Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    [safety bob]i would consider relative safety of a ski tour in the spring to be about a whole lot of other things of greater importance than slope angle[/safety bob]

Honestly, I think the best thing to start with it park your RV right in the summit lot at berthoud pass. If nothing else, it will be a great place to start.

Re: "shitty snow year" You know there are locations within 2 hrs. of Denver that have received >350", have yet to see rain or dust above 11K and are still building base right?

The Cameron Pass zone may be worth taking a look at. Our snow pack up this way is actually in pretty good shape and should lead to some good spring skiing. There are quite a few campgrounds in the upper stretch of the Poudre Canyon that can accommodate your rig, and they all should be opening soon(check this ). i believe they are reservable as well. There are also a couple of private RV parks/ cabin rentals spots in the canyon that may have a spot for you guys to set up at.
    The South and North Diamond are relatively easy to access. There plenty more objective based lines in the Nohku Crags. You can also tour into the untraveled NW corner of Rocky Mountain NP via Thunder Pass. Plenty to ski up there.

Heres a little beta
    https://www.frontrangeskimo.com/cameron-pass-north

also worth keeping an eye on/posting over at Powderbuzz.com. the forum has been pretty quite this winter but people will answer questions

finally, the folks at diamond peak ski patrol are awesome, and have a wealth of information when it comes to the Never Summer and Mummy ranges. shoot them an email
    http://www.diamondpeaks.org

have fun!

Very helplful JPC, thanks.

So we're camped out at Chief Hosa Campground outside of Golden which gives us access to either Loveland or Berthoud. Having visited both we are leaning toward Berthoud as it got slightly more snow during this last storm. My question to the group is does anyone know if Berthoud got a freeze last night? Thoughts on the prospects for corn in the next few days? Open snow is predicting lows of 30, 32, and 31 at Loveland.

No idea, but consider posting the question in the Colorado discussion thread in the Snow Conditions and Weather forum, might get different eyes.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Colorado Corn in May?

I’d probably head for Loveland because it’s easier to get and stay above tree line.

I haven’t been to either but with the barely freezing temps I’d be skeptical of anything until you figure out the snow at that aspect and elevation. And the “more snow from the last storm” may not be a plus unless you get high and north facing enough for it to still be powder - probably not at Berthoud.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Looked like lots of wet slides driving over Berthoud today, mostly the new layer. Skied Parsenn at MJ and I could see/feel the differences between new and old.

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

The new snow slid on all most steep solar aspects near Loveland ski area. You probably won't find cold snow on any aspect. I would be concerned about stability if we don't get a freeze but a clear night at 30F can absolutely freeze solid.

I'd probably go to berthoud over Loveland but that's just because I like the skiing there better.

The best skiing is going to be on lines that haven't been skied and haven't slid. Everything else was fairly manky today.

Quote Originally Posted by yardsale2 View Post
    So we're camped out at Chief Hosa Campground outside of Golden which gives us access to either Loveland or Berthoud. Having visited both we are leaning toward Berthoud as it got slightly more snow during this last storm. My question to the group is does anyone know if Berthoud got a freeze last night? Thoughts on the prospects for corn in the next few days? Open snow is predicting lows of 30, 32, and 31 at Loveland.
    For local weather conditions, I use snotel. I tried to paste the specific link, but their server is down so I can't. Not sure how long it has been down as I haven't skied in nearly 2 weeks and am done for the year. Search the interweb for "snotel colorado map". Find the interactive map and click on the specific weather station. There are sites for Berthoud summit, Jones Pass and Loveland Pass (all relevant to your plans) as well a a ton more. After you choose the site, find the 7 day data set which will show hourly snow pack, temps, winds, water content and more. I hope that the server issues resolve and that this is helpful for you.

