Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Keep defending our current system that is working sooooo well for everyone. You're doing great!

http://amp.timeinc.net/time/money/51...mpression=true
    Because with bitcoin everyone is a billionaire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Because with bitcoin everyone is a billionaire!
    I gotta start "investing" in this Bitcoin shit. I wanna be a billionaire too.

Invasion of the power snatchers

Public utility districts that own five major hydroelectric dams in Washington’s Mid-Columbia region are coping with huge power demands from cryptocurrency miners that threaten low power rates and the region’s agricultural economy.

The power consumption of BTC is a problem, but it will become less of one over time with further innovation. BTC and/or others will be much cheaper than Visa soon...some already are.

The idea of Bitcoin being untraceable is actually a fallacy. Every transaction ever is recorded on the blockchain. Cash is way better for nefarious activities.

Don't worry buddy, I have a healthy 401k and have diversified with more than just BTC. Besides, why the hell do you care what imvestimg my money in? Why don't you go in a car thread and tell them their SUVs are so wasteful and they could be getting from point a to b in a Prius.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    That's the thing it won't get better..yes the tech will get better that does calculations using less energy, but the miners will just add more of those machines. Scale...it's just a really really resource intensive process..I have a decent handle on data center energy consumption.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

The Columbia Basin used to be lined by Aluminium smelters.
    Then Enron came in and bought all of their electricity contracts in the 90’s.
    Now none of those players even exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    That's the thing it won't get better..yes the tech will get better that does calculations using less energy, but the miners will just add more of those machines. Scale...it's just a really really resource intensive process..I have a decent handle on data center energy consumption.

It's 1993 and you're complaining that the internet can't stream video. Innovation is occurring at a rapid pace. We're in the second inning of this ball game.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sherman.../#1bf04de91bc8

The real issue with these outsiders coming in and using all the power is that here in Chelan, Douglas and Grant counties the PUDs that made this possible were funded locally and were meant to provide affordable power and rural electrification. I have no problem with the local PUDs selling surplus power outside the region. I think these "local" entrepreneurs should have to pay the premium that other buyers of surplus power pay. They should also only get the power they need after true local residential and commercial needs are met.

These bitcoin mines add nothing to the local economy, the article that KQ links says that once these mines are set up they're self running and don't require any workforce to maintain beyond the barest minimum. Even the construction doesn't really add to our community, as they are thrown together in the cheapest way possible and that's only a slight contribution to our local economy. They actually are a drain on our economy with the need to add new infrastructure for local power distribution.

The BTC mining adds nothing of real value, they don't produce anything. It's no different than the .com boom, inflated housing market and mortgage crisis/scheme. A big benefit for a very few people, fuck those guys.

It's 1993 and you're complaining that the internet can't stream video. Innovation is occurring at a rapid pace. We're in the second inning of this ball game.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sherman.../#1bf04de91bc8

Key word.in your article is "trying" until they succeed it's a moot point. Shit uses a ton of energy.

So what happens after the bottom of the 9th? Don't get me wrong - I agree... just like a ball game, this will end.

https://zycrypto.com/central-washing...tricity-usage/

This week, officials in Grant County, Washington, have voted to raise the electricity bills of companies that are classified to be in “evolving” industries. However this seems to be a veiled attempt to curb cryptocurrency mining in the rural county.

The process of mining Bitcoin is extremely power consuming, and of course when so much energy is being used, you will run up the electric bill.  This leaves miners always on the look for the areas with the lowest energy costs.

Grant County Washington is home to the Grand Coulee Dam, which is the biggest hydropower facility in the United States, and provides locals with some of the best power rates in the country...  

If you got a decommissioned saw mill or factory with a big power feed just sitting there its a perfect place to put a bitcoin factory, locally they were just building them in SEACANS
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Welcome JONG,

I think you'll find this action sports lifestyle and general dentistry website is the ideal resource to workshop your bitcoin ideas. Also, once your mining operation is up and running Bobby can sell you the Lambo of your dreams with all that sweet, sweet cryptocurrency you've found.

In the meantime, please send any extra blade servers and box fans to the main office as a token of appreciation for the vast amounts of gratis mentoring and assistance you will no doubt receive here:

Teton Research Gravity
    Attn: New Andrew
    1260 West St, Northwest Corner Storage Closet
    Wilson, WY 83014
    I still call it The Jake.

Blerg
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    I think you need electricity @<2-3c/kWh. Eastern Washington miners purportedly have 1.7c/kWh juice based on the latest I've heard. But I'm not a miner & this may not be the ideal forum for mining intel.
    Another thing I’ve heard is most of the successful bitcoin miners use customized asic chips instead of gpus. Although gpus are still used for some other crypto.

I’m also not a miner.

Quote Originally Posted by rayshow View Post
    Just out of interest, is anyone out there actually mining bitcoin (using your own kit, not renting cloud resources). Just wondered whether it was worth a dabble with my blade servers and GPU banks?
    I have an old TRS-80 you can have........