Anyone ever build/use a keg trailer?

I organize a drinking event after department seminars at my university. This involves getting a keg every other week, which means either (a) wheeling a hand truck over to a brew pub near campus, or (b) driving over to a much better brewery a few miles from campus. We have been doing (b) for a long time, but since that brewery is connected to campus by a very nice bike path, I am interested in buying or building a bike trailer that could carry a 1/6 BBL or 1/4 BBL keg (60-90lbs).

Has anyone done this? I know that biking with an extra 90lbs is going to suck, but I expect it will suck significantly less than driving. The bike path is pretty flat, so I'm hoping I can get away with standard gearing and brakes.

I assume a kid trailer cannot carry 90lbs, so I would want something like a touring trailer.

Thoughts? Is this a terrible idea? Should I just weld a hand truck onto a BMX bike like this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ4MKhqvz2w

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    I organize a drinking event after department seminars at my university. This involves getting a keg every other week, which means either (a) wheeling a hand truck over to a brew pub near campus, or (b) driving over to a much better brewery a few miles from campus. We have been doing (b) for a long time, but since that brewery is connected to campus by a very nice bike path, I am interested in buying or building a bike trailer that could carry a 1/6 BBL or 1/4 BBL keg (60-90lbs).

Has anyone done this? I know that biking with an extra 90lbs is going to suck, but I expect it will suck significantly less than driving. The bike path is pretty flat, so I'm hoping I can get away with standard gearing and brakes.

I assume a kid trailer cannot carry 90lbs, so I would want something like a touring trailer.

Thoughts? Is this a terrible idea? Should I just weld a hand truck onto a BMX bike like this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ4MKhqvz2w
    Buy a cheap used kid trailer and install a plywood floor with some anchors for tie down straps for the keg.

I'd expect a bob trailer would handle it, and they're about the right shape to lay a keg down inside of.

Many kid trailers are rated to 100 lbs.

You need one of those bike rickshaws, then you can carry both the keg and people to drink it.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Many kid trailers are rated to 100 lbs.
    Agree. Find a used one on Craigslist.

When my twins were little I used to pull the trailer with them and all of the associated stuff needed for a family day out. That trailer was frequently 100 pounds or more and I did just fine, even enjoyed it most of the time. I was in pretty good shape for a while there

I have a pair of wheels from way back when Cannondale was a trailer company, before they were a bike company. If I remember right the weight rating on them was "more than you'll be comfortable pulling behind you on a bike". I had a beater trailer built up for a while that fell apart hauling firewood and the wheels were rock solid. I need to build another one because wheels that size make for a great yard cart.

Actually... I'm in the market for a kid trailer. Anyone holding? I'll start a WTB thread in gear swap, too.

I used to pile 2 kids and a dog in a Burley and ride to the beach - pretty sure they were well over 100 pounds. Hills sucked but otherwise it was fine.

A kid trailer should hold a 1/2 barrel no problem, especially if you reinforce the floor as noted above.

Or you could spring for one of these: https://surlybikes.com/bikes/ted_trailer

Either way, my biggest concern would be bumping / foam. I think some sort of suspension system should be top priority to do this right!

I've carried a 1/6 bbl in a large backpack for many miles. No need for the trailer. Or just use some webbing to strap the keg to a hand cart and your bike. Keep it simple/cheap.

Whatever trailer you use, it should have 2 wheels. Carrying a lot of weight that sits relatively high doesn't work well on the single wheel touring trailers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My buddy pulled me (about 220#) a mile in his kids’ trailer and the trailer survived. I had a BOB trailer and pulled a pony six or so miles a few times.

I did not realize BOB trailer meant Bring Own Beverage
    . . .

Thanks for all the replies. Ended up with this, for $50*:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180417_153858609.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	232674

Handles pretty well on the bike path, although when I hit a bump the keg jiggles back and forth (Voile straps stretch) and that results in some serious wobbling up front. Also, a two-wheeled trailer would've been nice for wheeling the keg around indoors. Thinking about adding two rails down the center of the basket for the keg to sit on; maybe also making shims to take up extra width.

*except the guy couldn't find the skewer so I had to buy a new one for $22.50....

What university is this and are they hiring ???
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Sounds like you do this often enough that you should spend a weekend drinking beer and building a more permanent solution:
    Name:  1c577ef568001b532f8944056f395488.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  86.6 KB