Roof repair question for the collective

I found a soft spot over the soffit area on my roof and need know if i need to replace the damn roof or can I have the area "repaired" ? I have water damage/dry rott I can see on the sheeting of the overhang area but no water damage signs on roof sheeting in the attic over the interior of the house. Can I just remove a section of shingles to expose the damaged sheeting, replace and plywood/reshingle ? I have a feeling if I call a roofing guy there going to tell me I need to reroof but trying to squeeze a few more years out of the current roof. If any Portland area folks know a decent handyman that can do this type of work let me know. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	231761Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	231761

I could fix it if it was my house. Do it for a living, probably not. How many other "soft spots"?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I could fix it if it was my house. Do it for a living, probably not. Before I said yes I'd ask how old is the roof? What kind of roof? How old is the house? How many other "soft spots"?
    Composit shingle and over 15 years old. House is 1979 build, it's a rental. Only soft spot I found.

That indicates a leak above soffit I'd think. Not much point fixing the soffit without finding the leak. Drop a new layer of composit over it first? Is there a plumbing vent, roof vent, something else sticking out of the roof nearby? Are the shingles nailed directly to that sheathing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

maybe tarp the roof for now to get through to drier weather
    then solicit some bids, but I doubt anyone will give you a hard number unless the source of the issue can be seen now

my guess is that you'll have to open it up and start removing materials until you can see the whole wet business from the top (even if you think you can see the issue now)
    roofing
    paper
    sheathing
    maybe even framing

have you walked the roof? or crawled into the attic to see the extent of wetness?

(i usually deal w/ gc's, but i'll see if there's someone who'd be up for weekend repair work...might be cash type thing)

It's next to a vertical wall, two level roof. i think the leak is at the flashing at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    then solicit some bids, but I doubt anyone will give you a hard number unless the source of the issue can be seen now

my guess is that you'll have to open it up and start removing materials until you can see the whole wet business from the top (even if you think you can see the issue now)
    roofing
    paper
    sheathing
    maybe even framing

have you walked the roof? or crawled into the attic to see the extent of wetness?

(i usually deal w/ gc's, but i'll see if there's someone who'd be up for weekend repair work...might be cash type thing)

i was in the attic, no sign of water anywhere. looked closely where the exterior wall at that area. I walked the roof and that's the only soft spot.

roofing
    paper
    sheathing
    maybe even framing

Just trying to buy a few more years before a reroof. Cash is how I roll for this type of stuff.

is the picture an interior space? or exterior space? kinda looks like a porch (no insul + the ply siding panels)

Plywood has to be pretty wet for a long time to get to that state. Also, looking at that pic, it seems likely that the flashing is extremely poor or even nonexistent if it is coming down the sidewall. That sort of siding, T-111, is both a sheathing and a siding at the same time, so it's super common to see piss-poor flashing details on T-111 projects.

Are you sure that bats didn't cause that damage?

Bats can be sonsabitches, ya know.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Roof repair question for the collective

fatnslow, pm'ed you a number

The guy whose number I sent did the roofing on this little bumpout to our house
    Attachment 231771

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Plywood has to be pretty wet for a long time to get to that state. Also, looking at that pic, it seems likely that the flashing is extremely poor or even nonexistent if it is coming down the sidewall. That sort of siding, T-111, is both a sheathing and a siding at the same time, so it's super common to see piss-poor flashing details on T-111 projects.
    Yeah, on top of that this POS was built in 1979 with double digit interest rates when finishing and selling 30 days early was the difference between breaking even and going out of business. In fact , I know the builder of this house didn't make it. I'm just trying to prevent further damage and buy myself a few years until I reroof if possible.

is the picture an interior space? or exterior space? kinda looks like a porch (no insul + the ply siding panels)
    Exterior wall, roof overhang over a deck. The attic and sheeting inside looks dry to the exterior wall where the truss meets the wall from crawling there this weekend. Pretty sure the flashing is the culprit so I'm thinking tighten up the flashing and remove the damaged area, patch, reshingle that area for now.

It looks to me like a soffit/porch attached to a house where the flashing failed where the porch is attached to the house or SFT but I can't tell from the picts or info given?

if it was slapped up that fast maybe there was no paper on the roof or no flashing between the porch roof and the side of the building ?

all kinds of shit can be missed even if its inspected, I was patching a couple of DW cracks in the GF's house last week, because there was no tape on 2 joints so far, I know the guy or guys who worked on it and they were pretty good but ...

edit: ok so at some point the shingles, the porch sheathing, depending on what you find possibly the header for the porch and possibly into the wall of the house might have to come off
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

what is the typical lifespan of a roof?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I think it depends on shingle quality, workmanship and mebe the climate where you live?

I got 33 yars out of the duroid roof on my last house and that was pushing it pretty far cuz buddy had to replace a little plywood in a few soft spots, IME at some point the insurance agent will ask if your roof has been replaced

First thing I look at on a listing when shopping for a house is what kinda roof??

Duroid is the cheapest to replace, torch-on means the Tar and gravel roof was replaced already, Shakes or Tar n gravel are BIG $$$$$$ ... I won't even bother look at the listing,
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Looks like a flashing problem. Fly-by-night roofers will happily replace some roofing for you, but they won't fix this problem. Whoever said that T-111 often gets crappy flashing was right.

Take an outside picture for us?

bulldoze the whole house
    something is very wrong
    no need to try to bandaid it together

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    bulldoze the whole house
    something is very wrong
    no need to try to bandaid it together
    Have you started working in Aspen?

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Have you started working in Aspen?
    same idea but the white trash version (breckenridge)
    I call it the vail remodel, leave one wall standing and start over, it's not a new house it's a remodel
    bath tub that leaks, no need to waste the time fixing the bathtub, gut it start over

If you catch it early, (or clean it up so it looks like a new problem) you can call your home insurance company after a big storm and hope the roofer can write it up as wind damage blowing the flash and shingles loose in that spot.. What's your deductible?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Fall thru the hole and collect liability and disability insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    what is the typical lifespan of a roof?
    'Till it collapses, or leaks?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

It is just a shed roof with the ledger attached to the exterior wall correct? If so, you want your flashing (and ice and water shield by code when I live), 2' up the wall. You really want to tear into that and make sure you don't have don't to the wall sheathing (T 111 and or ply).

It's not rocket surgery but it needs to get dealt with. And if the is 2x4 joists 24oc I'm gonna be pretty cautious walking that roof.