once and they strayed put and did their job.

I like elbow all the way down the forearm because around here even if you don't go down you might be riding thru a pine forest and tag a tree which will rip a long sleeve jersey and probably draw a little blood

also good for staying clipped in and leaning against a tree

elbow pads are also good for WW kayaking, smacking rocks and the boat
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    I've had these pads for like five years and they've been great. Any chance you had a size too big?

I've always thought knee pads should go further up the thighs like knee warmers for better hold and retention while pedalling. Finally 7iDP incorporated this and looks to have come out with a winner...according to Vital anyway:
    www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Knee-Shin-Pads,56/7iDP/Sam-Hill

Some brilliantly useless photos in that article. WTFF? Pose the pads on the moss--but more twigs and rocks!!

Is there a sleeve-style trail pad like those/G-form etc that reaches extra far down the shin? I'm trying to find one that won't crawl up and bunch behind my knee, and all the ones that put the bottom gripper around the thickest part of my calves are useless in that regard--my calves push them up within minutes.

Also stuck with XL-XXL calves and L thighs, so that's a pain, too. POC's VPD Airs didn't quite work, G-Forms and Alpinestars both bunch up on me.

I don't fight it. Pre-bunch above the calf, seems to work fine.

Yeah I've taken that approach, too, but I've got real pads and if I'm going to wear something lighter it needs to get more comfortable. So I keep looking for the white whale.

@evdog, are you wearing those Lizard Skins all the time? The adjustment above and below looks hopeful.

OP, if you're looking to go for more protection the POC VPD Airs jm2e mentioned are a step that direction. My wife is loving them for every day riding and if they'd fit me I would, too.

I bought some Leatt 3df knee pads. They have good knee coverage, stay put and you can pedal all day in them. 3df is some high tech shit that hardens on impact.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    @evdog, are you wearing those Lizard Skins all the time? The adjustment above and below looks hopeful.
    Haven't tried this new pair out yet, so the answer is no. But the pair I had before was comfy and didn't move while riding. The whole point for me is with the straps they're so quick to put on. For a one up, one down ride I'd probably bring something burlier. These I would tend to use when the ride has a number of descents and climbs, or more rolling terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I bought some Leatt 3df knee pads. They have good knee coverage, stay put and you can pedal all day in them. 3df is some high tech shit that hardens on impact.
    Been eyeing these, thanks for the beta.

Thanks to Reckless Toboggan's suggestion in the shin guard thread I have tried the FP MFG Street (skater) knee pads and I'm thinking about trying the elbows based on these. They're cheap, comfy, and equipped with the non-Newtonian foam which is flexible enough to disappear until needed. Compared the pads in these side by side with the POC VPD Airs I gave to my wife and while these have slightly less coverage on the sides, the FP's seem at least as thick, with slightly bigger breathing holes in the pads. For me, on/off over shoes is possible but not easy.

The straps crept a little and needed an adjustment by mid-ride (no grippers), but the pad itself stayed in the right spot. On net I like them better than the POC's (which also crept on me): less bunching behind the knee and less noticeable when warm compared to the POC's.

It was about 90 today so my wife left her pads. Which is obviously why she crashed and landed on the only rock in sight. The self-rescue was type 3 fun and she's resting with a lot of ice now. I left the skate pads on until we left urgent care. Even with a 6-day old scab on one knee they were comfy enough. So now we're planning to try their hip pads. And maybe the elbow pads, too, since apparently we don't wear ours in the heat.

https://www.concrete-visionary.com/h...rby=price-desc