Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Is whether someone uses clipless v. flats a reasonable measure of anything?

Dumb question, perhaps. A local mountain bike "team" puts on a skills clinic every year. Mrs. Rootskier signed up this year and apparently, one of their litmus tests is whether or not you use clipless pedals:

Beginners: You feel new to mountain bike riding; generally do not use clip in pedals; feel comfortable on the Corridor and some beginner trails in Rattlesnake.

Intermediate: You feel comfortable with many trails in Rattlesnake; for the most part using clip in pedals; excited to improve technique in a variety of areas such as cornering, breaking, downhill, uphill switchbacks, etc.

Advanced/Downhill: You enjoy riding the Rattlesnake trails and have perhaps ridden some (or a lot) at Marshall Mountain; comfortable in clipless pedals; you'd like to improve your technique, downhill speed and flow.
    Now, to be fair, this is a racing team so I understand why they have a preference for clipless but the clinics are not race-oriented in any way, so far as I know.

With that, does anyone else think it is strange that they seem to use clipless as a proxy for skills? All I know is that I used clipless for years and years but switched to flats and I'm not going back. I am also 100% confident that everyone on the team and all of the instructors for this are far better riders than I will ever be, so that has nothing to do with my question.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Dumb question, perhaps. A local mountain bike "team" puts on a skills clinic every year. Mrs. Rootskier signed up this year and apparently, one of their litmus tests is whether or not you use clipless pedals:

Now, to be fair, this is a racing team so I understand why they have a preference for clipless but the clinics are not race-oriented in any way, so far as I know.

With that, does anyone else think it is strange that they seem to use clipless as a proxy for skills? All I know is that I used clipless for years and years but switched to flats and I'm not going back.
    Yup - it's horseshit, IMO. I rode clipless for 25 years and about 5 years forgot my shoes on a trip to Moab, bought a pair of decent flats, and have never returned to clipless.

Although... I'm still a total hack, even after riding for most of my life at this point.

no
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I feel like it's a cut and paste from 10-15 years ago.

This looks like a click-bait article on Pinkbike or Bike Magazine.

Who the hell cares which pedals you use, as long as you like them and you're having fun?

Beginners: You feel new to mountain bike riding; your bike has 29" wheels, and is one size too big; you feel comfortable on the Corridor and some beginner trails in Rattlesnake.

Intermediate: You feel comfortable with many trails in Rattlesnake; you ride a 27.5; you're excited to improve technique in a variety of areas such as cornering, breaking, downhill, uphill switchbacks, etc.

Advanced/Downhill: You enjoy riding the Rattlesnake trails and have perhaps ridden some (or a lot) at Marshall Mountain; 26 for life! ; you'd like to improve your technique, downhill speed and flow. Your guide's name is Damian. Please refrain from talking politics.
    ​​​​​​​​​​

I feel like competent, experienced riders should be comfortable using either clipless or flats, depending on the task at hand.

one of the old fucks I ski with told me clipless are dangerous so he only uses toe clips ... wait a minute dude those things are harder to get out of

actualy IME any rider has to be shown how they work and the pedals need to be adj for release tension if they are SPD, so I have shown a couple of gf's now how to use SPD's and as one former ski instructor said " oh its just like teaching a kid how to get out of their bindings "

I use clipless to make up for a lack of skill.

So...their litmus test is bullshit.

Sounds like we're in 1999. There are a lot of clipless snobs / shitheads who still seem to think that way. The best riders I know were on clipless for a long time and most of them have actually transitioned back to flats in recent years. Although they will switch back and forth depending on where they're riding sometimes. Some of them said they changed back because the clipless had led to some bad habits in terms of technique. A good rider should be fine with either, IMO. I prefer flats myself because several of my rides require a fair amount of hike a bike, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    I feel like it's a cut and paste from 10-15 years ago.
    This. I still ride clipless but flats have come a long way in the last decade or more.

I literally cannot ride off road in any way with flat pedals.

