Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Gun Tech Talk

how about a game of what is it?

backstory, my old man was in the railroad. found this near a trestle in eastern WA when he was doing survey work prior to replacing it.

- found in 74/75???
    - cap and ball
    - non functional but was at one point.
    - think missing lower arm to pack powder/ball

GO!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5064.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	237747

Name:	IMG_5063.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	237748

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post

backstory, my old man was in the railroad. found this near a trestle in eastern WA when he was doing survey work prior to replacing it.

- found in 74/75???
    - cap and ball

GO!!!

Looks like a Colt to me. Here's an 1851 Navy (not an exact match, but pretty darn close):

Name:  799px-Colt_Navy_51_Squarebeck.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  48.5 KB

EDIT: OTOH, poking around, there are Remingtons that look almost exactly like that too. And your trigger guard doesn't match either. So who knows?

I'll ask my father in law, who is Antique gun collector.

Quote Originally Posted by splittin View Post
    Yes. The cartridge was meant to reach out accurately.
    I think the question was, can you hit a milk jug at 1000 not the cartridge?

I'm okay, I've shot out to 1000 meters in comps, middle of the pack with customized factory rifle in 308. I've dumped coyotes at 600 yrds plus with a couple different rifles and calibers. I can't say I'd ever take a shot at a big game animal at 1000 yrds know what it takes to read the wind and keep it in the V-bull in controlled situations. But good luck to you, practice lots.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Gun Tech Talk

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    I think the question was, can you hit a milk jug at 1000 not the cartridge?

I'm okay, I've shot out to 1000 meters in comps, middle of the pack with customized factory rifle in 308. I've dumped coyotes at 600 yrds plus with a couple different rifles and calibers. I can't say I'd ever take a shot at a big game animal at 1000 yrds know what it takes to read the wind and keep it in the V-bull in controlled situations. But good luck to you, practice lots.
    I shoot sub 3/4 MOA 5 shot at 1060yd with a 308 custom precison AR all day with handloads and less with a bolt. 42.75 MOA drop at 2580fps muzzle and SD of 5 on the gasser. Ill let you convert to feet.

A 338 will have less drop and buck the wind much better.
    Last edited by splittin; 06-02-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post

- found in 74/75???
    - cap and ball

GO!!!

I think this might be a Whitney Navy revolver

Name:	FHG-1672-2.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	237768

Whitney Navy
    More cowbell!!!

Thanks Spud. That’s it, minus the rammer/cylinder pin

.36 cal and not .38 as I thought all theses years

I shoot sub 3/4 MOA 5 shot at 1060yd with a 308 custom precison AR all day with handloads and less with a bolt. 42.75 MOA drop at 2580fps muzzle and SD of 5 on the gasser. Ill let you convert to feet.

A 338 will have less drop and buck the wind much better.
    So you're in the top half of 1% shooters in the USA, should be seeing your name in all the comp lists and sponsored shooting shows in no time.
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Gun Tech Talk

So you're in the top half of 1% shooters in the USA, should be seeing your name in all the comp lists and sponsored shooting shows in no time.
    Haha. You dont know anything.
    Last edited by splittin; 06-04-2018 at 04:28 AM.

I just bought a new rifle today. I was going to break it in tomorrow, but wanted to get the community's consensus regarding as to whether or not the uber attention to detail in breaking a barrel is really necessary. I would appreciate any thoughts everyone might have.

^ I'm always OCD about it, but secretly suspect that it's a waste of time, especially given my hobby level.

What type of barrel is it? I find that pencil thin hunting barrels and thin barrels wrapped in carbon require more attention then my heavier barrels that I throw on my comp guns.

As far as cleaning goes a lot will come down to what you’re shooting down it. I would clean it after 10 rounds and then progressively longer strings.

I have comp barrels that I only clean every 3-400 rounds once groups start opening up.

At the end of the day if your gun isn’t shooting as well as you think it should give it a clean. If that doesn’t fix it then move on to the next variable.

In my opinion if you are cleaning your barrel and seeing no change in accuracy you are wasting your time.

Haha. You dont know anything.
    I shoot sub 3/4 MOA 5 shot at 1060yd with a 308 custom precison AR all day with handloads and less with a bolt.

Okay, I'll bite. Prove it. I'm a member on a gun board that have challenges for this at 100 yards and 300 yards. The challenge has been running since 2013, in 100 yards the total number of successful completions is around 20. Not one is a gas gun. This from guys that have shot for Canada in world championships and won etc.

The rules:
    I got this idea for a challenge from another forum and thought it was a good idea. The idea is to shoot five 5 shot groups on the same paper and on the same day. It doesn't really matter about the point of impact. But all 5 groups must be on the same paper. Once you have completed this you may post the pictures here. Here is what you will need to do before you post your pics.
    -take a picture of your rig just as it was when you were shooting the groups. Including what you used for a rest.
    -take a picture of your target paper with all 5 groups visible in the picture. The group sizes must be written on the paper beside each group. **The paper must only have the 5 "official" groups on it.
    -All groups must be under .500" @ 100 yards/meters
    -Take a close up of your smallest group of the 5 with the measurement beside it along with the caliper showing the group size.
    -When measuring your groups be sure to measure the groups properly. This is a good example of how to measure your group. Measure the extreme outside spread of your group and then subtract the bullet diameter

Shouldn't be a problem for someone who shoots 3/4 MOA all day at 1060 yards.
    fire

rails are for trains

www.theguideshut.ca

I shoot sub 3/4 MOA 5 shot at 1060yd with a 308 custom precison AR all day with handloads and less with a bolt.

