Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Gun Tech Talk

Holy cow, are those asphalt revolvers! If so I want one!
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/suspect...rnia-shootout/

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    Holy cow, are those asphalt revolvers! If so I want one!
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/suspect...rnia-shootout/
    Solid! Where have they been hiding the high capacity assault revolvers@! 😂😂😂👍

Stomping it!

Young sharpshooter

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

She is good
    watch out for snakes

Dang

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

Gun Tech Talk

BUMP

bumping this thread because the GUNS !!!!! thread in Padded Room really ought to be moved to PolyAss.

This is a better thread.

Last edited by Harry; 04-11-2021 at 01:59 PM.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Where is the ammunition? Last year it was the "proud boy" calibers that were scarce, now it seems like it is all center fire ammunition that is in short supply even the stuff made in the former East Block. The shortage may cut into my monthly target practice with my Fudd weapons. Brother can you spare a few 30-06 or 30-30 rounds?

I decided to buy an extra box of rounds for deer/elk last year for my .308. Glad i did. Hopefully the scope is still true, I've got 18 rounds to get me through this hunting season. I've been scouring for boxes.
    I work with a few ammo brands at work, they said estimated '22 for leveling out, unless it keeps up at this rate. They are filling backorders from ~9-12 months right now, if not more.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I decided to buy an extra box of rounds for deer/elk last year for my .308. Glad i did. Hopefully the scope is still true, I've got 18 rounds to get me through this hunting season. I've been scouring for boxes.
    I work with a few ammo brands at work, they said estimated '22 for leveling out, unless it keeps up at this rate. They are filling backorders from ~9-12 months right now, if not more.
    My kid was in a similar situation with ammo ( in 7mm-08), although he may have only had about 5 rounds left to get him through various tags. He was getting super nervous but I was able to find about 5 boxes recently.

Looking to get into hunting after a 10ish year hiatus and trying to be proactive with how crazy the gun/ammo market is. Back then I just used my dad's guns so my knowledge on guns is relatively low. This year I'm going to start with deer but will probably be seeking out elk next season. With this in mind, is there a rifle that will do both reasonably well? Also would like to get something pretty "standard" in hopes of the gun and ammo being more readily available. Guns that come to mind are the 30-06 and the .270 or .300 win mag. Any recommendations/advice? Total gun jong here

Where are you located and what is your budget for scope and optic? The three calibers you mentioned plus .308 would be my top contenders for an all 'rounder for deer and elk for the novice, with .270 bringing up the rear due to the slightly smaller caliber leaving for a slim margin of error. 7mm rem mag would be a good contender as well, however more expensive ammo (relatively speaking). I'm still shooting a $500 Savage Trophy hunter 11 in .308 and it is accurate and good enough for me right now. Before the craze i was planning on buying a nicer 7mm rem mag, but now I'm sitting tight with what I have due to ammo and firearm shortages.

almost any package rifle/scope combo in the ~500-1000 range will suit you just fine, or bare rifle in the same range, plus scope.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Gun Tech Talk

I was in the same boat but just managed to scrounge up some practice ammo. One more box of copper 270 win ammo and a few more boxes of steel shot for upland hunting and I'll be set.
    Last edited by John_B; 04-13-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Where are you located and what is your budget for scope and optic? The three calibers you mentioned plus .308 would be my top contenders for an all 'rounder for deer and elk for the novice, with .270 bringing up the rear due to the slightly smaller caliber leaving for a slim margin of error. 7mm rem mag would be a good contender as well, however more expensive ammo (relatively speaking). I'm still shooting a $500 Savage Trophy hunter 11 in .308 and it is accurate and good enough for me right now. Before the craze i was planning on buying a nicer 7mm rem mag, but now I'm sitting tight with what I have due to ammo and firearm shortages.

almost any package rifle/scope combo in the ~500-1000 range will suit you just fine, or bare rifle in the same range, plus scope.
    Located in Spokane. Probably good to start compiling a list of rifles that would work as I'm assuming used is a good way go? Craigslist? Haven't quite figured out a budget, looking for a something that will last but obviously I don't need something that's top of the line.
    Last edited by brundo; 04-13-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Craigslist doesn't permit sale of firearms if I'm not mistaken. Pawn shops are good, but do some youtube/internet research on what to look for.

