Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Probably not.

But I can't help but think that corners have to be cut in a lot of places, frame-wise to put together a deal like that with those sorts of components.

NTTAWWT.
    I am quite confident that Mrs. Rootskier will not be hucking to flat or even going mad bomber in rock gardens, so not too concerned. I'll keep an eye on it and if it exploderizes we'll just swap the parts to a new frame.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    But I can't help but think that corners have to be cut in a lot of places, frame-wise to put together a deal like that with those sorts of components.
    Well, FWIW, MSRP on that bike is $3500.

I have a buddy who rides a lot. He had a Mission 2 and put a shitton of miles on it. Replaced the pivots once, other than that, regular maintenance. He got it used for a fraction of any other bike of that quality.

Really, I think all the DB hate is manufactured by "tribe" members and dorky boutique bike owners to justify their $6K+ purchases. I own an Ibis and it's great, but I'd happily ride a well spec'd DB for half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I have a buddy who rides a lot. He had a Mission 2 and put a shitton of miles on it. Replaced the pivots once, other than that, regular maintenance. He got it used for a fraction of any other bike of that quality.

Really, I think all the DB hate is manufactured by "tribe" members and dorky boutique bike owners to justify their $6K+ purchases. I own an Ibis and it's great, but I'd happily ride a well spec'd DB for half the price.
    Yah. DB is manufacturing in a lot of the same plants that other major Taiwan builders are. They're cheap because they have shit brand recognition, no dealer network save REI and limited R&D (which is fine since they just ripped off Santa Cruz's VPP design.)

OP -- YMMV, but I've had good luck with DB support using their website. The very first Release 1s shipped w/ a fucky hub that they sent me a new one, and paid a local shop to rebuild the wheel.

Then I crunched my rear rim doing something stupid. I asked them some specs so I could buy a replacement, and they just said "that sucks, we'll send you a new wheel." Which alleviated the problem of the ugly yellow wheel which is now hanging in the garage.

I've ridden my buddies Yetis and Santa Cruzs on the trail. While I feel a lot faster cause of the rad paint and a bike that cost more than my van, I don't have any more fun on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Most women refer to Beyonce for what's fashionable? Suuuuure.
    Wife: “hey honey, how do I look in this new DH kit?”
    Me: “I think it looks great. Do you want me to run it by Damien before we pull the trigger?”
    Wife: “yea, that would be great. I thought I could just check with Beyoncé, but she hasn’t commented on the FoxHead 2018 line yet.”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

isn't damien a virgin? /thread drift

RootSkier, how much was shipping?

Do they ship to you or a shop?

How long till arrival?

You better put up a bike arrival TR.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Shipping to SLC was $41 via FedEx Ground.

This company, wow. I had it shipped to my office and a super nice guy just called to confirm everything because the shipping and billing address were different. It was $41, same as Dan's (I am in MT). He said it would be here before the weekend.

I think but am not certain that it comes almost completely assembled, and all you have to do is put the wheels and the bar on. The only reason I think this is so is because it is how DB advertises on their own website, at least for some bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    RootSkier, how much was shipping?

Do they ship to you or a shop?

How long till arrival?

You better put up a bike arrival TR.
    Best part about DBs packing recently is that they gave up on zip ties completely. No 1000 zips to cut off. Just a bunch of little velcro things which are useful for cord management or what have you later on. Also nice that they ship with a few extras: shock pump, deraileur hangers, mud guards, stickers, volume spacers, torque wrench, tubeless valves etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    This company, wow. I had it shipped to my office and a super nice guy just called to confirm everything because the shipping and billing address were different. It was $41, same as Dan's (I am in MT). He said it would be here before the weekend.

I think but am not certain that it comes almost completely assembled, and all you have to do is put the wheels and the bar on. The only reason I think this is so is because it is how DB advertises on their own website, at least for some bikes.
    It is. In my experience I needed about a 1/2 turn of cable tension, setup the suspension, and ride. At least that was case on building my friends release a few weeks ago. Mine 2 years ago required some alignment of the disc caliper.