Okay, I'll bite. Prove it. I'm a member on a gun board that have challenges for this at 100 yards and 300 yards. The challenge has been running since 2013, in 100 yards the total number of successful completions is around 20. Not one is a gas gun. This from guys that have shot for Canada in world championships and won etc.

The rules:
    I got this idea for a challenge from another forum and thought it was a good idea. The idea is to shoot five 5 shot groups on the same paper and on the same day. It doesn't really matter about the point of impact. But all 5 groups must be on the same paper. Once you have completed this you may post the pictures here. Here is what you will need to do before you post your pics.
    -take a picture of your rig just as it was when you were shooting the groups. Including what you used for a rest.
    -take a picture of your target paper with all 5 groups visible in the picture. The group sizes must be written on the paper beside each group. **The paper must only have the 5 "official" groups on it.
    -Take a close up of your smallest group of the 5 with the measurement beside it along with the caliper showing the group size.
    -When measuring your groups be sure to measure the groups properly. This is a good example of how to measure your group. Measure the extreme outside spread of your group and then subtract the bullet diameter

Hold on while I check the spare
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Name:  test.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  77.8 KB

Looks like she wasn't so worried about wolves so she jumped right to the 10mm for polar bears.

Very happy with this.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by spudbumkin View Post
    I just bought a new rifle today. I was going to break it in tomorrow, but wanted to get the community's consensus regarding as to whether or not the uber attention to detail in breaking a barrel is really necessary. I would appreciate any thoughts everyone might have.
    The below is from Randall, a smith in Los Angeles, Mexico, whose specialty is precision bolt actions and the AR-15 platform.

The need for break-in in inverserly proportional to the quality of the barrel.
    Premium quality barrels need very little break-in work.

I chamber a lot of bartlein and Krieger barrels.
    I tell my customers to wipe them out before the first shot with a patch just to make sure there are no chips or honing swarf in the barrel.
    Then go to the range and zero the scope.
    It matters not if you fired just 5 rounds for the day or 50 rounds for the day.
    When you get home, clean ALL the copper out of the barrel.
    I recommend wipe-out and patches.
    No brush is really needed.
    Just clean until no more blue is coming out on the patch and make sure you are not using a brass or bronze jag that is giving you a false copper sign.
    Stick with a stainless or nickel plated brass or plastic jag.

Clean the barrel like that after you first 2 or 3 range sessions.
    After that, clean the barrel when accuracy drops off, usually around 300 rounds or so
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

The rules:

Yes, let me get right on that so I can prove myself to some guy on the internet who has trust issues. If you dont believe me I dont give a damn.

Last week, 308 @ 510yd. Ill let you calc moa tactical range warrior. All you get jong.

Name:	IMG_6317.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	532.8 KB 
ID:	238294

Quit bickering and bragging, bitchez. This thread was supposed to be free of that shit.

---

Hey... is this the right place to ask advice on archery? My old-ass bow should be replaced. What should I buy? 300+ fps, less than $500, light weight. Deer/elk primary prey.

Last week, 308 @ 510yd. Ill let you calc moa tactical range warrior.

Impressive. What sighting in tips can you provide for 3x9 scope on a 30-06 Browning A bolt used more in the field than on the range?

Try getting a lot closer?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Gun Tech Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Impressive. What sighting in tips can you provide for 3x9 scope on a 30-06 Browning A bolt used more in the field than on the range?
    There are many factors that you need to look at, but more magnification is not necessarily better. You have to find what is right for you at the distance in the field you plan to hunt. I am at ~12x at 1k yd and others in my group are from 8x to 16x.

If you are looking for accuracy, reloading is the way to go.

Otherwise get quality ammo, different brands, different bullets and shoot 5 shot groups at 100yd. Some shoot 3 if expense is a concern. See what grain/bullet the rifle likes and get your dope out to your specified range. You will likely be shooting cold bore so that is what you do at the range. Let the barrel cool between shots.

Nosler is good stuff and anything with berger bullets is also top notch.

https://www.nosler.com/30-06-springfield

Aim small and shoot small.

Yes, let me get right on that so I can prove myself to some guy on the internet who has trust issues. If you dont believe me I dont give a damn.

Last week, 308 @ 510yd. Ill let you calc moa tactical range warrior. All you get jong.

and yet you replied
    fire

rails are for trains

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Quit bickering and bragging, bitchez. This thread was supposed to be free of that shit.

---

Hey... is this the right place to ask advice on archery? My old-ass bow should be replaced. What should I buy? 300+ fps, less than $500, light weight. Deer/elk primary prey.
    The best advice that I can give you is to go to an archery shop and shoot as many as possible. Walk out with the one that you feel that you shoot the best and is the most comfortable.