Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Remember when mags wouldn't even look at Markers?

So you guys are saying your failures came after ~100 days of hard use on a pin tech touring binding, including inbounds? Seems about right. What's the problem?
    If you haven’t been paying attention please don’t comment... what you said couldn’t be further from the truth.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Holy shit. There’s like a 19 page thread on this. These are failing in the backcountry just the same, sometimes with limited use.

I stand corrected then.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Didn’t mean to be a dick about it, it’s just been well hashed out at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    It really doesn’t matter how they marketed it. This isn’t a court case. There have been plenty of BC failures.
    No I know that, but here is my logic for wanting the PR release. If it's failing in the BC despite it being marketed as a do-it-all binding, then there is a serious problem that isn't just shitty luck.

XXXers post from the other thread showing they claimed it could be used in bounds

" My point was that most of us who bought kingpins last year did it with all - yet limited - information available. "

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5042-2...pin-13-Binding
    Description
    Show Description

" Something of a revolution in the world of tech bindings, the Kingpin Bindings use a conventional tech toe piece with a an alpine-style heel that has no tech pins. The result is a lightweight frameless tech binding for resort skiing, touring or skiing lift-accessed sidecountry runs. It allows you to really charge hard on the downhill and has an easy, ergonomic stride when you get back on the uptrack. With an easy conversion from walk to ski mode (flip a lever, push down on the heel and you’re good to go) it really is a quiver-of-one binding option. "

So at least one site ^^ ( 1/3rd of all Canadians belong to MEC) touts the Kingpin as the do-it-all holy grail, and all the stuff written about it elsewhere was talking about the 2nd coming of christ so them retards in whis were just using the binding as advertised AND hyped

after the loose toe pins got fixed Kingpin was working swimmingly for a season but suddenly Marker can't make an alpine style heel piece and those shearing toe pins are not a usual failure of any tech breand ... some things are just not adding up

Personaly I wouldn't want to be working using pin bindings on a ski but in theory everyone was saying you could have

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app

I wish you guys success with this endeavor, but what are you asking for?

I think that the Kingpin is not the binding you thought/it was advertised to be. It's pretty clear that an alpine heel with elasticity paired with the rigidity of the tech toe has led to this. The noted issues here might be more to do with how hard you guys ski them / how fat you are.

Why not just ask for financial compensation and buy Shifts or Tectons? Unless Marker is bringing out something new for the toe piece, replacing parts will just be reinforcing a failed product.

I am both fat and hard skiing so admittedly a good stress test of bindings. I previously used dynafit radicals for 3 years. I blew up a couple heel top caps/ riser mounts like lots of others did but never experienced any full blown structural failures. Nothing that risked my health or left me without a usable means of travel. No sheared pins or detonated heel pieces.

I have never broken an alpine binding, not that its particularly relevant.

As for what I hope will come of this? Ideally for marker to acknowledge something is up with the pins. I'd like to know what it is and what's being done about it. This is not a normal failure mode, fat and hard skiing or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well yeah cuz Marker have already ignored nickel once so what would make them want to respond with anything more than " talk to your dealer " is the question ... maybe when other ski journalists start asking
    those journalists wont get invited to go skiing a week in Chile anymore if they do something.
    btw. shops in Austria ski resorts report consistently 1-2 dozen broken bindings (dont know how many they sell, i guess around 20-100 should be a good guess)

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post
    The noted issues here might be more to do with how hard you guys ski them / how fat you are.

Why not just ask for financial compensation and buy Shifts or Tectons? Unless Marker is bringing out something new for the toe piece, replacing parts will just be reinforcing a failed product.
    I think the biggest issue as Nickel and others have alluded to is the lack of comment on the frankly now common pin-shear. It isn't just happening to people skiing them inbounds but to those using them in the BC as well. You've seen numerous other brands get skied in bounds that haven't had pins shear at the rate these are.

If my understanding of the wants and needs of some of the posters are correct, it's that they want an investigation from Marker, or at least the appearance of one. I imagine many would be OK with an official response by Marker saying they're investigating the problem and will be in touch soon before actually following up to hear the stories behind the episodes where the pins broke.

I'll post an updated version later today/early tomorrow. I won't post the pictures I'll include but before I send it off I'll post the final google doc link with the official formatting

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I think the copy has changed on the website. I too had a look. I can't imagine all the online retailers would just add in the stuff about inbounds use of their own volition as it's general a direct copy/paste from brand material. As stated elsewhere, isn't of a huge importance.
    No I don't think it's of huge importance, just found it interesting. Might go see if I can dig up the marketing material from year one. I met with marker/volkl at outdoor retailer that year. Maybe I still have it?

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Ever seen any other pin binding have toepins shear on a regular basis? I've seen Dfits ridden hard inbounds and out, never heard of this sort of thing. Failures yes, but not of this catastrophic and repeatable type.
    Red circle: dynafit tourlite tech bindings purchased in 1998ish and beat to death with regular seasonal use for at least a decade. Inbounds, outta bounds, summer skiing in grit, dirt, sand rocks, heliskiing, bashing moguls, slaying hard groomers, crud and blueberry bushes. After a decade the plastic heel piece housings ovalized due to wear and they rock vertically on the alu posts. No biggie, shove some voile ski strap material in the gap and you have some elasticity. Still in use for couloir spring missions and summer skiing on the Declivities.

