Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I have some good time on my Chinese 54t ratchet now including some punchy climbs with no problems. Pulled it apart last night to regrease and the teeth all look fine.

I finally got my Chinese ratchet in the mail and installed it on Wednesday night. I got a nice ride in yesterday and my initial thoughts are that it is a nice subtle improvement. Nothing Earth shattering, but the quicker engagement is nice. It is also much quieter than the old 16t ratchet. I'm sure it will get a little louder as the grease wears off but almost silent on the trail... Weird.

I'm carrying my old ratchet with me in my pack just in case.

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I swapped the end caps on my hub with my wife's old bike and took the opportunity to take a look at the ratchet and see how it was holding up. No chipped teeth, nothing broken, no metal shavings in the grease. It seems to be working perfectly. I have had a little slippage at time and was wondering what it was due to. . . I think that it might be the amount of grease that I used and how thick it was. I used some grease that was provided by the seller originally. This time I used some Duomonde freehub grease that is a bit lighter. I also used less. We will see if I continue to experience that.

All in all, other than having to wait a really long time to get it, it seems to be working well.

Seth

good to hear its still going strong

I just ordered and installed one. No real test miles on it yet.

1) seems just as strong/well made as the DT ones.
    2) you can really change the sound of the hub with changing lube/grease. I tried dry, vs thinner grease (stans pawl stuff) vs a wet chain lube.

I’ve been running one for a year now. Very happy with it but it is significantly louder than the standard star. I also found I like using the Dumont tech FreeHub oil way better than the dt Swiss lube. Just need to oil it a bit more often.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Just reporting that I have nothing to report. Chinese seller didn't send the first one and we are currently +15 days from when he said he would send the second. I'm going to ask for a refund tonight as he claimed 10-15 days from purchase. It has been almost 2 months.

Anybody else buy one of these Chinese knock offs and actually get it?

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    A little late reply here, but I got a Chinese knockoff, and it has been working flawlessly so far (knock on wood). Rather don’t like the god-awful racket it makes now, though. Opposite experience, this is now MUCH louder. Using very light synthetic grease, should I try oil? Super light to quiet it down, or do I have that reversed?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Just pack in a ton of the DT grease for sound control. And yea, high pitch anything is always more annoying. Try riding around Pisgah (Industry Nine backyard), it’s insufferable.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    A little late reply here, but I got a Chinese knockoff, and it has been working flawlessly so far (knock on wood). Rather don’t like the god-awful racket it makes now, though. Opposite experience, this is now MUCH louder. Using very light synthetic grease, should I try oil? Super light to quiet it down, or do I have that reversed?
    wet chain lube = much quieter for me. But its easy to pull the wheel apart to try other options. Start with a light chain lube and work thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Just pack in a ton of the DT grease for sound control. And yea, high pitch anything is always more annoying. Try riding around Pisgah (Industry Nine backyard), it’s insufferable.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Too much grease and the freehub wont work. Less=more in this application.

Haven't used these ratchets but on other dt ratchets I've used, Phil wood tenacious oil does a good job quieting those guys way down. It's super sticky, but not thick like grease, n that design needs room to work.

Now that I think about it chainsaw bar lube feels just like Phil's. Might work in a pinch lol, it's probably just repackaged b&c oil.

https://www.amazon.com/Phil-Wood-Ten.../dp/B07CPWPN8J

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk