Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FS: 187 Praxis Protest (Stained Glass Trees top sheet)

$$$ Sold $$$ (skis & bindings are off to their new owner) $$$ Sold $$$

For the Protests with Wardens (as shown below, with 130 mm brakes): $455 PayPal gift & shipped to CONUS ($430 for Colorado Front Range/Summit County pickup).

Price police me as you see fit ... especially for Colorado Front Range / Summit / Eagle County pickup.

I might offer the Wardens separately, but only after the Protests find their new home.
    -----

The maggot consensus is that these 187 Protests are from 2014. They're a robust layup - coming in at what I believe is slightly on the heavy side for a Protest - at exactly 10.0 Lbs.

I picked these up from someone who claimed to have 5 days on them. They look more like 5 hours, and I put two mornings on them. I may be the only maggot who hasn't bonded with Protests. I've been told to give them 4 or 5 days. Call me impulsive.

Mounting Details:

• The "live" mount is for Wardens with inserts at BSL=296 and -1.5cm from the dimple.
    • The dimple on these skis is at -7.5cm (100.5 from the tip, straight-pull).
    • I mounted them at -9cm from center (102 from the tip, straight-pull).

I'm calling these 2 mounts: (a) 2.5 mounts at the heel - 1.5 mounts are plugged, and (b) 1.5 mounts at the toe - two of the original holes were reused.

• The "live" mount is for Wardens with inserts.
    • The original mount: one STH12 toe and two STH12 heel mounts.
    • I was able to re-use 2 of the holes at the heel for the Warden mount and two of the holes for the toe.
    • The holes were filled with the xxx-er approved technique: West Systems Marine Epoxy with chopped up fiberglass.

Note: to make -1.5 for 296 BSL (Lange XT 130 Freetour) work (while reusing two of the existing heel holes), the heels were positioned a bit "forward". There's 6mm of remaining rearward adjustment, so they'll fit a maximum BSL of 302mm without re-drilling.

Scroll down for a few photos ...

Note - the dull section in the binding mount area is from a final finish/leveling with a random orbital sander after filling the unused holes with fiberglass & marine epoxy.

... Thom

Closeup of mount.
    • Heel is 2.5 mounts: two, STH 12 mounts for which I was able to reuse 2 of the holes for the Wardens.
    • Toe is 1.5 mounts: I was able to reuse two of the STH 12 toe holes for the Wardens

Wardens are extra (see pricing, above):

The worst scratch I could find (barely as deep as the structure):

Rocker:

Rocker:

Rocker:

Right binding (normal scuffs - about 20 days' use, previously mounted on my Billy Goats):

Left binding (normal scuffs - about 20 days' use, previously mounted on my Billy Goats):

Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-25-2020 at 10:38 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

These should go quick

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I put one morning on them and decided I have too many overlapping fat skis.

... Thom
    Too many fat skis, not enough pow days...

Exactly my problem - buying too many fat skis for the conditions I wish I experienced more often ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

No kidding, I've got seven pair over 112mm waist...four are 127 or wider.

Too bad. I found it takes a couple/few days to get the tail to seamlessly break, then it’s any shape turn at will. On edge they want to go looooong though as you say. I can’t but I miss mine most at this time of year . Great when snow is border line rain or when it’s a few inches over debris or set up sluff. The width isolates the ski in shallower fresh from that stuff

If you think your pow skis are good enough, you're wrong. These are good enough.

Thanks for the comments guys. If I saw on average, more than two days/year where I'd break them out, they wouldn't be up for sale.

At the areas I frequent, you have to run for the trees fairly early in the day, and frankly I don't think I'd ever make (or want to make) turns as long as these prefer to make. Maybe I should spend more time trying to master them (varying turn radius when not on edge).

I'm very un TGR-like in thst I make shorter radius turns ;-). Super-G turns are not in my job description.

How's that for a hard sell?

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-10-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    Galibier Design

This is probably the 4th or 5th 190ish pow ski thats been listed in the past week. All were great deals but it's hard to justify extra sets of pow skis this time of year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

I'm very un TGR-like in thst I make shorter radius turns ;-).
    You turn!?

