Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Get Down with Down (skis)

TD 105 is a slightly shorter slightly more playful k108 186.

Phenomenal in bumps. Tail releases easily. Quick edge to edge. Easy to ride switch, easy to spin, even for someone bad at it. Wife noticed I was riding a lot more switch than usual.

And you can still rail/drive the tips on firm snow.

Really excellent and well balanced ski. Riding it more tomorrow, I hope.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    I ended up mounting at 880 and it felt great today. Don't think the 1cm changed anything too much but didn't want a massive tail behind me. After my first few runs and not remembering how to turn I got my legs under me and they really clicked. Never felt so stable on a ski. Can't wait to get on my cd114s.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Glad it worked out for you. The huge amount of tail had me worried for a second, but they pivot oh-so-easily.

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Glad it worked out for you. The huge amount of tail had me worried for a second, but they pivot oh-so-easily.
    They were amazing by the end of the day. First few runs on them (and of the season for me) were a bit rough. Ran into Leavenworth skier at Baker and let's just say my skiing wasn't the best! Once I was in the groove they were awesome. Topsheet is definitely going to chip bad on em. Already have a bunch of flakes coming off but that's no biggie. Hit a few 5-10 ft drops and some jumps and they absolutely stomp.

Just mounted my cd114s at recommended line. One heel and one toe screw didn't want to "lock" in like the rest. Almost a spinner but not quite. Hoping the epoxy holds them and don't need to put inserts in. I tapped the holes on them and used the hardman orange epoxy. They feel amazingly light for the size combined with the p18s.

Something tells me I'll be buying more skis from Down as long as they keep the big boy sizes up and making great skis!

Heh. Mine haven't chipped, but I did sand down the top edges as I do with every new pair of skis I get. Some slicing has occured, though.

Haven't bought a sub 190 ski since my B-Squads (which definitely were burly enough), so pretty interested in finding out how the FWT style skis work out. I suspect they'll outski me. Your CD114s are the 196s, correct?

(for reference, I'm 5'9", 200lbs, ski like shit, but like to go fast - the skis have to smooth out the kinks from my lack of technique)

Heh. Mine haven't chipped, but I did sand down the top edges as I do with every new pair of skis I get. Some slicing has occured, though.

Haven't bought a sub 190 ski since my B-Squads (which definitely were burly enough), so pretty interested in finding out how the FWT style skis work out. I suspect they'll outski me. Your CD114s are the 196s, correct?
    Correct. They actually feel almost stiffer than the showdowns in the living room flex test. Interested in how they ski once we get some more snow. I haven't bought a sub 195 ski in 4 years. Watching the guys I was skiing with yesterday easily maneuver in the refrozen junk at Baker yesterday made me a bit envious until I got to open them up later in the day. They will definitely take you for a ride if you don't focus on driving them where you want. Learned that quick. If you really power into them they just go.
    I may try that sanding the edges thing. Does it help with the big chunks and gouges?

Probably only on a homeopathic level. The thinking is smoothing down the edges of the topsheet deflects the edge from the other ski. Won't actually help if the edges are razors and hit them at the right angle, though.

What fucks with my mind even more than the length is the lack of tip to tail tapering, a discrepancy of only 7mm sounds much like a twin, but of course may not feel like it.

Anyone get time on the 187 SD 105 yet? That's the ski that has me the most interested.

I may try that sanding the edges thing. Does it help with the big chunks and gouges?
    I've had good luck with a shureform plane/shaver on topsheet edges:

Name:  71XYpSFYidL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  7.6 KB

Practice on a rock ski if you're going to use a Sureform.

[edit] oops! I thought we were talking about p-tex leveling. Never mind.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-20-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Pffft fire away with the sure form! Harmless

(it's not but it's safer than a knife or something)

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I've had good luck with a shureform plane/shaver on topsheet edges:

Name:  71XYpSFYidL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  7.6 KB
    Oh, cool! I was thinking I needed to break out the angle grinder. What's the routine? Like how many passes gets a nice bevel, and do you need to do any epoxy work afterwards?

i've also put a semi-slumped dot of epoxy on a ragged edge to keep it from catching again...just kinda smooth the zone out

i saw these featured on Down's IG this morning

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    i saw these featured on Down's IG this morning
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Brmf9sAFh5B/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
    They sent me a DM asking if they could repost it, figured why not.

they do look sharp

Lucknau... light touch... goal is just to soften the topsheet edge a bit so that the ski edges won't bite so bad. Couple/three passes, not through the topsheet so no sealing reqd.

Also a nice way to rid the ski of topsheet slivers if chipping has already occurred.

Sanding block works, too but is slower.

Apparently Santa got his lists mixed up. I was expecting a lump of coal.
    They look fun. Any reason not to grind a shallow tail notch in that cool tail insert? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1205.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	520.9 KB 
ID:	261520

Sent from my E6810 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by HHTELE View Post
    Apparently Santa got his lists mixed up. I was expecting a lump of coal.
    They look fun. Any reason not to grind a shallow tail notch in that cool tail insert? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1205.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	520.9 KB 
ID:	261520

Sent from my E6810 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Merry Christmas to you!

Go right ahead and grind. That thing is massive.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TGR Forums mobile app
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

how does CD104L ski?

