Unbelievable. I'm buying a longer probe.

Yeah, our local NSP avi instructor will give you a hard time if your probe is less than 320.

I knew things stuck when you went through the Avy class.

We have a lot of terrain traps where small slides can bury you very deep.

Picture from incident fyi shared on Facebook group where you have to be a member. You can request to be a member and you can be added

In a thread on Backcountry YYC someone else remarked on the fact that the 4m buried deep skier had skis still on anchor possibly contributing to the burial

One of the rescuers (Tim) related the partially buried skier (Maia) had her skis released and this could possibly have contributed to it being only a partial burial

Someone else asked if there were bindings that could release on the uphill

Question

4. Avalanches happen on the skin up too. This is particularly scary as our bindings are locked and I suspect one of the reasons for the 4M burial is the skis still being attached. I can't think of a way around this, my Dynafits won't stay on without the toes locked. Damn. Isn't G3 coming out with a binding that can release even if you're skinning, but has enough retention so you're not falling out? I'm going to keep my eyes on this.

My answer in the thread:

Lee Lau Re bindings that can release when you're caught in a slide

The Salomon Mtn and Atomic Backland binding have so much toe spring retention I can use them uphill without toe lever lockout. Consequently they would release in a slide

- Same applies to G3 Ion and Ion Lt.

- Same applies to Salomon and Atomic Shift

- Same applies to 2016-7 Fritsci Vipec Black ( but not earlier and later versions).

I've seen other skiers use Dynafits and other bindings without locking out the toe with success on the uphill but the above are the ones I can speak to where I can tour on them without toe lockout and consequently can release if caught in a slide

Tim Banfield I believe Maia has those G3s with a low Din setting

Lee Lau Tim did Maia's skis release?

I also practise kicking my skis off when skinning so hopefully its a reflex. Not ideal but it can be done quickly and means that you are hopefully out of your skis when in an involvement. I have BD poles with stout handles; flip them over and pound the toes of the bindings; then I'm out of my skis and I pound the poles into the snow as an anchor.

I've done this in a slide where I was caught out in ski mode and released from my skis. But unfortunately the slide was strong enough that the poles-as-anchor technique did not work as they were ripped out of my hands

Tim Banfield Lee hers released. I was trying to stop first, avalung second, bindings third

Jerry Jellali
    Jerry Jellali Lee another binding to add to your list is the marker kingping. I have the 13din model and I don't bother locking out my toes on suspect slopes on the uphill.

Lee Lau Jerry - i omitted it because i walk out of Kingpins when doing kickturns while touring uphill. If I wasn't clear that list was just my personal experience. I know some people can stay in Kingpins with toes unlocked.

Nathalie Drotar
    Nathalie Drotar Lee Lau i definitely need to practice this.. thanks for posting

Kieran Crimeen
    Kieran Crimeen Plum toes skin fine unlocked too and I think some ATK models have adjustable toe retention when 'locked'

Incredible recovery with a very deep burial. We had an 11-12 foot burial that took over an hour to dig that depth (note - the Avy occurred the day prior and had time to setup). To dig that depth with this outcome is really incredible. Hats off to the rescuers.

At such depth, any slight change in probe angle would make a big difference 320cm down, probably hard to probe in a systematic manner. Just keep at it until you get a hit.

Qualifies as miraculous

So glad this had a positive outcome. The first pic is downright scary. The second pic with them hugging gives the feels.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    At such depth, any slight change in probe angle would make a big difference 320cm down, probably hard to probe in a systematic manner. Just keep at it until you get a hit.
    The systematic approach is what they did. Their initial depth was 4m+. They dug 1m approx down so depth was now 3m approx. They then got the probe strike then transitioned to conveyor method. Of course the rescuers executed flawlessly

Holy crap. Herculean rescue efforts!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Yeah, geez, I feel like I know people who would find someone 4 meters down, assume they were dead without bothering with all that digging and ski out with a call placed to SAR to recover the body later.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Yeah, geez, I feel like I know people who would find someone 4 meters down, assume they were dead without bothering with all that digging and ski out with a call placed to SAR to recover the body later.
    Surely you don't ski with people like that
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Surely you don't ski with people like that
    You're absolutely right, and I in no way condone that sort of behavior. But nonetheless, I do know people who I think may react to a situation like this in that way.

Wow, hell of a story.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I'd at least dig for the free gear, and there could be beer in the pack too
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
    Going for help or hanging myself in my room that night has never crossed my mind (until reading about it this season, but still not an option).
    This isn't the thread to cunt with arguing but have some respect. Without any insight beyond the words on a screen, instead of critiquing the decision making that lead to that incident you appear to be attacking the character of those involved.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    The systematic approach is what they did. Their initial depth was 4m+. They dug 1m approx down so depth was now 3m approx. They then got the probe strike then transitioned to conveyor method. Of course the rescuers executed flawlessly
    Must be pretty nerve wracking to see 4m as the lowest number in the fine search. Would make me second guess myself for sure, but here’s a perfect example of why you need to trust yourself and stick to the system you’ve practiced.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    This isn't the thread to cunt ...
    Agreed, removed