This thread runs a remote risk of turning into the LVS Billy Goat thread ...

Quote Originally Posted by KillerMonkey View Post
    This is probably the 4th or 5th 190ish pow ski thats been listed in the past week. All were great deals but it's hard to justify extra sets of pow skis this time of year.
    Yeah ... what a crappy year around these parts, and the days it did snow, I was out of town or it was a weekend (I have a weekday only pass at A-basin). I picked these up early in the Winter, and believe it or not, yesterday was my first opportunity to ski them.

You're right - next Fall is a better time to sell them, but I'm not about to deprive someone who's jonesing for this exact pair by waiting until then. There's also the guy who's pondering custom Spring order who might shift his focus from a Protest to some other Praxis if he knows these are available.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    You turn!?
    Yes (both left and right) ... how gauche of me (or is that droit?)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

No one sells powder skis in April. I took some photos and posted them up top (post #1). The days are getting shorter.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

So when is prime fat ski selling time?

The day after a big dump ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Daaammmm, shocked you still have these! I’d buy in a second if I didn’t have a pair. Best pow skis EVAR bump

Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

How much for the Wardens?

I’m stoked you jive with the Q, thom...but I still can’t believe you sold the goats.

Kind of want another build/trial on the Q myself...but alas. The RES is too good.

That said, I have some C&Ds being built, so I’m out for these despite how beautiful they are.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Timing on this is driving me crazy. Bonuses are paid out in October, exactly a month after protest-pa-looza on gear swap

God bless my wife but this whole budgeting shit is garbage

Rocker photo?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I’m stoked you jive with the Q, thom...but I still can’t believe you sold the goats.

Kind of want another build/trial on the Q myself...but alas. The RES is too good.

That said, I have some C&Ds being built, so I’m out for these despite how beautiful they are.
    Selling the Goats might be my worst mistake EVER!

I can see either my GPOs or Qs being replaced by some new Goats at some point ;-)

[edit] I sort of get on with the Qs, although I still occasionally have a near "Tabke moment" with them. I think another 8-10 days will tell the story.

I love RES as well, and I wonder how I'd get on with the asym. Goats. The only weirdness I experience with the Qs is on hard stuff, but I'm growing more used to adopting a quasi-centered stance.

One advantage I can see with this stance (and therefor both the asym. Q as well as the Goat) is when skiing dust over crust. If you break through the soft layer to the hard stuff, your stance doesn't change and you don't get thrown off. This is a real benefit, and I can see ultimately bonding with asym. because of this, but long entrained neuro-habits take a few days to reprogram.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-14-2018 at 05:03 PM.
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Daaammmm, shocked you still have these! I’d buy in a second if I didn’t have a pair. Best pow skis EVAR bump

I let the ad sink to the bottom after posting in mid April, and I was too lazy to snap photos until yesterday.

Speaking of which, I'll try to snap good rocker photos tomorrow.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post

I live on a fence between BG land and Q land so these comments are always helpful as I decide which direction to jump.

But my 187 protests are awesome so someone will love these.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Rocker shots added to first post. I hate rocker shots taken base to base (as opposed to a single ski on a flat surface), but I don't have a reliable surface on which to do that ...

Also, I edited post #21, above.

Oh ... and Evergeuse - if the Protests sell w/o the Wardens ... maybe $115 for the Wardens (shipped / PayPal gift)? I think these will make it into a medium, flat rate Priority Mail box.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-14-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    Galibier Design

Rocker shots added to first post. I hate rocker shots taken base to base (as opposed to a single ski on a flat surface), but I don't have a reliable surface on which to do that ...

Also, I edited post #21, above.

Oh ... and Evergeuse - if the Protests sell w/o the Wardens ... maybe $115 for the Wardens (shipped / PayPal gift)? I think these will make it into a medium, flat rate Priority Mail box.

... Thom
    Prettiest rocker profile ever :-)

Yes. Versatile looking camber profile, especially through the the tail, while the shape looks to keep them super loose and surfy. I cant wait to see how they work for me.

Less tail rocker than BGs or Wildcats, more like Rx

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums