Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    I'm going to guess he just means he found the piece of the failed pin. This was also the case for me on one occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Still I bet you are happy I came up with all them reasons for ditching the kingpin/black crows for the shift/Salomon's
    Your advice was sound. Your consultant's fee is in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I'm going to guess he just means he found the piece of the failed pin. This was also the case for me on one occasion.
    You found and were able to use? I could see possibly using a pin that popped out, but can't see how you could use any part of a sheared pin. Sounded like the poster was able to use the pin to finish skinning/skiing

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I found the broken pin and for a bit was able to use it to help locate the boot and lock the toe. As in I held it in the toe wing and stepped into it and the toe jaws held it in place for a time. Then it fell out and I just locked the toe against the boot.

On the pin failure that I found the piece that was not still stuck in the wing, it simply fell off when I stepped out at the bottom of the run. My suspicion is that it failed some ways up that run but the lack of significant forces on the run meant the jaws didn't open enough to allow it out.

I'd like to know if this is the type of scenario Raynord is referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I sent the links to this thread and the other over to NS' head of journalism and he said he's going to take a look into it.
    Anything ever happen with NS....or Marker?
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Anything ever happen with NS....or Marker?
    I can reach out to NS.

This spring/summer has been really busy for me with work travel and grad school applications so this has fallen to the wayside for the time being.

Just heard from Marker that there's a 'voluntary recall' on their 17-18 Kingpin toes due to the pin failures which apparently were manufactured by a different supplier than those previously used. Formal letter going to retailers next week plus press releases etc which will detail how to identify the toes concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Just heard from Marker that there's a 'voluntary recall' on their 17-18 Kingpin toes due to the pin failures which apparently were manufactured by a different supplier than those previously used. Formal letter going to retailers next week plus press releases etc which will detail how to identify the toes concerned.
    Woah.
    It'd suck to have to remount my skis. They survived 100+ days in Japan, so maybe I dodged the bad batch.

Do you have 18-19 stock yet?
    Thought I saw somewhere that they're orange instead of gold now.
    You should expect to hear from me Oct or Nov sometime, I need another set

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    Woah.
    It'd suck to have to remount my skis. They survived 100+ days in Japan, so maybe I dodged the bad batch.

Thought I saw somewhere that they're orange instead of gold now.
    You should expect to hear from me Oct or Nov sometime, I need another set
    Luckily none of my Kingpin sales were part of the bad batch & I've got three pairs of the 'good' 13's left.

Yep, the 18/19's with have orange metalwork which are due to me end Sept/early Oct.

is it a whole new toepiece design or I would assume the same design made by a different mfger?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-20-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    So this was a pin that popped out? Not shear? Did you have first gen never replaced kingpins?

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    It wasn't a sheer, it just fell out whole and therefore it was a failure on my part for assuming shops and/or Marker pulled the defective toe pieces from the first year so they didn't get sold the following year. I waited to buy in order to avoid getting the first gen but didn't do my homework to ensure I wasn't. I will be switching to shift bindings after this year unless some glaring issues pop up.
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Training carts are for jongs. I remember back when this forum had legit bull-fighters and not a bunch of posers.

is it a whole new toepiece design.....
    Nope

........or I would assume the same design made by a different mfger?
    Yep

Interesting. My two failed toes were definitely from 2016 though... looking forward to reading more.

Any word on all the heelpieces that broke ?

Any word on all the heelpieces that broke ?
    That's what I was wondering. Seemed like the uptick in failures went beyond the toe piece. Was it only the toe pins that were manufactured by a different supplier of the rest of the binder as well?

Recall on Kingpins... 17/18s for the toe pins coming out again

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

More from WildSnow: https://www.wildsnow.com/24995/marke...2018-kingpins/

I look forward to the Shift thread...
    sproing!