As for specific recommendations, I find that the Stanley Slide path on Berthoud pass often corns up sooner than other spots because it is straight south facing, though this means you need to be off of it early on a sunny day to avoid wet slides. It is a great pitch, though the top 300 vertical feet is too steep for me. 1500' approach fro 2200' of skiing. Avalanch debrit at the bottom and warm temps mean you often need to boot back out of the terminus. CAIC hasn't reported a slide on it this calander month, but I've not seen it. Approach Stanley Peak from the last left to right switch back before you get to the top of the pass from the south, park the car against the baricaid on the west, gain the ridge south of the summit and jump in where you'd like. Hitch hike back to the car.

To be clear, I wouldn't ski this until thing corn up well 'cause it can slide really big. I haven't skied it in 3-4 weeks, so I have no recent knowledge of conditions since this recent 2' storm or the big storm before that in late April.

Enjoy our soon to be fantastic spring corn!

Skied the meadows at Berthoud yesterday on what I would characterize as decent early corn. Following Timackie's suggestion I found that there hadn't been a hard freeze the night before. Rotten snow where the snowpack is thin near exposed rock. Whumping on the flat sections at the base of this run although not on the slopes themselves. Trying to convince wife to return one more time on Wednesday as Open Snow predicting lows of 30 degrees tonight.

Found some.good.corn this weekend. Write up coming in the edit

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

^^^Nice pics!

Yardsale, I would think that you could do a bit better that posting up at the glorified truck stop but it is your vacation. Re: weather. Snow conditions are going to be effected by many things other than the forecast low from Open Snow. Get up early, walk up high, go ski.

Quote Originally Posted by powderpow View Post
    Found some.good.corn this weekend. Write up coming in the edit
    well this is embarassing, for some reason tapatalk posts from my og account that I can't even sign into anymore.
    oh well
    spent the weekend in summit county. There was good corn on south and east faces on saturday and good corn on all faces by monday.

skied silver couloir on buffalo mountain with the rest of denver on saturday. Corn was popping on the east/south faces on the way up. nice creamy hot pow on the way down

sunday we decided to link up two of the more coveted lines in the region, making for a nice loop in the mountains from Frisco to Silverthorne. Deming Drop---->Big Bad Wolf

first up was Deming Peak and the Deming Drop

Next up was Big Bad Wolf on Red Mountain

Monday, I was going to ski, I fell asleep early and failed to make plans with anyone to ski. So I woke up and pack my car and was on my way. I stared at peak 1 and 2 on my way out of breck, by the time I drove by Vail Pass, the SW face of Uneva Peak was too much to bare. One illegal u-turn on I-70 and I was back at Vail Pass skinning north. This is the NE couloir btw, but I did ski the face you can see from the road.... just so you know

and a ptarmigan
    Last edited by BRUTAH; 05-08-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Powderpow thanks for sharing those pics.

posted these in the CO weather thread but anyway, skied some nice-ass corn on sunday in RMNP, dragon's tail:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dt-ascent-approach.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	461.9 KB 
ID:	235213

Name:	dt-approach-other-side.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	452.8 KB 
ID:	235214

Name:	dt-approach-selfie.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	235215

Name:	dt-ascent-booting.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	477.8 KB 
ID:	235216

Name:	dt-descent-erik-from-above.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	513.0 KB 
ID:	235217

Nice pics BRUTAH - we were in BBW on Saturday.

Some fantastic photos of some fantastic lines! I'm awfully envious.

Mmmm, ass corn...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    ^^^Nice pics!

Yardsale, I would think that you could do a bit better that posting up at the glorified truck stop but it is your vacation. Re: weather. Snow conditions are going to be effected by many things other than the forecast low from Open Snow. Get up early, walk up high, go ski.
    Yep, I have a lot to learn about corn formation. Heading back to Berthoud tomorrow before heading East on Thursday. (been out west since January)

Nice pics and lines all!

BTW, I found a piece of equipment on Berthoud. Identify what it is and where you lost it and we'll figure out how to get it back to you from Vermont

I dropped a pipe of the west side lift in 1999?

Hope you had a good time Yardy, BP is a pretty special place for me and I love to see others enjoy it as well.

Anyone been up Indy?

Get there early, it’s 45 in town @ 6am.