Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the SD95s and either the Wren or Kartel 98s?

... Thom
    I have SD95s, and I demo'd W98s.
    I didn't click with the Wren 98s, but own and like W108 and BGs (fwiw).

I do like the SD a lot on low snow, groomer days. They rail and reward you when you really push them. Stiff as you'd think they'd be too. Not sure what to compare to as the last narrowish metal ski I owned was '10-11 Mantras. What would you like to know about them?

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    I have SD95s, and I demo'd W98s.
    I didn't click with the Wren 98s, but own and like W108 and BGs (fwiw).

I do like the SD a lot on low snow, groomer days. They rail and reward you when you really push them. Stiff as you'd think they'd be too. Not sure what to compare to as the last narrowish metal ski I owned was '10-11 Mantras. What would you like to know about them?
    Thanks! I think you've told me what I need to know.

I was debating either a low tide ski (SD 95 or CD 104) or yet another ski in the 11x range (CD 114). Frankly, the CD 104's I have mounted with Vipecs are darned near perfect for me - especially in a touring mount.

Not wanting to beat the Vipecs up, I was pondering a matching pair mounted for inbounds. I didn't want to overlook the possibility of the SD 95s, however.

At a Loveland demo last year, I somewhat bonded with Wren 98s, but had a marginal preference for Kartel 98s (in crappy, frozen reef snow), 'coz the tails didn't hang up in bumps as much. Neither ski was instant kismet however, but that might have had to do more with the conditions that day. I also like the BGs (at least pre-asym version). Selling my 14/15 184 BGs might be the dumbest thing I've done in the past few years.

I do my best to save my knees and avoid refrozen snow / bumps, but we live in Colorado and I always seem to succumb to the temptation to check out Pali in hard conditions at the end of the day when I should know better.

So something that rails on groomers is not a priority. The CD 104 sounds as if it fits me better. It's decent in hard snow and is abso-fucking-lutely amazing in mucky, wind-blown crap. I can't overemphasize this latter point. Frankly, the only thing I might want in this ski (for inbounds) might be a bit more beef, but that might ruin the equation. I ain't no stinkin' ski designer after all.

So, this brings me back to my original thoughts - either a skinny one (CD 104) or a fatter Countdown (CD 114 - because you can never have enough powder skis ).

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    The CD 104 sounds as if it fits me better. It's decent in hard snow and is abso-fucking-lutely amazing in mucky, wind-blown crap. I can't overemphasize this latter point.
    yeah my CD102L is also just staggeringly good in the worst sorts of snow conditions. I'm betting the LD90 will hold up pretty well too...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    yeah my CD102L is also just staggeringly good in the worst sorts of snow conditions. I'm betting the LD90 will hold up pretty well too...
    I'm seriously pondering an alpine mount for my CD 104s, and then picking up either CD 104Ls, or LD 102s for my Vipec mount..

I recall the LDs having a longer turn radius.

Then again, the CD 114s might win out. Choices ... they're all good ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Does Down measure length similar to most manufacturers (i.e. pre-molding) or like On3p (post molding)?

I am near positive that it's pre-molding.

Thom, if you have the CD104s already, I'd go with the CD114s.

I am personally biased against lightweight skis because the regular versions of the same ski ride much better to me. But we have heavy snow and very, very rarely get CO/UT's cold smoke conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Does Down measure length similar to most manufacturers (i.e. pre-molding) or like On3p (post molding)?
    I can't find the post, but someone at some point asked me to measure my 179 CD102Ls and they were 178-point-something cms, fairly true to length iirc

not sure if that is helpful

Thinking about a CD 104L for a one pair of touring skis to cover all touring. Wide / rockered enough to be fun in pow? Pretty sure they are narrow enough for corn and the above sounds like they will do fine when things get "interesting". Obviously the 114 would be better in Pow, but then too wide to me for corn/firm. I know, 1 pair for everything isn't the TGR mantra, but I just don't tour enough these days to have a touring quiver...

Thoughts? Reviews on the CD104L in pow?

For reference already have Monster 98's, Qlab's, and a plethora of Pow skis, including Gov's, Atlas, Wren 108's (untried by me), and a buddies Bibby's (too much tail splay). I'm still trying to figure out which works best for this old skool directional skier in the Sierra's where heavier, deeper dumps are common.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    I am near positive that it's pre-molding.

Thom, if you have the CD104s already, I'd go with the CD114s.

I am personally biased against lightweight skis because the regular versions of the same ski ride much better to me. But we have heavy snow and very, very rarely get CO/UT's cold smoke conditions.
    Yup,

I go back and forth, and when I slow myself down, I keep returning to the "heavy" layup as well.

I'm back to last Spring's thoughts - either a 187 CD 104 or 182 CD 114s (yes - a non approved TGR length).

I need to take a long, hard look at where the fat side of my quiver is headed, and this will tell the story.