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    how does CD104L ski?
    Hoping I know the answer soon. Just mounted one. Not one pair- one ski. I dropped the drill, and now the bit is bent- I have a 4.1, but not gonna go that way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1546122499815.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	765.5 KB 
ID:	262057

They are replacing my Carbon Converts- it will be interesting to see the difference- same purpose, very different skis.
    Damn sideways pics- not on my phone or computer. They hand flex softer and springier than the Converts, and once the camber is out have longer but more subtle rocker. Especially the tails.

Name:	KIMG1214.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	968.6 KB 
ID:	262058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1215.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	886.0 KB 
ID:	262059

Boot center mark was about 1.5 cm forward of recommended 797. 797 is about 10 cm back from true center- ski measures a hair under 180. Having just mounted some Voille Superchargers for my wife, I really like their system. No marks. Just a note with a web address for straight pull measurements from the tail.

Name:	KIMG1221.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	711.6 KB 
ID:	262060

The top sheets look and feel great.
    The bases look like they could use some work.
    There are some weird striations looking like I side slipped with the tips on rocks. Which I will probably do on day one.
    But, the base is two tone, and not flat- the black is higher than the red.

Name:	KIMG1219.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	471.4 KB 
ID:	262061

Name:	KIMG1218.jpg 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	262064
    I am not concerned about the bases- much better than the completely railed Superchargers. Prolly bring them to the shop to set the base and side bevels anyway.

Anyhow, can't wait to ski them.

Quote Originally Posted by HHTELE View Post
    Hoping I know the answer soon. Just mounted one. Not one pair- one ski. I dropped the drill, and now the bit is bent- I have a 4.1, but not gonna go that way.

Name:	1546122499815.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	765.5 KB 
ID:	262057

They are replacing my Carbon Converts- it will be interesting to see the difference- same purpose, very different skis.
    Damn sideways pics- not on my phone or computer. They hand flex softer and springier than the Converts, and once the camber is out have longer but more subtle rocker. Especially the tails.

Name:	KIMG1214.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	968.6 KB 
ID:	262058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1215.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	886.0 KB 
ID:	262059

Boot center mark was about 1.5 cm forward of recommended 797. 797 is about 10 cm back from true center- ski measures a hair under 180. Having just mounted some Voille Superchargers for my wife, I really like their system. No marks. Just a note with a web address for straight pull measurements from the tail.

Name:	KIMG1221.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	711.6 KB 
ID:	262060

The top sheets look and feel great.
    The bases look like they could use some work.
    There are some weird striations looking like I side slipped with the tips on rocks. Which I will probably do on day one.
    But, the base is two tone, and not flat- the black is higher than the red.

Name:	KIMG1219.jpg 
Size:	471.4 KB 
ID:	262061

Name:	KIMG1218.jpg 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	262064
    I am not concerned about the bases- much better than the completely railed Superchargers. Prolly bring them to the shop to set the base and side bevels anyway.

Anyhow, can't wait to ski them.
    the red doesn’t look higher to meet... it looks like red, which is actually clear ptex. i think your flashlight is shooting light under the red! I’ve confirmed this on my own skis before though can’t be sure in your case obviously

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    the red doesn’t look higher to meet... it looks like red, which is actually clear ptex. i think your flashlight is shooting light under the red! I’ve confirmed this on my own skis before though can’t be sure in your case obviously
    You may be right about that. Even without the light it looked that way, but it may be a visual trick.
    I am not really concerned- I generally ski skis out of the wrappers without checking or doing anything.
    I don't think I am very sensitive.

Got my 114 WAs today. Graphic mount point is precisely at 86.3cm from the tail on both skis. Would've mounted them right away, and started the drilling business,only for the drill to shut up and die 3mm in on the first hole.

Since there might not be too many of these floating around, I'll post some initial, very useful first impressions. Very colored by the fact that my favorite skis are XXLs,Pro Riders,B-Squads,etc.

They are certainly stiff. I'd say green OG B-Squad 189 stiff. I was "warned" by Simen that they'd be stiffer than my last year's 202s,which is true. For comparison's sake, 194 XXLs feel about the same as my 202s, the 114 WAs are about the same as OG B-Squads, while 192 pros are in the middle.

Finish is great.

Can't wait to get on these!

FinishClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20181231_214314.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	262311

Sent from my SM-G920F using TGR Forums mobile app

Got my 114 WAs today. Graphic mount point is precisely at 86.3cm from the tail on both skis. Would've mounted them right away, and started the drilling business,only for the drill to shut up and die 3mm in on the first hole.

Since there might not be too many of these floating around, I'll post some initial, very useful first impressions. Very colored by the fact that my favorite skis are XXLs,Pro Riders,B-Squads,etc.

They are certainly stiff. I'd say green OG B-Squad 189 stiff. I was "warned" by Simen that they'd be stiffer than my last year's 202s,which is true. For comparison's sake, 194 XXLs feel about the same as my 202s, the 114 WAs are about the same as OG B-Squads, while 192 pros are in the middle.

Finish is great.

Can't wait to get on these!

FinishClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20181231_214314.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	262311

They only made these in 186 right?
    Interested to hear more about em. Probably too short for me but look like a badass ski.

They only made these in 186 right?
    Interested to hear more about em. Probably too short for me but look like a badass ski.

189,actually. Will post a quiver pic when mounted!