Get some Tectons instead and don't look back. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    That's what I was wondering. Seemed like the uptick in failures went beyond the toe piece. Was it only the toe pins that were manufactured by a different supplier of the rest of the binder as well?
    I figured if anyone would break the king pin that would have been you and Brian is big guy and he did fine and then suddenly eveyone you know is breaking them ... I really don't see the pattern/don't know what to think

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    More from WildSnow: https://www.wildsnow.com/24995/marke...2018-kingpins/

I look forward to the Shift thread...
    i stopped reading wildsnow because of misinformed unresearched pointless one-paragraph posts like that one.
    ALL Kingpins recalled?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Get some Tectons instead and don't look back. Seriously.
    all plastic binding, with a skinny heel clamp where multiple reviewers reported a notably lesser power transfer.
    look online for tecton failures and you wont find not as many as kingpin, but still numerous. it doesn't have the anti-fanboy (whatever the word is) following like marker does here tho.

ive also considered the shift. its a very exciting big step forward. i think very soon alpine bindings will be extinct.
    but it too is also all plastic, heavier, has a pathetic height riser, and is too new for me to take into the wilderness.
    it also has about 5000 moving parts to change between modes. i live in Hokkaido the winter, and touring mid-winter can often mean blizzard conditions at -20c with huge winds. every single piece of my gear gets jammed up with ice, including my beard. i carry antifreeze, a wire brush and a toothbrush in my backpack specifically to de-ice frozen gear, i don't need it so much myself but those guys on frame bindings really suffer when they get all iced up. i'd give shift's many moving parts about 10 minutes before you're not able to change between tour and walk anymore, let alone a 6 hour slog up yotei.

[QUOTE=anything;5402989]i stopped reading wildsnow because of misinformed unresearched pointless one-paragraph posts like that one.
    ALL Kingpins recalled?

I always take into account all sources of info and lou is usually has pretty good info whether I agree with him or not so don't know why you would stop reading a source of info just cuz you dont like what he is sayin, in any case the kingpin is too heavey too un-minimalist too alpine like so I don't think the kingpin is really in Lou's radar so I am surprised he is even covering it ...i think he is just forwarding a comunica

[QUOTE=XXX-er;5403001]
    i stopped reading wildsnow because of misinformed unresearched pointless one-paragraph posts like that one.
    ALL Kingpins recalled?

I always take into account all sources of info and lou is usually has pretty good info whether I agree with him or not so don't know why you would stop reading a source of info just cuz you dont like what he is sayin, in any case the kingpin is too heavey too un-minimalist too alpine like so I don't think the kingpin is really in Lou's radar so I am surprised he is even covering it ...i think he is just forwarding a comunica
    it is probably mostly markers fault too, the communique he linked literally says all bindings recalled.

you are correct about taking into account all info sources too. i especially love bad reviews, when taken in correct context (ie nobody complains when shit works good) i feel i learn more than from reading something's flaws that from something that just says everything is good.

ALL Kingpins recalled?
    Yes, it's apparent you stopped reading. "Marker USA is voluntarily recalling all 2017/2018 Kingpin bindings . . ."

Without thread jacking into "is Wild Snow good?", I'd wager there are few, if any, ski writers that actually have as much inside information as Lou and crew do. This ain't Powder mag.

Sounds like you should just give up on tech bindings, get some Pivots, and start bootpacking. Back to basics.
    sproing!

all plastic binding, with a skinny heel clamp where multiple reviewers reported a notably lesser power transfer.
    look online for tecton failures and you wont find not as many as kingpin, but still numerous. it doesn't have the anti-fanboy (whatever the word is) following like marker does here tho.

ive also considered the shift. its a very exciting big step forward. i think very soon alpine bindings will be extinct.
    but it too is also all plastic, heavier, has a pathetic height riser, and is too new for me to take into the wilderness.
    it also has about 5000 moving parts to change between modes. i live in Hokkaido the winter, and touring mid-winter can often mean blizzard conditions at -20c with huge winds. every single piece of my gear gets jammed up with ice, including my beard. i carry antifreeze, a wire brush and a toothbrush in my backpack specifically to de-ice frozen gear, i don't need it so much myself but those guys on frame bindings really suffer when they get all iced up. i'd give shift's many moving parts about 10 minutes before you're not able to change between tour and walk anymore, let alone a 6 hour slog up yotei.
    I’ve got a bunch of days on both. Tectons ski way better than Kingpins, primarily because of some lateral toe movement closer to a regular DH binding. And while some Tectons have had issues, it’s not even in the same league as Marker, hence the recall and all of the threads here.

All plastic? Sure... Nevermind that the kingpin heel relies on a flimsy piece of carbon fiber you could easily snap with two fingers.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.