dolomites resources

If there is one thing we like doing at my house when we are not on expedition, it's planning an expedition.

Thinking of the Dolomites next February. The meat of the trip will be hut to hut, self guided. I am quite sure we'll grab an apartment and do some day touring. If we hit a storm cycle, I am sure we'll log some time riding lifts.

Actually, I am quite sure that no matter what, we will be riding lifts. Seems like that's the nature of the region.

I just ordered this.

Any thoughts on good maps, other guide books, GPS tracks, etc...?

Quote Originally Posted by HHTELE View Post
    Actually, I am quite sure that no matter what, we will be riding lifts.
    Do you have a solid sponsor for this expedition? Have you approached Bunny Industries?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

If there is one thing we like doing at my house when we are not on expedition, it's planning an expedition.

Thinking of the Dolomites next February. The meat of the trip will be hut to hut, self guided. I am quite sure we'll grab an apartment and do some day touring. If we hit a storm cycle, I am sure we'll log some time riding lifts.

Actually, I am quite sure that no matter what, we will be riding lifts. Seems like that's the nature of the region.

I just ordered this.

Any thoughts on good maps, other guide books, GPS tracks, etc...?
    Make sure to purchase both of Tremolada’s books, free ride and skitouring. I couldn’t find anything better than the Tabacco maps.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by hafjell; 04-11-2018 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Added links

Unfortunately not many huts are open in the winter in the Dolomites, but there are great options down low, and great lift infrastructure to get you up

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Make sure to purchase both of Tremolada’s books, free ride and skitouring. I couldn’t find anything better than the Tabacco maps.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Good call on those. They seem hard to find in the states without crazy shipping, but Wife will be in England this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Do you have a solid sponsor for this expedition? Have you approached Bunny Industries?
    The folks over at Tampax have always been pretty generous.

Good call on those. They seem hard to find in the states without crazy shipping, but Wife will be in England this summer.
    They are worth every nickel even if it's just to give you an idea of the possibilities. They also do a good job grading the routes and exposure. The exposure rating system is pretty general but still useful. The steepness rating I found to be spot on, although some have said the decimals are too subjective. The book you have has topos in it which is great. Sounds like you have some experience navigating. You will need it if you're just using Tremolada's books as the descriptions vary.
    As for Hutash's comment about hut openings, yes, for sure. Two thoughts: 1) that's ok because, imo, the food in town and on piste is so good, you wouldn't want to miss it by camping your trip away. 2) I think the Sennes and Fanes huts are open in February and can be pretty easily linked. Rates are cheap for what you get. Cecco's book will likely give you more ideas for huts which stay open in the winter.
    And, yes to Hutash again. The lift infrastructure is very solid. Using lifts and skins will get you into a lifetime of skiing. You will only scratch the surface this trip.

Really looking forward to it.
    Looks like we could do a circuit with the above two and Refugio Lagoazoi.

Personally, I would be perfectly happy grabbing an apartment for 8-10 days and basing out of there with a rental car. I love the idea of going light (ish), planning the day based on the weather and good skiing. My wife is a bit more hardcore than me, and really digs hut to hut. Thanks to her, my first real tour was the Haute Route, and have done 3 other hut to hut trips on glacier terrain. She doesn't mind the heavier pack, glacier gear, extra stuff..., and given the choice would do linear point A-B mountain trips. I suppose if this is our biggest point of conflict........

The lift structure is so good, that you can easily base in one town and hit more then enough areas to keep you busy. Once on the Sella Rounda you don't really need a car. Hot showers, good food make huts almost not worth it in the Dolomites (very different then the Haute route.)

I stayed in Arabba. You can certainly find plenty to ski on your own, but consider a guide as well. Local knowledge of what is in condition can make or break a trip. I skied nothing but great snow, while others, while ticking of good lines skied some shitty snow. Just knowing where the rappel anchors where on one run got us into 3,000' of goodness that rarely gets skied.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Really looking forward to it.
    Looks like we could do a circuit with the above two and Refugio Lagoazoi.

Personally, I would be perfectly happy grabbing an apartment for 8-10 days and basing out of there with a rental car. I love the idea of going light (ish), planning the day based on the weather and good skiing. My wife is a bit more hardcore than me, and really digs hut to hut. Thanks to her, my first real tour was the Haute Route, and have done 3 other hut to hut trips on glacier terrain. She doesn't mind the heavier pack, glacier gear, extra stuff..., and given the choice would do linear point A-B mountain trips. I suppose if this is our biggest point of conflict........
    Sounds like she has a plan. Just be prepared for a Plan B in case of heavy snow or wind and ensuing avalanche danger.
    Fwiw, not sure you'd need a car for your first trip. If you're near the Sella, all the villages are connected by lifts, and some of the passes aren't plowed. It's much faster to ski to another village separated by a closed pass, than it is to head out to the autostrada and loop around. Faster by hours.
    Also, there's much less glacier travel in the Dolomites than the high Alps in France or CH. So you should be able to save a little weight and leave the glacier gear in the car.
    Be aware too, that a lot of towns are at full capacity in February. Not always easy to get an apartment on the spot. Best to reserve.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    You can certainly find plenty to ski on your own, but consider a guide as well. Local knowledge of what is in condition can make or break a trip. I skied nothing but great snow, while others, while ticking of good lines skied some shitty snow. Just knowing where the rappel anchors where on one run got us into 3,000' of goodness that rarely gets skied.
    +1. The guides will also help you get out safely in avalanche conditions that would be very hard to sort out on your first visit. Local knowledge of where and which given bad conditions is impossible to trump, no matter how much experience you have.

All great advice.
    We wont be using any guides, though. Part of the adventure.
    As far as the car goes- Rentals are so cheap, that on the last couple of euro trips, we have found the cheapest fastest way to get from the airport to towns is sometimes a rental car. So, if it helps, great. If it stays parked, even better.

If you want to pass through some less populated spots, check out Natural park Puez-Odle. From Selva di Val Gardena, or Colfosco there are a number of routes through the park to a small town called Longiaru. You could spend a night there, then ski back another route.

You should also make a reservation now at Rifugio Fuciade outside San Pelegrino. It is almost certainly the finest of its type in the world, and no I'm not being hyperbolic. But you need to make a reservation months ahead of your trip. Plus the area north east of Fuciade offers good skiing away from lifts.

I also recommend Rifugio Lagazuoi. The view from the deck is unreal and there is good off piste skiing and touring East of the pistes:

https://www.backpacker.com/.image/t_...x260-76418.jpg

There are many other rifugios that are open in winter. Most are adjacent to ski lifts. The ones that are more remote tend to open only in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    If you want to pass through some less populated spots, check out Natural park Puez-Odle. From Selva di Val Gardena, or Colfosco there are a number of routes through the park to a small town called Longiaru. You could spend a night there, then ski back another route.
    Have you done any of those routes? I've always wanted to but could never budget the time. It would be a day trip from Colfosco using the lifts as high as possible (think the drag lift is the Stella Alpina) and then bus or cab back from Longiaru. Seems like there is a ton of touring from Longiaru, but, unusually, no lift!