Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Really?

Seems like the easier the release, the more float you have. I can move my foot a bit around in corners and such in a lower 'DIN'. That's how I've looked at it. Make it easy to release and you make it have more float, and any float with it on the hardest setting, I guess thats the float you are talking about everyone has?

I'm not saying I'm right, I just look at it differently, but you are probably technically right.
    yes really you do not get more float cuz the float is fixed period,

how many clicks you turn that screw in will determine the release value period

While it may seem easier if you gently wiggle the shoe on the peddle by hand to feel the limits of the float you will find that you bump up against the limits of the system at the same point no matter how many clicks you crank into the pedal.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    How are you going to mount the spacer so that it prevents cleat rotation? Don't the cleats need to bite into the surface of the shoe's cleat bed to stay locked in? If you put spacers between the cleat and the shoe - won't that loosen the bite between the cleat and the shoe?
    yeah i would agree with you ^^ that a spacer between the clip and shoe is very likely to slip, I would clip the shoe in and take a good look at what is hitting ... go from there

a slipping cleat means you can't unclip which IME sucks

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yes really you do not get more float cuz the float is fixed period,

how many clicks you turn that screw in will determine the release value period

While it may seem easier if you gently wiggle the shoe on the peddle by hand to feel the limits of the float you will find that you bump up against the limits of the system at the same point no matter how many clicks you crank into the pedal.
    Thanks, good to know.

this is all kind of begging the question ... how do you set up your cleats ??

Like a moron maybe?

Who cares though. They are set up how I like them after 20 years of SPDs. When I switched to black versions, I was wary though. I'm trying to find out if I'm the last one to know if they suck, or they are perfectly fine. What's the consensus?

well you have to put the cleat in the right place on the shoe so the shoe/cleat is in the middle of its float other wise the limit of the float could wear on yer knee joints

what i do is pedal a bit so my feet are doing their normal thing, stop without moving my shoes and then move my shoe heel from side to side to see if there is some slop to either side of my heels before I hit the hard stop

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4001-9...Cleats#reviews

The way I understand it the black release to the outside only while the silver release to the inside and outside, here are user reviews about both cleats

as opposed to being stupid, hopefully you are just ignorant of the subject and so ... there is always hope for you

<snip> What's the consensus?
    Get Time's?

I had a set of times but I didn't like them as much as SPD,

they don't have any retention adjustment so there is nothing to not adjust

<snip>
    they don't have any retention adjustment so there is nothing to not adjust
    <ding> <ding> <ding>

We have a winner!!

well you have to put the cleat in the right place on the shoe so the shoe/cleat is in the middle of its float other wise the limit of the float could wear on yer knee joints

what i do is pedal a bit so my feet are doing their normal thing, stop without moving my shoes and then move my shoe heel from side to side to see if there is some slop to either side of my heels before I hit the hard stop

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4001-9...Cleats#reviews

The way I understand it the black release to the outside only while the silver release to the inside and outside, here are user reviews about both cleats

as opposed to being stupid, hopefully you are just ignorant of the subject and so ... there is always hope for you
    While you mean well and are patient/nice and yes are much more knowledgable than me, i'm just trying to find out what color cleat people use rather than explain myself indefinitely.

I have a buddy who wrecked his knees with improperly adjusted SPD's but we got the universal HC up here so it was a free fix but he is a Radiologist so shouldnt they know better?

While you mean well and are patient/nice and yes are much more knowledgable than me, i'm just trying to find out what color cleat people use rather than explain myself indefinitely.
    the red ones

Ah, now I get yer drift. Fine, I will click-in tomorrow and give you all the info.

But it was a tight corner where my front wheel jackknifed in a split second, I'm not confident the knee strain had anything to do with grey or black cleats, just that I had PSDs on. I was skidding on my head at one point, I don't even know if I should care about pedals as I said before.

yeah i would agree with you ^^ that a spacer between the clip and shoe is very likely to slip, I would clip the shoe in and take a good look at what is hitting ... go from there

a slipping cleat means you can't unclip which IME sucks
    Cleat spacers are a thing. Some shoes include them (my latest 5.10's did). You'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Cleat spacers are a thing. Some shoes include them (my latest 5.10's did). You'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, my shoes were supposed to come with a shim, but I didn't see them. I'll check the box again.

The gray cleats release when you pull up hard, not just twisting in or out. I tried them once and got rid of them after a couple of unintentional releases, if I want to come out of the pedal when I lift my foot I'll just get flats. IMO they're good for beginners who are nervous about riding clipped in, and for someone who switches between flats and SPDs and wants a similar feel. The black ones have always released for me when I needed them to (e.g. OTB crashes).