Page 149 of 238 FirstFirst ... 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,725 of 5946
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    It’s to go with the $1300 self heating Air Force mug:

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-a...ee-cup-2018-10
    I remember those hot cups as shown in that article's KC-10 example. I can absolutely believe the obscene waste. My experiences in USAF aviation is a HUGE part of why I'm so extremely cynical about government spending. I mean, hell, we used to call our own planes (the C-5 Galaxy) "FRED," as in Fucking Ridiculous Economic Disaster. We referred to the C-17 as "Barney," as in Fred's little buddy. Also sooper expensive and tons of government bloat and insane levels of pork involved in bringing that plane to service. Boeing did something REALLY smart with their lobbying efforts. When Lockheed and Boeing were battling it out for the contract to provide the US with the next outsize cargo hauler, Boeing made sure that at least one part was manufactured in each politician's districts, and thus would directly have economic benefits for their respective constituencies, no matter how great or small. Lockheed offered up a very enticing package with a handful of C-5's and numerous C-130's (still a badass) for the price of ONE C-17 which had way less carrying capacity than the 5, and less tactical advantage than the 130. Boeing handily won the contract. Ironing out the kinks cost a ton more money too. Of course, Lockheed got their revenge with the boondoggle F-35 program which is on a whole other level of government WTF'ery.

And even down to the unit level, it doesn't help with the way our government operates its budgets. How it incentivizes spending every last penny in your budget so you don't get screwed in the upcoming FYs. I remember when a FY was coming to a close, the guys in charge of ordering gear would ask us, "Hey, you guys need anything? New uniforms? New computers? Anything?" Next thing you know, a bunch of expensive new gear would show up. Was nice at times, but also so stupid. We'd beg them all year for essential shit critical for mission success, but they'd have to blow out the budget at the end of the year on complete nonsense. /FACEPALM

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    And even down to the unit level, it doesn't help with the way our government operates its budgets. How it incentivizes spending every last penny in your budget so you don't get screwed in the upcoming FYs. I remember when a FY was coming to a close, the guys in charge of ordering gear would ask us, "Hey, you guys need anything? New uniforms? New computers? Anything?" Next thing you know, a bunch of expensive new gear would show up. Was nice at times, but also so stupid. We'd beg them all year for essential shit critical for mission success, but they'd have to blow out the budget at the end of the year on complete nonsense. /FACEPALM
    I hate to break it to you, but this happens regularly in private industry as well.

Just last week I was working with a factory of a major consumer goods company who was ordering six pieces of equipment from us before end of year that they have no planned use for and will go into storage when they receive it. If the plant doesn’t spend it before end of fiscal year then their budget gets cut.

I don’t know the reason why the companies do this, but it’s not unique to this one company. A lot of them operate like this.

I hate to break it to you, but this happens regularly in private industry as well.

Just last week I was working with a factory of a major consumer goods company who was ordering six pieces of equipment from us before end of year that they have no planned use for and will go into storage when they receive it. If the plant doesn’t spend it before end of fiscal year then their budget gets cut.

I don’t know the reason why the companies do this, but it’s not unique to this one company. A lot of them operate like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I guess I need to rewatch The Office. So much to learn!

(But yeah, I know why the plants do it given the incentives, but there’s not way the parent companies don’t know it’s happening, so why do they allocate funding like that?)

Hey MF, you know you could just as easily be cynical about the fact that defense companies have entire teams to screw the government out of money? Plus they donate shit tons of money to politicians who apply pressure to move quickly without proper review. You don’t want to hire more government employees and you don’t want any restrictions on capitalism so you are seeing the logical conclusion to that effort, big companies screwing the USA in the name of patriotism.

The other fun budget situation is when you have a dialed budget for your department, but some other department failed to plan on a large expenditure early in the FY, so they cut across the board by x% (or just freeze spending) and you end up unable to do what you're expected to because you provided an accurate budget and waited until you actually needed stuff to spend money, rather than buying as much as possible on day 2 of the FY.

Sent using TGR Forums mobile app

Oh, I know all right. I've worked for plenty of civilian companies too. But you have to admit that how it works with defense contractors is on an entirely different level of absurdity. SEE: The article you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Hey MF, you know you could just as easily be cynical about the fact that defense companies have entire teams to screw the government out of money? Plus they donate shit tons of money to politicians who apply pressure to move quickly without proper review. You don’t want to hire more government employees and you don’t want any restrictions on capitalism so you are seeing the logical conclusion to that effort, big companies screwing the USA in the name of patriotism.
    No doubt. The MIC is a very real thing. Same problems can be said for the prison industry, the healthcare industry, etc. That said, I still don't think throwing more $$$ or more .gov employees at it all is exactly the answer. The problems are more fundamental than that. Effectively addressing lobbying somehow could maybe go a long way. ...maybe...

