Thread: todos santos?

todos santos?

Anyone ever mt biked in Todos Santos before? Mrs. wendigo would like to take bikes, I'm more inclined to surf and hike/trail run. What say ye? Worth the hassle of traveling with bikes and rebuilding them every time they are pulled out of the small rental car or leave them at home and enjoy vacation in a different manner?

I got married there, and I've never heard of mountain biking, and road biking would scare me.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Supposedly there is some singletrack on the baja divide mtb route in that general area. Trailforks shows a small trail network in Todos santos. That's all I got....

Sounds HOT. I'd surf.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Sounds HOT. I'd surf.
    My thought as well. But I'm "strong minded" and only a strong minded (or stupid) woman would marry a strong minded man, and she isn't stupid, so I have some convincing to do...

Didn't Over The Edge bike shop open a shop in Todos Santos?

Sent from my HTC6535LRA using TGR Forums mobile app

Yep, Over The Edge just opened a shop down there. A buddy of mine was just there and mentioned that they have a nice rental fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Yep, Over The Edge just opened a shop down there. A buddy of mine was just there and mentioned that they have a nice rental fleet.
    Sounds like the perfect hedge. Just pack shorts, hemet, shoes and pedals.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Rad. We just booked a trip for the first week of May.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Did he say anything about trails? I took a peak at the OTE site but it didn't have much aside from mention of some handbuilt trails.

Surf. Taking bikes to TS is like bringing a surfboard to Missoula.
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

todos santos?

Just rode some rentals from OTE in TS today. It was a good time. There’s not a ton of trail, but what’s there is pretty fun.
    I wouldn’t call it a MTB destination just yet, but it sure did feel good to get out and stretch the legs on vacation.
    So many fucking cacti, it’s crazy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2949.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	304.9 KB 
ID:	234327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2957.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	625.5 KB 
ID:	234328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2952.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	279.2 KB 
ID:	234329

When you say 'not much'...does that mean 10, 20 miles?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Nice. I have a gaggle of friends who live there and while they always scream about it being moto paradise, I've never heard a mention of mtb.

Glad you made it an adventurous work.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Did he say anything about trails? I took a peak at the OTE site but it didn't have much aside from mention of some handbuilt trails.
    Sounds like about 12 miles or so.

Bump. Just booked flights for spring break 2020 to T.S. And Mascota (near Puerto Vallarta). Curious if anyone has any updates on trails in the cabo/TS area?
    We are going to surf as well there and in Sayulita.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Bump, any new trail recommendations? We will probably stop in and rent from OTE.

Any other recommendations for the area? Might rent motorcycles for a few days to explore. Headed there in a few weeks.

We drove through Todos Santos after spending the week of Thanksgiving in La Ventatana. I had emailed OTE about a bike rental before our trip and ended up stopping in there while we checked out town. Nice shop, decent rates for good bikes, but the town was pretty meh. Maybe there's something we missed and maybe it would really shine if you had a house overlooking the water?

We'd looked at staying and biking over there, but the trail options looked limited, plus we had friends staying in La Ventana so we spent the week on the Cortez side. We really liked the trails around La Ventana and it looks like there are some fun rides up in the mountains around El Triunfo and further south around Los Barriles.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    We drove through Todos Santos after spending the week of Thanksgiving in La Ventatana. I had emailed OTE about a bike rental before our trip and ended up stopping in there while we checked out town. Nice shop, decent rates for good bikes, but the town was pretty meh. Maybe there's something we missed and maybe it would really shine if you had a house overlooking the water?

We'd looked at staying and biking over there, but the trail options looked limited, plus we had friends staying in La Ventana so we spent the week on the Cortez side. We really liked the trails around La Ventana and it looks like there are some fun rides up in the mountains around El Triunfo and further south around Los Barriles.
    AV, did you rent or bring your own bike? I'm headed to TS area in early April, and thinking about doing a day riding in TS, and maybe a day riding in La Ventana. Wondering if there are halfway decent bikes for me, the missus, and my 10-yo daughters... Seems unlikely, but figured I'd ask!

Also, if you (or anybody else) has suggestions for that zone (surfing, hiking, wandering, desert-splorin', whatever), I'd love to hear em. Thx much!

Cheers.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    AV, did you rent or bring your own bike? I'm headed to TS area in early April, and thinking about doing a day riding in TS, and maybe a day riding in La Ventana. Wondering if there are halfway decent bikes for me, the missus, and my 10-yo daughters... Seems unlikely, but figured I'd ask!

Also, if you (or anybody else) has suggestions for that zone (surfing, hiking, wandering, desert-splorin', whatever), I'd love to hear em. Thx much!

Cheers.
    We just got back a few weeks ago. Bike rentals from Over The Edge seem to be the way to go, we didn't rent but they are a well known gringo company from CO. We rented dirt bikes from Omega Tours and rode around the desert. They also have scooters, UTVs, Atvs, and tours. Seemed to be a pretty good operation. We hiked at La Ventana. Really cool spot. There's a hidden beach south of town with some mean ass horses that get into your shit. It was pretty funny, we had pharmaceutical enhancement for that day. haha.

Food was the highlight of the trip. Honestly didn't have a bad meal. The Pacifica Fish market had some of the best fish and chips of my life. Jazzymanga was the fanciest place we went. Farm to table. Braised short rib was amazing. Taco spot on the highway in Pescadero was awesome. Landi's was awesome for dinner too. Octopus was best I've had. Margaritas were the best of the trip.

Surfing seemed to happen at Cerritos. We didn't partake, but lots to do around that playa.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

Cheers.
    Yo Man, sorry for the delay... was in Yurp+Morroco! We rented a bike in La Ventana; it was a pretty beat carbon Giant HT with base components and 3" tires (pretty clutch in the all the sand). We paid $200 for 5 days. I'd reached out to OTE and Rancho Cacachilas ( private, 35,000ac ranch owned by a Walton with private MTB trails) about rentals but they were like $75-100/day for nice bikes. Not that far outside Moab pricing for what you get, but we knew we weren't going to have a ton of time to ride and didn't have $500-600+ to spend on a bike.

If you end up over the Sea of Cortez side, we enjoyed the beach at Bahia de Los Sueños for beach time with the kids. The main beaches along El Sargento-La Ventana are pretty windy, but there is a lot of beach to access if you have the time and a decent rental car. For hiking: The hike out to Punta Gorda, north of El Sargento was nice (I biked out there) and there are hot springs in the beach as you head out that way. If you don't ride them: the mtb trails above El Sargento would double nicely for hikes as they're well established, marked and give you nice access to get up on the ridgeline overlooking the whole beach/valley.

We stopped in Todos Santos town on our way back to SJD and were heavily underwhelmed. We grabbed lunch down at Cerritos and were also underwhelmed by the vibe there. My wife hoped to surf the mellow break there for an hour but it wasn't really happening so we passed. In general I think Cerritos is a easy, accessible break but probably pretty busy and the main beach is a touristy "beach"