Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    ^good call. I can actually make a google spreadsheet doc where people can put in the data themselves if that would be easier for everyone?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pinfailure 2.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	232132

I think this one is moar betterer.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pinfailure 2.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	232132

I think this one is moar betterer.
    Even more confident that’s a fatigue failure after seeing that. What’s that spot on the edge of the pin at about 3:30?

To be clear, the pointy side of the pin is the opposite side from what you're looking at.

Anyways, that spot just appears to be part of the pattern from the failure. It's less visible upon naked eye inspection and does not appear to be a dent or cavity like the opposite side of the pin which is noticeably deformed and non-planar.

At this point you may also want to consider speaking with an attorney. It's currently a customer service issue, however broad it may be, but Marker will not take it seriously until there is the threat of litigation.

Going to the press first is not the way to do it if you can prove the product is dangerous to the consumer.

Didn't the shop give him another toe piece which will probably break but for what reason are you suing ?

SO you wana lawyer up and sue Marker for 739CAN $ but doesn't someone/something actualy have to prove a damage or a loss ?

which brings up another point that I'm pretty sure Nickel is a mutherfucking Canadian ... so how far is that gona go?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Didn't the shop give him another toe piece which will probably break but for what reason are you suing ?

SO you wana lawyer up and sue Marker for 739CAN $ but doesn't someone/something actualy have to prove a damage or a loss ?

which brings up another point that I'm pretty sure Nickel is a mutherfucking Canadian ... so how far is that gona go?
    Class action consumer safety lawsuit>>>mandatory recall>>>replacement and/or refund

It was also just a suggestion because most major ski media outlets will not bite the hand that feeds and all THIS work to prove that the kingpin is a faulty POS will go nowhere.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...ct-safety.html

I like how things escalated from, "Marker, makes a shitty product they should probably recall" to "Class-action, lets make more hay!"
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

This all reminds me of the Marker 'Explodamat' days, but people still bought them...

Hopefully, these efforts will influence change, but you'd also hope they are working on solutions.

On the technical term front: a shear force is along a plane while a bending moment is a rotational force. I would thing the pins shear and the wing breaks would be more likely due to bending.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by sickturd View Post
    Going to the press first is not the way to do it if you can prove the product is dangerous to the consumer.
    This.

The OP seems to be trying to accomplish two things with one written piece which reads like magazine copy, not a letter to Marker. I think it's okay to solicit information from other online forums to collect failure data but you have to be more brief, list the issue of concern, and let the readers know where to submit failure data for compilation. Once you have enough data, assuming you see a reasonably high number of failures, approach Marker.

Fuck writing them a letter, and fuck litigation.

Just get a bunch of angry ex-marker customers to continue to repost the failure photos and comment on all marker reviews and media. With all the reliable options out there, why would anyone buy a marker product? The only reason I could imagine that someone would buy a marker product is because they are unaware of the poor quality.

Launch a campaign to educate the public. Force their hand...dont fucking hold it.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post

Just get a bunch of angry ex-marker customers to continue to repost the failure photos and comment on all marker reviews and media. With all the reliable options out there, why would anyone buy a marker product? The only reason I could imagine that someone would buy a marker product is because they are unaware of the poor quality.

Launch a campaign to educate the public. Force their hand...dont fucking hold it.
    Probably the best approach in reality, and quicker than compiling data.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post

I tend to agree...

It’s not like Marker is unaware of the situation.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

yeah ^^ and the stock answer is talk to your dealer but it doesn't sound like they have told the dealer anything more and the ski season is mostly over for 17-18

Altho it is kind of entertaining watching a bunch of dentists pretend they are lawyers & engineers

Letter to Marker Re-Kingpin

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I tend to agree...

It’s not like Marker is unaware of the situation.
    Me too. Even if Marker is unaware, I think they will pay much more attn if there is an onslaught of pics and stories all over their social media and any eyeball heavy review sites
    Last edited by mcski; 04-13-2018 at 10:20 AM.

I certainly would not pretend to be an endinerd and my sore back and empty wallet should be proof enough that I'm no lawyer or dentist.

Fuck marker.

