re-sizing Skins that are too long

I got G3 alpinist skins sized for a 190, I need to make them fit a 166 so how to resize??

do I cut the tails off a-la-rog and buy a tail kit cuz end user will want a tail strap

or do I cut the fancy tip hooks off, make a tip loop and just fold over the excess the old way ?

the former will cost me 25$, the latter will cost me almost nothing and I would probably still be able to use the skins on a longer ski ... anything I am missing ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Line them up on your 166cm skis both ways and check if the skin is still wide enough everywhere. E.g. I am resizing a skin cut for 18x cm skis for 171cm, and I believe I only have the option of cutting off the tip, not the tail, if I want the skin to be full-width. Doesn't help that the previous owner of these skins trimmed them when they were on the skis backwards. Don't have the skins on backwards.

Other than that...do you like the tip hooks?

"or do I cut the fancy tip hooks off, make a tip loop and just fold over the excess the old way ?"

You said it. Make the tip hooks out of old wire coat hanger. Gorilla tape to keep the tip loops on

I too vote cut off tip portion and use old style loops. Black Diamond probably still sells them.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    do I cut the tails off a-la-rog and buy a tail kit cuz end user will want a tail strap
    cut the tails off and tell the end user they're a fucking idiot.

done.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Line them up on your 166cm skis both ways and check if the skin is still wide enough everywhere. E.g. I am resizing a skin cut for 18x cm skis for 171cm, and I believe I only have the option of cutting off the tip, not the tail, if I want the skin to be full-width. Doesn't help that the previous owner of these skins trimmed them when they were on the skis backwards. Don't have the skins on backwards.

Other than that...do you like the tip hooks?
    good point ^^ I didnt think of which shows its good to bounce idea's off others

I always hated rubber stretchers but I like using tip loops, I also like using the G3 tip hooks but I don't like that they don't allow you to adjust skin length at the shovels of the ski, add to that the G3 one-piece-tail-strap some of which had a stupid little bump at the juncture of skin/strap which had to be cut off and i've seen G3 skins be too short after just replacing a broken tail strap

In my situation I can cut the tail or the tip, the skin was sized W2W for a a lotus 120 ( I have 2 sets of alpinists sized for lotus 120's ) so I'm pretty sure its gona fit a 166 Liberty Genisis which is only 116 under foot,

I will probably make a tip loop by crimping SS aircraft cable to size

TG is rog ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-14-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Dentists just buy new skins.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

New BD tip loop kits or a new STS tail are both about $25. G3 tip loops (where you fold over the skin) are about $15. Climbing skins direct sells a tip wire for $9.

I'm in mutherfucking narthern Canada eh?

no dentists up here so its common to pull a bad tooth and become a slackjawed/toothless local

they look good but after exchange/duty/shipping/ brokerage fees/ fuel surcharge to feed the sled dogs ... that 9$ tip wire would end up net costing about 50$ delivered to my PO box

I got some aircraft cable kicking around so all I need is the cable joiners that you crimp, maybe a little heat shrink ... bob's yer uncle

Then I guess it's the No Van company choice.

50$ may be a certain amount of Hyperbole but you folks seem to be able to buy all kinds of stuff down there and the shipping is free but shipping is never free to Canada and there could be a shwack of other charges that usually make buying in America not really worth it

I bought a pair of 661 AXO dually bike shoes on sale for 39 US $, by the time they were on my feet it cost 112 CAN$ for a shoe that list for 159CAN$

I heard of a mtn biker on NSMB that ended up paying >300$ for a T-shirt

Hey XXX'er how much time do you have? If all else fails I can probably figure out a ghettoworks solution. Workin' till next week, then need a week to let the brain cool down from overheating...long work winter.

Was thinkin', cut off tail, rivet/aquaseal on some webbing, brainstorm design a new industry standard tail clip that incorporates a powerstrap cam lock thingy for webbing length adjustment, done.
    Master of mediocrity.

You can drill out or grind the rivets off easy enough
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

you ^^ talking about the rivets holding the tail leash on?