There aren't really any bad choices, but some are more redundant than others.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I can't find the post, but someone at some point asked me to measure my 179 CD102Ls and they were 178-point-something cms, fairly true to length iirc

not sure if that is helpful
    I just measured my 181 CD 104s and they come in at 179.5 (straight-pull). Not precise, because the bindings were mounted, but close.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-15-2018 at 06:33 AM.
    Galibier Design

Preseason sale is now open. I dressed for the occasion...

Name:  Down tee 2.jpg
Views: 3072
Size:  28.2 KB

...and bagged the backups I planned for.

Posted this in the group but thread, but curious if anyone has experience with the throwdown 105?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

CD 104L or 114L?

Trying to get into this thread - looking at CD 104L group buy with limited ability to post. Sorry for cryptic replies.

Ice coast tele skier - have Line Bacon's now. Looking for new daily driver. Black Crow Captis for ice days currently

Considering the 187 CD 104L or 114L's. We do 2-3 weeks out west/other places depending on work schedule. Still alpine occasionally if in park with my son and was also originally looking at ON3P 96 Kartel's after he picked some up and loves them.

I'm lucky if I get a few true powder days and can't really justify 114's. Love the concept of the lighter snapper versions for trees and the like. Any thoughts?

And hoping to get in on group buy - tried to see if I could order to US, so will tag along. Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Tele27 View Post

I'm lucky if I get a few true powder days and can't really justify 114's. Love the concept of the lighter snapper versions for trees and the like. Any thoughts?

And hoping to get in on group buy - tried to see if I could order to US, so will tag along. Thanks all

Either will be quite a bit more ski than the Line Bacons -- stiffer flex and more directional.

I don't see the point in going with the L-series in your case. The standard series is already quite light by most standards, and will have plenty of snap with the carbon in the layup. I think the L series really only exists for people who want to mount them with a tech binding for touring purposes.

Either will be quite a bit more ski than the Line Bacons -- stiffer flex and more directional.

I don't see the point in going with the L-series in your case. The standard series is already quite light by most standards, and will have plenty of snap with the carbon in the layup. I think the L series really only exists for people who want to mount them with a tech binding for touring purposes.
    Thanks doebedoe - good feedback. I would use these for touring/backcountry and big issue was weight historically with the Bacons. Pretty hard charging style so want a pretty stiff and stable ski along with the weight!

Quote Originally Posted by Tele27 View Post
    Thanks doebedoe - good feedback. I would use these for touring/backcountry and big issue was weight historically with the Bacons. Pretty hard charging style so want a pretty stiff and stable ski along with the weight!
    Ah gotcha. If touring, the L series seems to be the ticket.

I'm getting in for the same this year. Just unsure of length....

Ah gotcha. If touring, the L series seems to be the ticket.

I'm getting in for the same this year. Just unsure of length....
    That's my final debate as well but please do keep me in mind for group buy. I can be counted on to participate, can try to DM you with details once I can. I run 187 Bacons and 181 Captis, leaning to 187, only issue is chutes where I'm full drop knee and the length can be tricky!

I'm going for it, CD114L 189 as a replacement for the salomon mtn labs. The mtn labs are great skis in that bracket of 110+ lighter touring skis, but they ski sooo short! CD114L fits pretty much everything except for the camber in a 189. And they weigh the same. Seems perfect

Quote Originally Posted by McDee View Post
    I'm going for it, CD114L 189 as a replacement for the salomon mtn labs. The mtn labs are great skis in that bracket of 110+ lighter touring skis, but they ski sooo short! CD114L fits pretty much everything except for the camber in a 189. And they weigh the same. Seems perfect
    May want to post this over in the PreSale thread to make sure you're on the list.

I'm on this side of the pond
    By the way Geo, whats up with the tshirts? they aren't being added to the basket.
    Never mind figured it out

Quote Originally Posted by McDee View Post
    I'm on this side of the pond
    By the way Geo, whats up with the tshirts? they aren't being added to the basket.
    Never mind figured it out
    Hey boss. Yeah 3rd party but rocking one now super good quality actually.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Hey boss. Yeah 3rd party but rocking one now super good quality actually.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6464.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	542.6 KB 
ID:	247783
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

^ those available as part of the us group buy? i’d rock a down shirt

Long time TGR forum stalker (and Down ski user) who apparently need to post a few messages in order to be allowed to post in the group buy thread.

My previous Down ski hookup here in BC seems to have gone incommunicado lately and I'm getting anxious about missing out on the pre-season deals.

Anyone know what the deadline is for the group buy? Hoping I can find a friend in Seattle (or closer) and get myself another set of skis shipped there and drive across the border to pick 'em up.

Get Down with Down (skis)

Quote Originally Posted by duesouth View Post
    Long time TGR forum stalker (and Down ski user) who apparently need to post a few messages in order to be allowed to post in the group buy thread.

My previous Down ski hookup here in BC seems to have gone incommunicado lately and I'm getting anxious about missing out on the pre-season deals.

Anyone know what the deadline is for the group buy? Hoping I can find a friend in Seattle (or closer) and get myself another set of skis shipped there and drive across the border to pick 'em up.
    Pm dschane and he will be able to give you what you need