I know a lawyer.... there's no colorable lawsuit here. Different failure points, no injury, warranty replacements are being provided (no damages) - there's no case. THANKFULLY. Last thing any of us want is a Thin Cover-type incident that would actually support a case. So, forget litigation.

The hay here is (1) getting Marker to admit there's a problem and/or that they are looking into and (2) preventing serious injury. Are there other goals?

A letter to Marker won't do shit.

But Marker will listen to public opinion or - better yet - a public article calling them out. Moreover, if there is eventually a serious injury that results in litigation (I hope not...), that public article will be evidence that Marker should have been aware of the problem, and failed to do anything to (1) warn the public, (2) examine the problem, or (3) rectify the problem. You better believe their lawyers will freak when they see it.

ETA: this is all under Freedom Law, I mean law in the US. No idea how this would play out in Canada or Germany or wherever Marker is HQ'd.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I know a lawyer.... there's no colorable lawsuit here. Different failure points, no injury, warranty replacements are being provided (no damages) - there's no case. THANKFULLY. Last thing any of us want is a Thin Cover-type incident that would actually support a case. So, forget litigation.

The hay here is (1) getting Marker to admit there's a problem and/or that they are looking into and (2) preventing serious injury. Are there other goals?

A letter to Marker won't do shit.

But Marker will listen to public opinion or - better yet - a public article calling them out. Moreover, if there is eventually a serious injury that results in litigation (I hope not...), that public article will be evidence that Marker should have been aware of the problem, and failed to do anything to (1) warn the public, (2) examine the problem, or (3) rectify the problem. You better believe their lawyers will freak when they see it.

ETA: this is all under Freedom Law, I mean law in the US. No idea how this would play out in Canada or Germany or wherever Marker is HQ'd.
    thank gawd we finaly got an actual legal opinion ^^

IMO you want to force Marker to say something anything even just admitting they know so get the word out on media so marker knows that everybody knows ... force their hand

knowledge of a problem is key IME, not a lawyer but in spite of my questionable driving I successfully claimed for damage to my car by citing precedents in the Supreme Court of Canada ... failure of the town to warn the public of a hazard of which they were aware.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    This.

The OP seems to be trying to accomplish two things with one written piece which reads like magazine copy, not a letter to Marker. I think it's okay to solicit information from other online forums to collect failure data but you have to be more brief, list the issue of concern, and let the readers know where to submit failure data for compilation. Once you have enough data, assuming you see a reasonably high number of failures, approach Marker.
    It's not meant to be a letter to Marker, my mistake with the title.

It's meant to go out to influential media players in the ski world. They can run it as-is or they can take the pictures and data and do what they'd like with it.

Hopefully one or two of them actually bites and runs it.

I imagine Newschoolers would. If they do, perhaps it starts spreading around the web and marker has to address it.

I'll finally have time to work on it tonight/this weekend. A saddle sore is keeping me off the bike and I'll have nothing else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    It's not meant to be a letter to Marker, my mistake with the title.

It's meant to go out to influential media players in the ski world. They can run it as-is or they can take the pictures and data and do what they'd like with it.

Hopefully one or two of them actually bites and runs it.

I imagine Newschoolers would. If they do, perhaps it starts spreading around the web and marker has to address it.

I'll finally have time to work on it tonight/this weekend. A saddle sore is keeping me off the bike and I'll have nothing else to do.
    Ah, that makes more sense!

Saw this today

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2657...6287087696873/

Facebook-group for the Tamok-area in northern Norway.

First I've seen in Scandiland

so what's the general consensus, are they failing down to the elasticity in the heal coupled with a solid toe that has no give?

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

I'm gona go with a materials issue, some bad/wrong steel but thats just the toe thing

not sure why along time alpine binding MFG can't make an alpine style heelpiece ?

I don't think so at all. I think the pins are made of a substandard metal. I am in no way qualified to offer up such an opinion so feel free to discard it.

This has kind of always been the way with releasable tech anyways hasn't it? Vertical/rad1, ion etc etc all have some "elasticity" in the heel and a completely rigid toe. The kingpin just holds the heel down. If anything, I'd think your foot would move less as the heel connection is much more rigid.