BD Link vs Helio?

I'm looking to replace my Voile Vectors as an inbound pow ski as well as touring on the not really deep days in VT. The new Ultravector and Supercharger have a bit too much overlap with my older Chargers so I like the look/specs of the Black Diamond Link 95 and Helio 95. I have read the spec sheets and know the difference in the layup & materials but wonder if anyone has skied them both and has any insight as to how each of them skis compared to the other.

TIA.

Haven't skied the Link, but love my helios...now using it for most inbound days. Kinda nice to have super light boot (Vulcan), binder (tecton) and helio. After 10 days on this setup, I'm doing almost everything I used to need super stiff boots and skis for, only more enjoyable...to each his own

Ps for what its worth, i was on the carbon convert a couple years ago, night and day difference. Wouldn't say same thing then

I disagree- I have the Helio 105 and they are too light and chattery for use inbounds. Sure they can be used inbounds but i would go for the heavier Links

I have the BD convert (non carbon) which I think is the same as the Link 105. I like them for touring although they are Not Stiff. They are great for tree skiing. Would probably be good for east coast tree skiing inbounds (which I used to do a lot) if you want a light + responsive ski.

Wonder if the OP meant the Route 95? Comes from the same mold as the Helio but with no carbon and I think a heavier core. Have skied the Helio 105 and 116 extensively - they ski very well for the weight but definitely not in bounds skis. Also the cosmetics and top sheets are not very durable, although it’s a superficial concern. I’ve wondered if the Route series would be better in this regard.

Thanks for the replies. I’m all over the place right now-BD Link, Helio, Voile V6, and others I haven’t considered so any insight is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I’m all over the place right now-BD Link, Helio, Voile V6, and others I haven’t considered so any insight is helpful.
    I have V6 BCs as my primary touring ski and while I love it for touring (light but not ultralight, turny in the trees, great float for the width) I prefer a heavier, beefier ski for my inbounds ski. If you’re coming off Vectors as a resort ski then this would probably be a non-issue for you.

Well the link skis like shit and the helio 95 doesn't... For modern BD skis there are pre helio skis and post helio (built by Blizzard) skis. Its not really worth comparing the older ones to the new ones.

The route 95 would make more sense. It's a stronger, damper helio 95; still made by blizzard. I'd look that direction, although it has a much stiffer tail than the link or vector. you want to use it for in-bounds pow, the route 105 is your ticket. it was my favorite and the most versatile of the BD line up. Tail released smoother than the 95 in the chop or tight places.

^^^good stuff, XD. Knowing that Blizzard makes the Helio & Route eliminates the Link.

I ski tele so a lighter weight 50/50 in/out-bounds ski might be just fine. I’ll take a look at the specs on the Route.