Program Efficiency, Accountabilty, and Cost Effectiveness. Most folks always complain first about effectiveness and efficiency in govt expenditure, then wonder why accountability goes out the window. Whenever money moves fast through any public purse, corruption is stepping up its game. It’s a hard balance of all three.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Program Efficiency, Accountabilty, and Cost Effectiveness. Most folks always complain first about effectiveness and efficiency in govt expenditure, then wonder why accountability goes out the window. Whenever money moves fast through any public purse, corruption is stepping up its game. It’s a hard balance of all three.
    Nailed it. That said, perhaps that's where the gap widens between the govt and civilian worlds. At least from what I've seen in the civilian world, when a manager blows through budgets and timeframes, heads roll and people get fired. In the govt world, when budgets are blown, those budgets get pumped for the next FY and the guy who blew said budget gets a promotion. Certainly ain't losing their job over the matter! Job security in that sector is pretty much guaranteed, no matter how badly one screws up.

Oh, I know all right. I've worked for plenty of civilian companies too. But you have to admit that how it works with defense contractors is on an entirely different level of absurdity. SEE: The article you posted.

No doubt. The MIC is a very real thing. Same problems can be said for the prison industry, the healthcare industry, etc. That said, I still don't think throwing more $$$ or more .gov employees at it all is exactly the answer. The problems are more fundamental than that. Effectively addressing lobbying somehow could maybe go a long way. ...maybe...
    I'm all for getting rid of the legalized bribery, I mean lobbying, industry. No argument there

that spending frenzy "cuz we have to" is called march Madness around here in the gov
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I remember those hot cups as shown in that article's KC-10 example. I can absolutely believe the obscene waste. My experiences in USAF aviation is a HUGE part of why I'm so extremely cynical about government spending. I mean, hell, we used to call our own planes (the C-5 Galaxy) "FRED," as in Fucking Ridiculous Economic Disaster. We referred to the C-17 as "Barney," as in Fred's little buddy. Also sooper expensive and tons of government bloat and insane levels of pork involved in bringing that plane to service. Boeing did something REALLY smart with their lobbying efforts. When Lockheed and Boeing were battling it out for the contract to provide the US with the next outsize cargo hauler, Boeing made sure that at least one part was manufactured in each politician's districts, and thus would directly have economic benefits for their respective constituencies, no matter how great or small. Lockheed offered up a very enticing package with a handful of C-5's and numerous C-130's (still a badass) for the price of ONE C-17 which had way less carrying capacity than the 5, and less tactical advantage than the 130. Boeing handily won the contract. Ironing out the kinks cost a ton more money too. Of course, Lockheed got their revenge with the boondoggle F-35 program which is on a whole other level of government WTF'ery.

Take a look at the Artemis program and specifically the criticism of the SLS.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022...unsustainable/

The DoD has never passed an audit, ever. This year it failed again. 60% of it's assets are unaccounted for. That's unreal.

In other news, the NPR station I listed to just hired a new broadcaster. He's obviously a very recent Colorado transplant. His slips amuse me. C.D.O.T., Crested Butt. Today he said lie a son. He seems to have someone looking over his shoulder though, because on the repeat, they are usually corrected. Still funny though.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I love it when the mad December rush causes planning for future orders then the cash dries up in January and sales tank.

I'm in Baltimore from time to time, tonight for example. Barry Glazer runs some crazy ads but I think he topped himself this time.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I was going to say thanks, but someone in another thread was compaining about posting thanks, so I won't.
    That’s amusing. Thank you.

This Facebook page - "if ya, squint it's mint" - kind of like the reddit about "just rolled into the shop" but not purely vehicles. Some, quality engineering here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ifya...ibextid=NSMWBT
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Saw a bumper today that said “If you’re passing me on the right, I’m driving poorly, and vice versa”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    This Facebook page - "if ya, squint it's mint" - kind of like the reddit about "just rolled into the shop" but not purely vehicles. Some, quality engineering here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ifya...ibextid=NSMWBT
    Got an automated thread reply email for this post in my gmail. Later checked my fb and there it is in my suggested for you content.. The algorithm's too much.

This live video amuses me greatly. Should be on fire today.

Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Reminds me of watching the traffic circle around the Arc d'Triumph

This photo shoot amuses me.

“I know, let’s take it down under the freeway, where the junkies and prostitutes overdose! It’ll be ‘gritty’! Street cred! “

I think there is even a piece of garbage in the lower right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A23B3864-54B4-498F-A545-228BE6D97FF6.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	961.2 KB 
ID:	437700
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Hey it's better than showing an SUV blasting through fresh snow at 60 getting windshield shots. Watching those ads seems to be how Californians learn to drive in snow. They never show the upside down part.