Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Colorado Corn in May?

Have a hall pass to get some spring corn turns in Colorado during the first two weeks of May before heading back East. I suspect the high passes such as Loveland are not corning up yet and am looking for suggestions for moderate corn runs in areas that might corn up a little earlier. Thoughts?
    Thanks.

Check back in early May.

I suspect that you will have a cornucopia of corn options the first two weeks of may. But who knows? Weather is a fickle bitch.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Family politics requires a "plan", so suggestions for potential destinations would be helpful. Will revise as necessary in May as you guys suggest.

Why settle for corn. The weather patter seems to be delivering powder every week.

Colorado is a big place. There are a lot of mountains.

I don't think I can remember a time when low elevation skiing was better than high elevation skiing in May.

There is basically no snow below 10K right now. I guess I don't know what low elevation skiing is Colorado is? With the exception of the San Juans, most of the snow falls around the divide so that is a good place to start on a map.

Mostly I would it would depend on what you are looking for. Classic descents? Easy road side access? By "family politics" does that mean you are bringing a family? Camping? Motels? Non-skiing activities?

Basically, ask a better question. One thing I would be looking for is early road openings for Trail Ridge or Indy. It is unlikely by early May but if it happens, that should be automatic.

whats a hall pass?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    whats a hall pass?
    It’s something pussy whipped guys have to get to live life.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    It’s something pussy whipped guys have to get to live life.
    That right there, folks, is a good:

got in trouble on another thread for not answering the question

so yes the first week of may will be GREAT for skiing
    there is a solid base and it continues to snow every few days, all I know about it summit county, can't give you info on anywhere else
    Plan on having lots of options and places to go

the conditions can vary greatly from day to day
    one day it could all be hardpack death snow
    the next day could be two feet of pow pow
    a day after that it could be iowa corn
    it could snow everyday for a week straight
    it might all melt before you get here too (but that is very doubtful)

hope that helps

The best powder days of the past two seasons have been in the first week of May, and then a week later we were skiing steep high elevation corn. Currently, the best snow day-to-day has been Northerly facing. Loveland Pass or Berthoud Pass provide plenty of options for pretty much any conditions. But as most have said, keep your options open in case of early road openings and of course, dependent on weather.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. I will be around the first couple weeks of May outside of a hut trip from the 5th to the 8th and could link up for some tours. I enjoy big mellow corn descents as much as anything else.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    The best powder days of the past two seasons have been in the first week of May, and then a week later we were skiing steep high elevation corn. Currently, the best snow day-to-day has been Northerly facing. Loveland Pass or Berthoud Pass provide plenty of options for pretty much any conditions. But as most have said, keep your options open in case of early road openings and of course, dependent on weather.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. I will be around the first couple weeks of May outside of a hut trip from the 5th to the 8th and could link up for some tours. I enjoy big mellow corn descents as much as anything else.
    Will do-thanks.

Two related questions come to mind.

1. Will any of the BLM RV sites in the area be open then? Or could we park our 17' travel trailer in a closed ski area parking lot (doubt it)?
    2. Wonder how many days it would take to acclimatize to the elevation. We spent the winter skiing Teton Pass at 8 - 10 thousand feet, sleeping at 6500 or so, but have been in various locations in southern Arizona and Nevada building houses with Habitat for Humanity at 3 -4 thousand for the last month. I know coming from sea level would be brutal. Wonder if we will fair any better?

you're young and tough, you'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    you're young and tough, you'll be fine
    Compared to whom?

I guess if you are old and decrepit you won’t be fine and should change plans to something less stressful

If you want good advice on skiing Colorado's Front Range in May, find a copy of "Front Range Descents" by Haddad and Faughey. It gives great info on great routes as well as when each route is generally skiable. I can't speak to BLM camper parking in the Front Range, but Chatfield State Park should be available for an RV. Not super close to the peaks, but a nice facility in May.

As said previously, weather can be odd and unpredictable in May. Colorado Avalanche Information Center gives helpful and pertinent advice. http://avalanche.state.co.us
    Last edited by timackie; 04-20-2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Cause

Quote Originally Posted by timackie View Post
    If you want good advice on skiing Colorado's Front Range in May, find a copy of "Front Range Descents" by Haddad and Faughey. It gives great info on great routes as well as when each route is generally skiable. I can't speak to BLM camper parking in the Front Range, but Chatfield State Park should be available for an RV. Not super close to the peaks, but a nice facility in May.

As said previously, weather can be odd and unpredictable in May. Colorado Avalanche Information Center gives helpful and pertinent advice. http://avalanche.state.co.us
    11th post in 11 years. There must be something to this Timmay.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

He fucked it up, he could have posted at 11:11

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I guess if you are old and decrepit you won’t be fine and should change plans to something less stressful
    At the end of March we could climb 3500 feet per day. Doubt we can do that much now at 12000 feet but I suspect we will still have options. We're in our 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Colorado is a big place. There are a lot of mountains.

I don't think I can remember a time when low elevation skiing was better than high elevation skiing in May.

There is basically no snow below 10K right now. I guess I don't know what low elevation skiing is Colorado is? With the exception of the San Juans, most of the snow falls around the divide so that is a good place to start on a map.

Mostly I would it would depend on what you are looking for. Classic descents? Easy road side access? By "family politics" does that mean you are bringing a family? Camping? Motels? Non-skiing activities?

Basically, ask a better question. One thing I would be looking for is early road openings for Trail Ridge or Indy. It is unlikely by early May but if it happens, that should be automatic.
    Very helpful fg. I'll stop thinking about low elevation passes which simplifies matters somewhat. We are looking for somewhat easy road access to moderate terrain (25 - 40 degrees). If the objective is very desirable, I could perhaps convince Pat to do an overnight. We have the gear with us. Doesn't sound like Trail Ridge or Indy (I assume you mean Independence Pass) will be an option for us.

You can ride or rent an Ebike to access Independence Pass or the Maroon Bells now.
    Sopris or Hayden should both offer good corn opportunities in May.

Quote Originally Posted by yardsale2 View Post
    Very helpful fg. I'll stop thinking about low elevation passes which simplifies matters somewhat. We are looking for somewhat easy road access to moderate terrain (25 - 40 degrees). If the objective is very desirable, I could perhaps convince Pat to do an overnight. We have the gear with us. Doesn't sound like Trail Ridge or Indy (I assume you mean Independence Pass) will be an option for us.
    40* moderate terrain?

Loveland Pass, Berthoud Pass (if it’s freezing low enough), I-70 trailheads like Dry Gulch, Grays and Torrey’s peaks and Coon Hill, as well as Bear Lake in RMNP are probably some of your best bets in a lower snowpack year and yet too early for Independence Pass and Mt Evans to be open.

Post when you’re here and looking for partners. Some of us might be able to join and/or come up with ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    40* moderate terrain?

Ok, 35* then, although I would consider a short 40* low consequence line on good corn snow.