Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Gun Tech Talk

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    It was fine till wooley came along.

Conundrum, if you’re ever in the SLC, grab your buddy I dropped the skis off to and let’s share a bottle of something. He seemed like a nice guy. I’m buying.
    For sure. He said the same about you.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    It was fine till wooley came along.
    yer right, america doesnt have a gun problem
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Any fellas here load .338lm with redding bushing dies? Plan on lapua brass and need to have an idea on the bushing size to grab.

Quote Originally Posted by splittin View Post
    Any fellas here load .338lm with redding bushing dies? Plan on lapua brass and need to have an idea on the bushing size to grab.
    Just curoius, what are you doing with your 338? I do reload but don't use those dies.

Gun Tech Talk

Plates to 2.5k yd and elk to <1000yd.

Quote Originally Posted by splittin View Post
    Plates to 2.5k yd and elk to <1000yd.
    Where are you doing that? What bullet you using?

Can you hit a milk jug from a mile away?
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    Where are you doing that? What bullet you using?
    300gr hybrids and BLM land

Yes. The cartridge was meant to reach out accurately.

Marksmenship. Just read a story about a captured German officer accusing a Ranger squad of executing his men because so many had been shot in the head. The truth was that it was superior marksmanship. Every time a head popped up from a German foxhole a Ranger put a bullet through it.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post

NO POSTING OF NSFW CONTENT.
    Dafuq you hate freedom for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    Yes
    For real? That’s quite the feat if true.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    For real? That’s quite the feat if true.
    Im not much good beyond shotgun distance. My old man could get good groups at 1000 yards with some of his 308 and 7mm remmag handloads back in the 80s. The lapua round is seriously badass 3x that isnt unpossible. I got a precision shooter buddy that shoots 338 through a savage 110 at 5ft by 2ft white painted steel plate and gets center mass groups at a mile on his rangefinder. I can hit the dirt in front and the hillside behind reliably lol

Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Im not much good beyond shotgun distance. My old man could get good groups at 1000 yards with some of his 308 and 7mm remmag handloads back in the 80s. The lapua round is seriously badass 3x that isnt unpossible. I got a precision shooter buddy that shoots 338 through a savage 110 at 5ft by 2ft white painted steel plate and gets center mass groups at a mile on his rangefinder. I can hit the dirt in front and the hillside behind reliably lol

I practice out to 1k and some to 1500. I know the lapua round well. A mile is a looong way. To hit a milk jug at that distance is high level competition shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I practice out to 1k and some to 1500. I know the lapua round well. A mile is a looong way. To hit a milk jug at that distance is high level competition shooting.
    In that movie that kyle guy shot the bad guy at like a kilometer with a 300 winmag. Thats wayyyyyyyyy longer than 1000 yards it can be done. Lol.

I dont know for certain it was a square mile I was on the 4wheeler downrange moving the plate. After one throwaway shot he hit it 3x on a new to him load. Gave me 5 shots of which i went 1 high and 2 low and gave him 2 back. We hunt chukar occasionally but I never did get invite back to shoot the big gun. That shit is essppensive.

Bunny Don't Surf

Ok

A 5x2 target would be reasonably visible in your scope at that range, a milk jug would be a little harder to see
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

A 5x2 target would be reasonably visible in your scope at that range, a milk jug would be a little harder to see
    That depends on the scope mag and clarity. Max zoom at 1060yd with a 308 for me is 12x on a MOA 10"x10" with a ATACR that has 35x.

In that movie that kyle guy shot the bad guy at like a kilometer with a 300 winmag. Thats wayyyyyyyyy longer than 1000 yards it can be done. Lol.

I dont know for certain it was a square mile I was on the 4wheeler downrange moving the plate. After one throwaway shot he hit it 3x on a new to him load. Gave me 5 shots of which i went 1 high and 2 low and gave him 2 back. We hunt chukar occasionally but I never did get invite back to shoot the big gun. That shit is essppensive.

We were pinging 12”x14” steel gongs at around 1000 meters with 300 win mags and 308’s. Some were better than others. They were Rem 700 actions built up as sniper rifles. The glass really made a difference. The guy with the US Optics scope on the 300 was hard to beat. The cool thing was the weather was perfect to watch the vapor trail of the bullet. It was awesome to watch how high the 308 path was compared to the 300 wm.

a kilometer with . Thats wayyyyyyyyy longer than 1000 yards
    The metric system really isn't that complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hitting a mile isn't really that hard it's just really expensive. You need quality rifle, scope, spotting scope and unless you have a range that already has targets out and a distance you also need a quality rangefinder. That all adds up to a lot of money!! I've had my son shooting out to a target not much bigger than a milk jug at 1400 meters with a 243 using 115gr DTACs at 7000 ft. He never hit it but was really close. A milk jug at a mile will be hard to see, would have to paint it fluorescent orange, and need good conditions regardless of quality of optics. When it's warm out, and the mirage is bad, probably won't see the milk jug because sometimes you can't use more than 20x on your optic. It's a lot of fun shooting out that far.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Took me a couple times to figure out how to make a link.
    This guy could hit a milk jug at a mile!

More cowbell!!!

A milk Jug at a mile is about 1/4 MOA system and shooter, Not easy, but far from unreasonable either. As AK said, expensive. I’d rather go Heli-skiing

Quote Originally Posted by spudbumkin View Post
    Took me a couple times to figure out how to make a link.
    This guy could hit a milk jug at a mile!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6332.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	237672

Orange is a 338 edge and a 50 for good measure.