Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    You made my day ;-)

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Does anyone have experience using Down Skis with tele gear? I just started skiing and was thinking the TD 105s might be a good ski to save up for next season. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pythmere View Post
    Does anyone have experience using Down Skis with tele gear? I just started skiing and was thinking the TD 105s might be a good ski to save up for next season. Thanks!
    @dschane to the white courtesy phone.

He runs Tele gear on multiple Down skis. NTN, I believe.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Yes, they work very well, though generally, I see no reason to distinguish between alpine and tele skis. IMHO, it's better to distinguish among skiing styles for selecting skis.

My experience is on the Countdown and Showdown series. I have very little experience on center mount style skis like the Throwdowns but it's on my list for next season. I'm sure they'll be great if I can mentally adjust to more ski behind me and less in front.

But, if you just started tele skiing, . . . that's another conversation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3036.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	625.4 KB 
ID:	274192

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    i charge my ld102s. They are 186. Personally I can’t see skinnier being more chargey in the BC but who knows
    Bump for additional feedback on this. I've been skiing my LD102 179cm a bunch lately for bigger days. I finally got some real speed on them and, predictably enough, they are a lot harder to handle than their big brothers (CD114L 189cm). I'd feel a lot better on the longer version, any time I wasn't fully centered on the ski things got a bit touchy. It's especially noticeable in the back seat, the tail is relatively short but ultra stiff so the tips pop straight out and I feel like I'm on Rax skis... In variable snow it got a bit spooky, I alternated between surfing on the tails and getting way too close to burying a tip...
    I might need to hop on the CD104L which seems like it would be slightly less stiff and more stable at speed with the bigger shovel. The weight difference is negligible and the LD might just be too stiff for me, it's really a handful if you're not constantly driving the ski hard in bad snow and letting it do its thing while remaining super centered in soft/variable snow. That tail is absolutely unforgiving and the lack of a tail rise has been killing me when exiting drainages in refrozen or wet shit.

Anyone skiing on this year's iteration of the CD104? If so, what is your opinion on it in the resort?

OMG did any of you guys see Bimboes' run at Verbier?
    Last edited by margotron; 03-26-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Tell me about the CD114. Any comprissons to other skis?

Go watch Bimboes run of free ride world tour at Verbier.

Super heroes can ski on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Super heroes can ski on anything.
    Agreed. One thing I've found however, is you can get a good idea of how the ski likes to be skied.

While I can barely dream of skiing like these guys, I stand on a ski very much like he does, and this translates to how I bond with the ski as opposed to how Tabke stands (and how Qs weren't my cup of tea).

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Tell me about the CD114. Any comprissons to other skis?
    I've been on the 196 all season.
    Took a minute to get used to since they ski very light and will deflect if you're not paying attention in hard chop. I was used to heavier metal skis with a more aggressive stance that would just plow. These definitely ski more neutral upright and feel like they have a lot of tail when carving hard on groomed.
    When you get used to driving them hard while remaining neutral they're amazing skis. Ive been daily riding them on everything from ice to deep blower and they seem to be good at everything. On deep days I didn't think at all about tip dive and just went. The tails are there when you need em if you end up backseat. Im a big dude and I love the overall stability they have given me. I don't plan on getting rid of em unless it's for another pair next season. Can't think of any skis that are similar that I've been on unfortunately but I absolutely love them.

Pyro, good to hear you're enjoying them!

Not too many reviews out there, but there are a few you may find useful here: http://www.skipass.com/tests/ski/down/?sort=dd

Either brush up on your french, or enjoy google translate trying to make sense of their freeride ski lingo...

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

SiSt, Geo, or anybody else: super keen to hear more about the SD 105 187. Weight, radius, reviews maybe too?

And congratulations on Mickael B’s outrageous Bec run.

Over in Europe, I was reminiscing about the OG Volkl Gotama. The one from 2005 / 2006 with the solid black top sheets, minimal sidecut, and perfect flex. Minus the massive rooster tail throwing twin, those skis were perfect.

Looking at specs, it looks like the CD105 is a damn close modern replacement. Can anyone with experience on either of those confirm that?

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    Over in Europe, I was reminiscing about the OG Volkl Gotama. The one from 2005 / 2006 with the solid black top sheets, minimal sidecut, and perfect flex. Minus the massive rooster tail throwing twin, those skis were perfect.

Looking at specs, it looks like the CD105 is a damn close modern replacement. Can anyone with experience on either of those confirm that?
    Wanna buy my OG '04 Gotamas? Kidding. I love them, too. I'd like to remount with a modern binding but that just seems stupid. There has to be a number of skis that are better by this point. Amazing that I still ski them, though. And as such, I'd like to find the modern version of that shape that has become a classic that just doesn't die. Looks a lot like the CD104.

As a few have been asking here is a short review of both CD104L and SD105

Skier is 6’4” and #185 nekked.

SD 105 mounted on the line with pivots. I bought these as a gift for my brother and skied them a couple days in various conditions. Heavy skis incredibly damp incredibly straight. The relatively narrow tips make them a bit funky in deeper snow- of course when you go fast enough you get can get on top but don’t expect to stay on top if you are slashing turns. They really shine skiing fast and with confidence through tracked out snow and I found them great in shallow virgin snow- dust on crust, corn, etc. The rocker lets you make modern turn shapes when you want but otherwise you need to do some work to move them edge to edge- the 45m radius makes them essentially straight.

CD105L with dynafit FT. I’ve only had these out in spring touring conditions. There they are a light and maneuverable ski which can arc and slip turns. Feel very stable skiing steep corn. They chatter a lot on more firm snow- but what ski in this class wouldn’t? Reminds me a lot of the bamboo sidewall era dps 105s I had once upon a time.

What size SD105?

What size SD105?
    45m radius makes me think the 202s?

Sorry they were the shorties... 187

Looking on the site I'm not sure of the radius of the 87. Anyway it's quite long

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Sorry they were the shorties... 187

Looking on the site I'm not sure of the radius of the 87. Anyway it's quite long

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk
    The 202s ski very similar to what was said above as well. Faster you go more control they have.
    I've skied moguls on them but holy shit is it a lot of work. They'll flex but you have to monster drive them. I'm 6'6" 250lbs and they're A LOT of ski.

To all the down guys on this thread - I'm sorry. This noob can't receive a PM, otherwise I would never clutter this thread with the following -

@pythmere - I'm selling lightly used pair of TD 105 in a 182 length. If you're interested, PM me. If you can't do that and you're still interested, email me. guitarorchestra10 AT yahoo DOT com
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Just noticed there's a 40% off sale today at www.downskis.com

Those CD114 Special Editions are some of the sexiest skis I've seen. Too much overlap with my QLabs and BGs, but the sale price is really tempting. How do these prices compare to the pre-sale prices?