Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DT Swiss 240s 54t Star Ratchet Upgrade

I'm about to turn 40 which means I have a contractual obligation to throw money at something I don't "need".

Does anyone have any input on upgrading 240s hubs with the 54t upgrade? Worth $100?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I'm about to turn 40 which means I have a contractual obligation to throw money at something I don't "need".

Does anyone have any input on upgrading 240s hubs with the 54t upgrade? Worth $100?
    I'm only 31 but all the old timers I ride with have been raving about having 54t.

They're stoked.

Worth $100?
    Yes

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/18T-36T-54T-...6I2siHW3moLAvg

1/2 the money, wonder if its same factory etc. or crap

I think its worth it, but I'm still waiting for some more info on the Chinese 54t one. Its got some reliability issues from what I hear, but those are from a pretty small online sample. And its easy enough to swap them on the trail if need be.

Mountain biking Jong here. What's the point of upgrading the amount of teeth in a hub? More rapid pedal response after coasting?

You will automatically be able to ride like McAskill. Guaranteed!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    I think its worth it, but I'm still waiting for some more info on the Chinese 54t one. Its got some reliability issues from what I hear, but those are from a pretty small online sample. And its easy enough to swap them on the trail if need be.
    I have a couple of short rides on my €60 Aliexpress 54T ratchet now. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/18T-36T-54T-...6I2siHW3moLAvg

1/2 the money, wonder if its same factory etc. or crap
    I wouldn't trust anything from a random Chinese source that needs to be made from high grade steel. There's a reason the DT part is so expensive for what it is. Would you build your wheels with random Chinese spokes?

I dont know what the quality is on the ebay parts:

but DT puts a mark up on its parts, the US/CND distributor puts a mark up, and the local bike shop does as well. If the 3 extra hands are eliminated, the ebay parts might be as good quality. (at 1/2 or less the price)

its a gamble, and we dont know the odds, so can't decide if 50% discount vs ??? failure = deal

I think its fine, and would like to hear how it works for LC long term

I dont know what the quality is on the ebay parts:

but DT puts a mark up on its parts, the US/CND distributor puts a mark up, and the local bike shop does as well. If the 3 extra hands are eliminated, the ebay parts might be as good quality. (at 1/2 or less the price)

its a gamble, and we dont know the odds, so can't decide if 50% discount vs ??? failure = deal

You seem like a nice guy, but you really shouldn't be weighing in on the quality of steel parts from China if that's your thought process on the issue.

If I have any issues I'll try to remember to report here. Machining on it seemed fine to my untrained eye but no idea about the quality of the steel. I should be riding 3-4 days per week after ski lifts stop turning.

Anyone remember any detailed failure reports? I did read something about a few broken teeth. Surely it'll still work in that case, or I guess a broken tooth could get stuck between the two ratchets and stop them from engaging, but then you could still pull everything apart and get it running. I'll still keep the original ratchet in my backpack just in case, which I'll pretty much always wear on big rides. I did grease the 54t quite liberally with Rock & Roll Super Web and it runs nice and quiet, a lot quieter than the stock ungreased 18t, and I'll be regreasing whenever gets noisier and will inspect the teeth at that time. No slipping today riding out of the saddle on some short punchy climbs anyway.

The 54t isn't a revelation in riding by the way. My previous hubs were a Hope 24t then a Spank 27t. Didn't feel like the stock DT Swiss 18t was "bad" but I did the upgrade just because I wanted to and had the option. Riding a borrowed Inustry 9 120t did feel "nice" a while ago, but not sure how much it actually affects your riding. Maybe consider a DT Swiss 36t if you see it cheaper. Or even a Chinese 36t if it's even cheaper.
    Last edited by LC; 04-09-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    If I have any issues I'll try to remember to report here. Machining on it seemed fine to my untrained eye but no idea about the quality of the steel. I should be riding 3-4 days per week after ski lifts stop turning.

Anyone remember any detailed failure reports? I did read something about a few broken teeth. Surely it'll still work in that case, or I guess a broken tooth could get stuck between the two ratchets and stop them from engaging, but then you could still pull everything apart and get it running. I'll still keep the original ratchet in my backpack just in case, which I'll pretty much always wear on big rides. I did grease the 54t quite liberally with Rock & Roll Super Web and it runs nice and quiet, a lot quieter than the stock ungreased 18t, and I'll be regreasing whenever gets noisier and will inspect the teeth at that time. No slipping today riding out of the saddle on some short punchy climbs anyway.