I use SPD clipless and mtn bike shoes exclusively even on the road bike, clipless keep my feet where I want em

I have flats on my bar bike

but riding skinnies I rode flats cuz there was just that extra 1000th of a second I was still connected to the bike and now i just don't ride skinnies

I've heard people at my LBS who say they currently ride clipless, but need to learn to ride flats because it'll make them better and faster riders in downhill.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    I literally cannot ride off road in any way with flat pedals.
    I purchased the first generation SPD’s in 1990. I can’t even picture myself not being clipped in. I’ve always thought of them as bike bindings. Ya, no way I can ride off road without them.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    This. I still ride clipless but flats have come a long way in the last decade or more.
    Maybe in terms of adoption?

But with regards to technology - flats, I don't think, have changed all that much. A flat platform with pins. Although I haven't been riding them too terribly long... so maybe old flats sucked ass?

Key to all of it: the shoes

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ...Although they will switch back and forth depending on where they're riding sometimes.
    This and what I'm riding can be a factor. Riding techy (aka bouncy shit) on my fat bike with no suspension can be troublesome with the flats. Add ice, snow into the mixed conditions and I've bounced off. A better rider could adapt, but clipped in was just easier for me.

The flats are amazing with a good shoe, but I'm still clipped in on the dirt too.

The way I see it is that you have two sets of muscles in your legs, one for pushing and one for pulling. The pushing ones are definitely stronger, but without clipless you are leaving some power and endurance on the table. Plus, the ability to jump the bike around and stay attached are enhanced with clips. I live in the mountains where most rides involve some serious climbing, and virtually no serious cross country riders use flat pedals. To me flats have always symbolized that it is more about the down for that rider. Personal choice, but I don't feel I have reasonable choice but to use clipless.

It is is harder to be one with your bike with flats. There are certain situations where that may not be your primary concern, but not in my world. Is there any reason to use flats other than having the ability to part with your bike on short notice?
    Gravity Junkie

If you're still trying to get your wife to really enjoy riding, and make it something that feels like skiing, I'd say get her a nice pair of flat pedals and a nice pair of 5.10s. Do not let her do this in sneakers. She'll crash less and really just think less about her feet all the time so that she can focus on enjoying the bike. The irony is that it's more expensive to get a proper set up with flats than with clipless these days.

If your wife is more into laying down the miles and this is going to be more road biking on dirt, I'd say she'll end up on clipless anyway so might as well start now.

But yea, that local group is stupid. Ask them if they're familiar with Sam Hill. Or Rampage. Or the Fest Series. Or Five Ten.
    However many are in a shit ton.

It's Missoula. That town is full of dirt roadies who think that one rock on 3 larches constitutes a technical challenge. It shouldn't come as much surprise that they consider not falling over while using clipless pedals a noteworthy achievement.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The clipless vs. flats debate is pointless - it has nothing to do with skill and everything to do with personal preference and what types of trails you ride.

I rode flats for years and I don’t think it helped or hindered my riding ability. I run clipless now and have never considered going back to flats.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Maybe you're reading too much into it. I don't think they're really using pedals as the sole gauge of what group you should be in, but for casual/beginner riders, many of whom think "oh no clips are scary and I'd fall over" it's probably an ok guideline for self selection.

For me racing - clips riding for fun - flats, I feel like every experienced rider should learn both. Met many clip riders that struggled with jumping due to not being able to pressure the bike properly.

Yep, flats for fun, clipless for long xc miles. Feet are so much happier in Moab with flats...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Sounds like we're in 1999. There are a lot of clipless snobs / shitheads who still seem to think that way.
    More like MTBR, present day

I could care less what you ride. But if you prattle on about how your pedal type is superior yet you have never tried the other type long enough to get well into the learning curve, then you are an ignorant douche. That's the vibe I get from the ad in the OP. Unfortunately plenty of riders who are new to the sport or otherwise clueless listen to people like that or see ads/magazines and get it in their heads that flats are for noobs. They think clipless looks more like what a "real" mountain biker should use so they are convinced they need to "upgrade" or "make the jump" to clipless. Even though they are probably better off on flats while they learn to ride. (I should know...that was me )

The type of pedal you use has nothing to do with skill. Lots of good riders use each type. If you are going to try the other kind out though, make sure you give it a few months. People expect a learning curve on clipless. Flats are easier to pick up in the beginning, but probably have a longer learning curve to become proficient at on difficult terrain. I think a lot of people who try flats and go back don't give flats enough time.