If I were buying a new rifle tomorrow, and wanted a rifle I would be content with for the rest of my life for nearly all big game in North America, I'd buy a Tikka T3x Lite/superlite/hunter or the new one in Veil camo. 7mm rem mag, but if ammo stays the way it is, .308/.30-06/.300WM for slightly easier acquisition. Get high quality rings and bases, and an optic similar to a Vortex Viper (any of the big names, in the $600 range will suffice). Get it dialed in, and not need to worry about anything for the next 20years.

Craigslist doesn't permit sale of firearms if I'm not mistaken. Pawn shops are good, but do some youtube/internet research on what to look for.

If I were buying a new rifle tomorrow, and wanted a rifle I would be content with for the rest of my life for nearly all big game in North America, I'd buy a Tikka T3x Lite/superlite/hunter or the new one in Veil camo. 7mm rem mag, but if ammo stays the way it is, .308/.30-06/.300WM for slightly easier acquisition. Get high quality rings and bases, and an optic similar to a Vortex Viper (any of the big names, in the $600 range will suffice). Get it dialed in, and not need to worry about anything for the next 20years.
    I'd agree with that, and it's almost exactly what I did, right down to the scope. Although I recently picked up a new scope with an illuminated reticle. An early morning storm day last fall had my old eyes straining to find the cross hairs.

As far as 7mm RM ammo, I've been lucky enough to find 10 boxes or so this winter just by occasionally checking a few retailers websites.

www.ammoseek.com seems to help. Prices are getting a little silly though when you can find ammo to buy. For used guns online, you might check www.zidaho.com. They have firearms classifieds but not sure if north ID folks use it much. Also see some decent options in the NW on www.rokslide.com forums. I'd say 30-06 ammo "might" be the easiest to get right now out of the classic calibers but it's always changing.

So the gun looks to be about $700 and the scope $600, so a total of $1300? I guess maybe I do have a little bit of a budget. I was thinking I could get something for around $700 combined but maybe I need to rethink that.

Looks like Cabela's sells used guns. They actually have a Savage 11 7mm for $450 which seems reasonable.

Oh yeah, I kind of gave you the "no real budget, budget" rifle, I really like my savage trophy hunter XP, $550 out the door at cabelas and provided me an antelope at ~360 and a buck at ~200 last year.
    as long as its 7mm rem mag and not 7mm-08(sure that would still be a fine choice) that sounds like a good deal.

brundo-this might be worth checking out: https://www.zidaho.com/index.php?a=2&b=29711

That’s a good deal in these times.

That’s a good deal in these times.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    brundo-this might be worth checking out: https://www.zidaho.com/index.php?a=2&b=29711
    Thanks. I talked to a couple friends and they like it as well. Might try and snag it. Since its a used gun, is there much of a worry of it not shooting straight? Is that something I should check buying a used gun? If so, how? Appreciate you guys helping out the jong here

Remove the bolt and look down the barrel, see anything besides a clean, smooth bore, back out. Cycle the action, should be clean and smooth, same with the trigger pull. take a friend with you if you don’t know much,

Glock 20. 10mm beast. Even 9mm with buffaloes bore outdoorsman gets it well done.

Glock folks — I inherited a 1987 Glock 17, serial # in the low 700s. I think this is a Gen 1, and maybe in the first year of import? I’m really a shotgun guy, but will probably take is to a decent local gun shop/range and have someone take a look at it. Any specific things I should be watching out for? F-I-L was pretty conscientious with his tools, looks like it’s in good shape, original Tupperware and two pre-ban magazines and plastic loading tool. Internet shows some love for early import 17s, but mainly safe queens for collectors me thinks. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Probably shoots nicely. Might be a collectors item at this point - if you want a shooter maybe see if you can trade it in towards a newer 17? If just for occasional plinking, I'd keep it and enjoy it.