The 54t isn't a revelation in riding by the way. My previous hubs were a Hope 24t then a Spank 27t. Didn't feel like the stock DT Swiss 18t was "bad" but I did the upgrade just because I wanted to and had the option. Riding a borrowed Inustry 9 120t did feel "nice" a while ago, but not sure how much it actually affects your riding. Maybe consider a DT Swiss 36t if you see it cheaper. Or even a Chinese 36t if it's even cheaper.
    Any updates? Just bought one of these for
    $46 on eBay with the recent 15% discount. Excited to try it out.

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Not sure if that's the same part that is used for the 350 conversion, but I've heard the thinner teeth do have more potential for shearing. Not sure how true that is. I have 350s, quicker engagement would be nice. It's noticeable on my CK hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Any updates?[/URL]
    So far so good.

So far so good.
    Glad to hear. How many miles do you have on the ratchet? Have you noticed changes from running the 18 (or 36?) tooth version? Would you recommend it to others?

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Glad to hear. How many miles do you have on the ratchet? Have you noticed changes from running the 18 (or 36?) tooth version? Would you recommend it to others?
    Only about 10 rides on it so far, 100-150 miles max. To quote myself from a previous post...

Something does feel "nicer" with the 54t, but if you have other things to spend money on I'd drop it down the priority list. Things are staying pretty quiet for now - my previous hubs got noisy a few rides after greasing the pawl ratchet. I'll probably open things up to inspect and regrease on every other brake pad change - I find pad changes the easiest way for me to judge regular service intervals. I also read something about people stretching the springs out a little bit to put more force on the two ratchet halves, might do that when I open things up expecially if they look like they have compressed a little compared to the spare springs I now have.

I put the Torque Caps onto my front 350 hub & Lyrik a few weeks back too. No noticeable increase in stiffness, but in theory things will be somewhat stiffer at the front end with them. Makes installing the wheel slightly quicker, not that it was ever a big problem.

I have 6 or so rides on the 54t and like it. Really noticable on step up features and riding up steep rock faces. I'm wondering how much more I'll need to service.

Awesome. Really looking forward to mine arriving sometime in June from China. Hopefully it doesn't self destruct, but I'll probably keep the 18t along with me just in case.

Seth

Just reporting that I have nothing to report. Chinese seller didn't send the first one and we are currently +15 days from when he said he would send the second. I'm going to ask for a refund tonight as he claimed 10-15 days from purchase. It has been almost 2 months.

Anybody else buy one of these Chinese knock offs and actually get it?

Seth

My vote is: definitely worth it.

No personal experience with the DT but I'd say narrowing the engagement angle on my own bikes has been one of the biggest upgrades I've made.

In the last five years I've gone from Hope 20t (18*) to Hope 40t (9*) to e13 TRS 60t (6*) and each upgrade has been noticeable. Were it comes in handy is technical climbing where you have to ratchet the pedals. Also noticeable when getting on the gas hard after coasting. No big clunk anymore.

You'll be going from 20* engagement to 6.7*. I'd be very surprised if you didn't notice a big difference right away. Especially on Raider Ridge.

Also, personally I'd spring for the real deal. I would want to minimize the risk of breaking something and having it floating around there possibly ruining your hub.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Thanks for the input. I was considering the same thing (DT Swiss brand) since the Chinese option didn't work out. Just need an eBay promotion to make it worthwhile. Didn't pull the trigger yesterday because I wanted to be sure my refund cleared from the Chinese group.

Seth

I was just cleaning my bike and though my DT 240 hub sounded a little too loud, and couldn't remember when I severed it last. So I pulled the wheel out of the frame, pulled the cassette and driver off in one piece, pulled out the 54t watched and springs. I cleaned the ratchets, springs and housing, buttered them up and put everything back together in under 15 minutes. Smooth and quiet for and good to go for another full season.

The 54t ratchet is great. Worth the price in my opinion.

Yup. Spend the hundred bucks, give or take. Find a deal where they throw in a free tub of grease and that’ll be your discount. Mini DT grease tub costs about $20 by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.