Yellow circles: coupla pairs of dynafit vertical ft/st purchased in mid and late 2000's. Even better durability as the heels piece housings haven't yet ovalled out on the post...mainstay daily driver bindings. Only issues were a few broken heel baseplates/posts from multiple remounts and very abusive heel stomping uphilling on hard snow and b.c. coastal forest bushwhacking employing 'emergency techniques' to prevent backsliding to certain impalement in the welcoming open arms of fields of devil's club.

That's the kind of durability I expect from dropping half a grand or more on a pair of g*&damn touring bindings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090302.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	514.7 KB 
ID:	231739
    Master of mediocrity.

Fuck Marker. Just stop buying their products. The letter should read;

Fuck You Marker,

We are sick of you not acknowledging that your product is a dangerous piece of garbage. As a collective we have decided to not buy your products and to actively dissuade others from buying them. Good luck on your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

The League of Internet Skiers.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Didn’t mean to be a dick about it, it’s just been well hashed out at this point.
    Didn't think you were being a dick at all. And yeah, continue to fuck Marker, I guess.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Red circle: dynafit tourlite tech bindings purchased in 1998ish and beat to death with regular seasonal use for at least a decade. Inbounds, outta bounds, summer skiing in grit, dirt, sand rocks, heliskiing, bashing moguls, slaying hard groomers, crud and blueberry bushes. After a decade the plastic heel piece housings ovalized due to wear and they rock vertically on the alu posts. No biggie, shove some voile ski strap material in the gap and you have some elasticity. Still in use for couloir spring missions and summer skiing on the Declivities.

Yellow circles: coupla pairs of dynafit vertical ft/st purchased in mid and late 2000's. Even better durability as the heels piece housings haven't yet ovalled out on the post...mainstay daily driver bindings. Only issues were a few broken heel baseplates/posts from multiple remounts and very abusive heel stomping uphilling on hard snow and b.c. coastal forest bushwhacking employing 'emergency techniques' to prevent backsliding to certain impalement in the welcoming open arms of fields of devil's club.

That's the kind of durability I expect from dropping half a grand or more on a pair of g*&damn touring bindings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090302.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	514.7 KB 
ID:	231739
    This. This is the kind of stuff I'm referring to. It shocks me that people are being dismissive of what's happening to a 750$ binding. Random failures attributable to individual user's vagaries are one thing but this is different and unacceptable.

This. This is the kind of stuff I'm referring to. It shocks me that people are being dismissive of what's happening to a 750$ binding. Random failures attributable to individual user's vagaries are one thing but this is different and unacceptable.
    They are $650 bindings... no need to sensationalize it takes away from credibility. Broken bindings suck.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Is Marker warrantying the broken pins/wings?

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    They are $650 bindings... no need to sensationalize it takes away from credibility. Broken bindings suck.
    Fact Check Police.

739.00 is retail CDN price.

https://vpo.ca/product/304736/kingpi...SABEgLOSPD_BwE
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Is Marker warrantying the broken pins/wings?
    Yes, but per usual with ski companies they are pretty slow moving.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Locally my bro had to wait for confirmation with marker at the start of season but at some point when everything started breaking for multiple users he was just getting parts right away no questions asked when ever went in with a boo boo. It became a running joke in the lift line " hey man how you doing break anything today ?

As for how things are handled IME it all depends on the local rep that your retailer deals with, I duno about the local marker rep but the local Dynafit rep is awesome and a pretty hardcore skier so when I kacked a rad 1 heel piece I had warranty in < a week whereas I heard of guys in yurp who could not get warranty from Dynafit on the exploding heel piece thing
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-09-2018 at 03:37 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I would take the word “shear” out. Shear describes a very specific type of failure mechanism which this is not. Unless someone has done a true failure analysis and determined it to be shear failure (I’d bet the next 10 years worth of powder days it’s not) then leave that technical specific out. Stick with “failure”, fracture” or just “broke”. The marketing guys won’t pick up on it but engineering will write you off as an ignorant fool. It’s irreverent in the grand scheme of things but will probably help with being taken seriously by the technical team at Marker, if it ever makes it that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    They've started being marked down a touch for end of season sales, but canadian retail is 740 on the kingpin 13.
    I don't know what they sell for down in freedom country.

off topic but slightly relevant. I was in a ski shop in St Anton last week some woman came in with a bust marker binding. she was a blue run type skier and there wasn't much if her. The guy in the shop "fucking Marker again" he claimed marker were always fucking up

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    I would take the word “shear” out. Shear describes a very specific type of failure mechanism which this is not. Unless someone has done a true failure analysis and determined it to be shear failure (I’d bet the next 10 years worth of powder days it’s not) then leave that technical specific out. Stick with “failure”, fracture” or just “broke”. The marketing guys won’t pick up on it but engineering will write you off as an ignorant fool. It’s irreverent in the grand scheme of things but will probably help with being taken seriously by the technical team at Marker, if it ever makes it that far.
    yeah that would change everything if Marker found out yer all just a bunch of fucking dentists
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    The marketing guys won’t pick up on it but engineering will write you off as an ignorant fool. It’s irreverent in the grand scheme of things but will probably help with being taken seriously by the technical team at Marker, if it ever makes it that far.
    The technical/engineering team sounds like a bunch of fucking tools. I’m an ignorant fool because I used a technical term colloquially? Sounds like a pretty poor appreciation for the broader world, I don’t care how reverent they are. No wonder they make shit bindings.
    focus.