Gore Windstopper Lifespan

My Dynafit Chugach Windstopper Pants, used for two seasons, approximately 100 days of use ski-touring. I like the fit and features, but in the sections of Gore Windstopper laminated fabric (which is alternated with unlaminated softshell, the mesh lining laminated to the inside has completely (100%) delaminated, and the actual Windstopper membrane has comprehensively cracked and delaminated (in beautiful fern-like patterns)to the extent that it is functionally nonexistent (see pic). They still work as basic softshell pants, but with significantly diminished wind and water resistance. I don’t think this an acceptable lifespan, and I’ve emailed Dynafit expressing this, but no response as yet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180410_161427805_iOS.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	232247

I've been wearing a marmot windstopper softshell that I bought used for 4 seasons. Probably ~150 to ~200 days touring, and another 50ish inbounds days. No delamination, though the construction looks different.

I also wash this jacket more than I should, as I typically wear just a base layer and the jacket for anything from 0F to 45F, varying the base layer. It inevitably ends up smelling reeeaall bad, I probably wash it bi-weekly and hang dry.

So yeah, I'd say 100 days is a little lame. FWIW, I have always had more problems with gore membranes delamming from pants than jackets. More movement and therefore abrasion against the legs, I figure?

After about 5 yrs the tape and windstopper membrane delamed at the crotch on a pair of Arcterxy Fury pants, I took them and a Bora 40 pack with the shredded shoulder harness in for repair

Arcterxy fixed the pack and got I a credit on the pants for list the price which was 25% more than I paid SO I bought another pair of softshell pants and another Arcterxy pack

IME I can't afford to buy cheaper products
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    I've been wearing a marmot windstopper softshell that I bought used for 4 seasons. Probably ~150 to ~200 days touring, and another 50ish inbounds days. No delamination, though the construction looks different.

I also wash this jacket more than I should, as I typically wear just a base layer and the jacket for anything from 0F to 45F, varying the base layer. It inevitably ends up smelling reeeaall bad, I probably wash it bi-weekly and hang dry.

So yeah, I'd say 100 days is a little lame. FWIW, I have always had more problems with gore membranes delamming from pants than jackets. More movement and therefore abrasion against the legs, I figure?
    I’ve had more positive experiences with other Windstopper garments, so I’m speculating that the failure on my Dynafit pants is due to the membrane being mismatched with with a fabric that is too elastic, and on panels that are subject to constant stretching. In my experience bonded membranes just don’t hold up to that much (100 days of perhaps 5000’ vertical feet of touring) stretching. I see Gore is promoting a new stretch Goretex (OR and Mammut have new products for 2019), but I’d wager it won’t last worth shit.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    My Dynafit Chugach Windstopper Pants, used for two seasons, approximately 100 days of use ski-touring. I like the fit and features, but in the sections of Gore Windstopper laminated fabric (which is alternated with unlaminated softshell, the mesh lining laminated to the inside has completely (100%) delaminated, and the actual Windstopper membrane has comprehensively cracked and delaminated (in beautiful fern-like patterns)to the extent that it is functionally nonexistent (see pic). They still work as basic softshell pants, but with significantly diminished wind and water resistance. I don’t think this an acceptable lifespan, and I’ve emailed Dynafit expressing this, but no response as yet.
    IME, most issues i've had with leaking or delaminated regular goretex, xcr, proshell, etc... garments were dealt with by directly going through Gore for warranty replacement. Dunno if they have the same policy with windstopper fabric but it 'seems' like they really stand behind the regular wpb fabrics and i've been completely satisfied with their service over the last 25 years of warrantying stuff.

It's not 'easy' though. Gotta contact them, send pics and a bunch of info and then it takes a long time for any replacement items to arrive at your front door (anywhere from 1 to 2 months) but, for me, it has been worth it in the end. It's been a number of years since i've had to warranty any goretex garments though...dunno if the warranty status quo has changed at all.
    Master of mediocrity.

swissiphic has it right. Since it's a delam of the fabric itself, talk to WL Gore directly. They've warrantied gear of mine for this exact issue, even when the manufacturer went under and no longer existed! Unlike some other companies (cough HELLY HANSEN cough) Gore stands behind their gear.