The early Alpinist were attached with rivets but both my pairs of Alpinist have the tail leash bonded into the end of the skin so all you can do is cut them off

I fixed a pair of Alpinist for Angle Parking with a bonded tail leash that had a bump at the skin/leash juncture so I had to also cut that bump off to rivet the new tail kit on ... the skin ended up very short with the clip on the last hole

I also had to cut my k2/pomoca skins. I attached tail strap with sewing machine and nylon string making a rectangle with crest inside it. Works like a charm for 2 seasons already

you ^^ talking about the rivets holding the tail leash on?

The early Alpinist were attached with rivets but both my pairs of Alpinist have the tail leash bonded into the end of the skin so all you can do is cut them off

I fixed a pair of Alpinist for Angle Parking with a bonded tail leash that had a bump at the skin/leash juncture so I had to also cut that bump off to rivet the new tail kit on ... the skin ended up very short with the clip on the last hole
    yeah was thinking coat with aquaseal and then rivet for redundancy. Could actually get it flush if you add webbing to the end of the skin then aquaseal the whole mess in a tapered looking beavertail design. I bet it would come out looking pretty clean if done carefully and strong with that aquaseal?
    Master of mediocrity.

Tips off, sew some webbing, and insert coat hanger. Works for splitboards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R0013309.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	432.7 KB 
ID:	232124

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    when my wife was brand new to touring she had some beater rossi twin tip skis and frame bindings and put her skins on backwards, that was a funny 5 minute tour
    I did that on some JJ's with the freaky neon topsheets but that was the season I quit all booze and dope for training purposes ... I was out of my mind eh

I'm just gona make some loops cuz with loops I can fold the end of the skin over to make the skin looooong or short ... just like before all them chi chi tip treatments

If you cut the tips off, don't just fold them over and rely on the glue/glue interface - annoyingly wants to come undone. instead, fold over and have them sewn (or use a speedy stitcher and save a few bucks). Aggravation eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    If you cut the tips off, don't just fold them over and rely on the glue/glue interface - annoyingly wants to come undone. instead, fold over and have them sewn (or use a speedy stitcher and save a few bucks). Aggravation eliminated.
    Industrial staples work too.
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Yeah my BD's always un-stick themselves when I hang em to let the glue dry ... ductape for the win !

Its end of the season so nobody in town has tip loops or skin acessories left if they ever did stock them SO I had some 1/16 aircraft cable & the heat shrink kicking around, for a 3$ pack of cable clips I made a new pair of tip loops, one can buy all this stuff at the local HW store & make a lot of these loops for very cheap in any size .

cut the cable with diagonal cutters , slide the heat shrink over the cable crimp in a vise, toaster oven to shrink the black tubing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiploop2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	592.4 KB 
ID:	232272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiploop2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	696.7 KB 
ID:	232274  

Its end of the season so nobody in town has tip loops or skin acessories left if they ever did stock them SO I had some 1/16 aircraft cable & the heat shrink kicking around, for a 3$ pack of cable clips I made a new pair of tip loops, one can buy all this stuff..............
    Tight, Al, very tight. Nice work.
    Master of mediocrity.

SO I cut the hooks off and folded over 4" of skin which puts the tail clip on the 2nd hole on the leash which still leaves a whole bunch of leash, so this skin could still be used on a whole shwack of skis, which kind of makes you wonder about the versatility of these chi chi tip treatments and for shits and giggles that cut off G3 tip hook weighs 24 grams, probably much more than a cable tip loop

Since the 120 is a pintail the skin seems to fit the 116mm Genisis pretty much perfect with no trimming and it only cost me the 3$ for some SS cable clamps SS cable clamps ... twas the way to go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	genisis1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	933.5 KB 
ID:	232697  

...which kind of makes you wonder about the versatility of these chi chi tip treatments and for shits and giggles that cut off G3 tip hook weighs 24 grams, probably much more than a cable tip loop
    chi chi for you is game changer for me.

No comparison while bashing alders and shnarb. The loop style tip attachments ALWAYS get knocked off the ski tip, the G3 'chi chi' grips the tip like a pitbull's chomp on yer leg.

24 grams = worth its weight in gold, imo/ime.
    Master of mediocrity.