From where I sit, this is the only Diamond Back circle jerk on the internet.

From where I sit, this is the only Diamond Back circle jerk on the internet.
    From where I sit, you're an idiot who thinks these DB bikes are the same ones from Walmart 15 years ago.

Plenty of good things on mtbr forums and respected reviewers like the Loam wolf on DB bikes.

to be fair, i bet he really is an expert on circle jerks.

to be fair, i bet he really is an expert on circle jerks.
    I forget Damien get's mad at companies that don't make any 26" mtbs.

Local bike shop was working on a release the other day and having a terrible time with the pivots (I think) not being flush.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    From where I sit, you're an idiot who thinks these DB bikes are the same ones from Walmart 15 years ago.

Plenty of good things on mtbr forums and respected reviewers like the Loam wolf on DB bikes.
    ROFL. Diamond Back used to be a respected brand back in the 80's and 90's. Then they sold out and went to shit. They basically offer catalog bikes from China.

I forget Damien get's mad at companies that don't make any 26" mtbs.
    If it doesn't come bone stock with 26" wheels, 10-50 8-speed drivetrain on a splined Shimano freehub, 100x20 fork and red MAGA saddle with integrated 8" Trump dildo Damien's not interested.

ROFL. Diamond Back used to be a respected brand back in the 80's and 90's. Then they sold out and went to shit. They basically offer catalog bikes from China.
    Yep. I'm aware of their history. My bar bike is a pretty fucking rad DBRacing Axis Team Titanium.

They were bought and sold a bunch. A few years ago they started making decent bikes again. Are the Yeti cool? No. Are they a great value for your money -- lots of people think yes.

Sorry that you're stuck in 2004 with your 26" wheels, 3x9s, and vbrakes.

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...ase-carbon-4c/
    http://theloamwolf.com/2018/04/13/re...ck-release-5c/
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/diamon...view-2016.html
    https://freehubmag.com/articles/diamondback-release
    https://mbaction.com/review-diamondback-release-5c/

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    If it doesn't come bone stock with 26" wheels, 10-50 8-speed drivetrain on a splined Shimano freehub, 100x20 fork and red MAGA saddle with integrated 8" Trump dildo Damien's not interested.

isn't damien a virgin? /thread drift
    Hahaha

Is the weight for a small clutch really 32 lbs? I'm on a similar search but thinking I would want to sacrifice some travel for a lighter bike. Any other decent options that I should be considering as the clutch appears to be their only dual suspension bike (a requirement)?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Is the weight for a small clutch really 32 lbs? I'm on a similar search but thinking I would want to sacrifice some travel for a lighter bike. Any other decent options that I should be considering as the clutch appears to be their only dual suspension bike (a requirement)?
    Clutch isn't their only. Release is their non-plus sized version. Saves a bit of weight in the wheels.

But yeah, they aren't super light bikes. 32# is probably for a M or L. For comparison, a M Alu bronson is 31#.

Clutch isn't their only. Release is their non-plus sized version. Saves a bit of weight in the wheels.

But yeah, they aren't super light bikes. 32# is probably for a M or L. For comparison, a M Alu bronson is 31#.
    Catch is the plus bike. Clutch is the women's-specific Release and is identical to the Release besides color scheme, being available in an XS size and shipping with 760mm bars and 35mm stem vs. a 780/40 combo on the Release as far as I can tell.

rudy - They don't have a shorter travel FS option that's in the same league as the Release/Clutch. There was an "Affordable Bikes" thread a few months back that had some other good suggestions: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...fordable-bikes

Got altachic's yesterday. The frame is dead sexy in meatspace with really nice lines. No hint of shipping damage. The rear end color is less yellow than it appears in photos, more of a metallic gold and it looks great. All the welds appear to be high quality, pivots solid and flush, etc. 32# with the stock pedals (which are quite decent, actually, though we have no plans to use them) per a digital bathroom scale. So, yeah, not a featherweight, but tubeless will probably drop close to a pound off that. Considering that going lighter with an alloy Bronson or similar will cost you somewhere around $1000/lb I'm not complaining.